Author Topic: Killing your character  (Read 1863 times)

Offline REShirley

• Coffee and a keyboard...the good life.
    • View Profile
    • REShirley Freelance Writing Services
Re: Killing your character
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 01:58:34 AM »
I realize this is an older thread and obviously resolved, but I'm new here as of yesterday and I'd like to respond.  If you've gone as far as you can go with the series, and you should be able to determine that by rereading the first and second stories and then the last you've written, then by all means...kill the series.  I don't recommend killing the character herself, however.

The reason I think you should keep Emma breathing is because she can breath life into other work.  You've created a fictional world in which she lives.  Other people in that world have stories too and nothing says they can't meet up once in a while.  If killing her adds to the authenticity or quality of the work, kill her.  Otherwise, use her in other ways.  Rex Stout often mentions Christy's characters in his Nero Wolfe series (although not directly by name) and Christy reciprocated in a Poirot novel by mentioning the Belgian's "American friend who grows orchids" and solves crimes.  If they can do it with one another's characters, why can't you do it within the body of your own work?
"LIfe is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde

www.reshirley.x10.mx

Offline Stafford007

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 10:14:50 PM »
I vote let her live.  You've invented a world where she can continue to exist and make any future work you might do seem even more real by having her involved in a cameo sort of a way.  I think Tom Clancy does this with Jack Ryan who is the main character in some novels but then is only mentioned briefly in others.

Bet you didn't realise playing God to poor Emma would be so tough!

Congratulations on your work so far.

Offline sjhunt2005

• me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 02:34:18 AM »
I forget the show, it was semi-popular, but a cult fav. It involved cops, firefighters,emts, nurses, etc. It ran after 911. In the end, they blew up a building with a lot of the favorite characters dying. It was so compelling, I'm mad at myself for not remembering the name of the show. I used to watch it every so often, really late at night, and always wished I'd watched every episode.

Even though I wasn't a fanatic, I was devastated at the end. I didn't expect it. I think that's what made it so memorable.

Hope this  helps,

Regards, Susan :)
Addictions are horrible afflictions, but at least they stick by you through thick and thin...

I don't walk through the valley of death, I run like a crazy person...