Author Topic: Save money on motoring (UK only)  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Save money on motoring (UK only)
« on: January 31, 2006, 03:48:31 AM »
Hi folks

Thought I'd just share with you a couple of great websites I discovered recently which aim to help UK drivers save money on petrol (that's gas to you guys on the other side of the pond!).

The first one is www.petrolprices.com, which will show you the cheapest petrol station in your postcode area (updated daily). You do have to register before you can see the list, but this is free and takes only a few moments.

Another site, www.pipelinecard.org, is currently collecting the names of people who would like a free discount card entitling them to a discount of up to 10p a litre on petrol with a major retailer. According to the latest email I've received from them, they have over 100,000 people signed up now, and plan to launch the card in the spring. It seems as though there is nothing to lose by signing up with them, and potentially a big saving to be made on your motoring costs.

Incidentally, I found out about both of these sites from a website called The Money Saving Expert (www.moneysavingexpert.com), which is run by financial journalist and TV presenter Martin Lewis. The site is packed with hints and tips on saving money (and sometimes making it too), on everything from mobile phones to credit cards. It also has a free e-mail newsletter you can sign up to.

Apologies to non-UK residents, for whom none of this will be relevant. Feel free to post details of any similar schemes in your home country!  :)

Nick
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Re: Save money on motoring (UK only)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 10:16:49 AM »
A quick follow-up to this. Martin's MoneyTips, the free e-mail newsletter where I discovered these websites, has a special promotion running at the moment. For every new person who signs up to receive the newsletter before the end of February, they will donate 50p to build a solar-powered health clinic in Senegal.

Anyway, if you're interested in this, the URL to sign up is below (and, of course, you can cancel your subs at any time).

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips/

It's free and full of useful money-saving tips, so why not give it a go?

Nick  :)

Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.