Author Topic: A writer returning to the writing world  (Read 1421 times)

Offline REShirley

• Coffee and a keyboard...the good life.
    • REShirley Freelance Writing Services
A writer returning to the writing world
« on: December 23, 2011, 08:13:15 PM »
Hello all,

I'm a professional freelance writer who took an extended leave to become a fulltime caregiver for a couple of years.  I'm recently widowed and have decided to get back in the game.

Of all the things I've learned over the years one of the most important is that freelance writing is a lonely profession and networking with other writers is a must...if only to keep your sanity.  With that fact in mind, the first web stop on my return trip (other than the writer's jobs sites) was Writer's Digest.com and their annual 101 best web sites for writers.  I found you there and signed up.

I've just spent the last couple of hours surfing the site and reading tons of posts.  I'm rapidly getting the impression that I'm going to have more fun reading than writing this time around.

Prior to my disappearance from the writing world the majority of my work was feature articles/op-ed/essays for print publications and a few online markets.  I also did a two year stint as a staff reporter for a midsized daily newspaper (nothing like writing news to kill your creativity.)  I also taught live writer's workshops for two different online writer's forums (both are apparently now defunct...a lot has changed in the writing world in my absence.)

While nonfiction articles are (or were) my bread and butter, I also dabble in poetry and fiction when I have time or when sudden inspiration strikes me, whichever comes first.

I'm looking forward to reading and posting a lot more on your boards and getting to know all of you, but I intend to make a living at this game again so I won't promise daily visits.
"LIfe is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde

www.reshirley.x10.mx

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
Re: A writer returning to the writing world
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 08:26:30 PM »
Welcome to the Circle, we have much to offer. We’ve divided the subjects of interest into categories. (There are subheadings under each one.) However, before you go any further, please drop by this link below and give it a read.

http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=7415.0

It will familiarize you with how we do things; our forum-educate, and limits.  Reading this page first will help. None of us wants to meltdown the servers or any of our other members.   

Visit our Coffee Shop. Make some friends in the, ‘MWC Bar’ for instance. Ask some questions and jump right in. We do however ask that you help a few others before you post any of your own work. Look for a blue pushpin at the top of each page-list you open. Read that post.

Whether you are a reader, writer, or a poet, we have it all.  As implied in the name, ‘My Writer’s Circle’, we all learn from, and teach one another. Again, welcome aboard.

Skip

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 10:51:33 PM »
Hello and welcome RES, if not regular visits here, I hope you stop in often.

That writer bug may take a back seat at times, but I doubt it ever stay away forever. Glad to hear it bit you again.

Smiles,
Alice - Deep in the Heart of Texas
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Maimi

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 08:53:05 AM »
Welcome to the forum, REShirley.

Daily visits or not, you're likely to bump into other freelance writers here. Feel free to ask a question or share your experiences. :)

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 12:30:15 AM »
Welcome aboard.  :)
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Sam Cooper

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 06:57:59 AM »
Welcome to the site :)

Offline Laura H

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 07:09:24 AM »
Welcome to MWC!  It is a fun place, isn't it?
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline millsja

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 12:03:45 PM »
Welcome back to the lonely world of writers!
 ::)

yours,

... Jim
James Maxwell

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 04:27:17 AM »
You and MWC are going to get along great, Robin. Welcome.  :)
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Lin

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 06:13:31 AM »
Hi REShirley

I know exactly what you mean about the lonely world of writing.  I am now going to spend more time travelling and meeting all these great writers.  I have had enough of sitting at my desk and in 2012 I shall go out the world of writers and network.  It's the only way if you want to get your book published.  Sitting behind a computer desk all day is not what writing is all about.  Although some might think so.  You have to meet other writers in the flesh.  I found three agents who have offered to read my novel in 2012 and one of them I have met three times at conferences.  I feel sure that my 'knowing' her will bring about some good advice even if she doesn't take the book.  It's great feedback.  

I wish you every success and hope you will start to write again - you can do it, you did it before and now you have to pick up the pieces before you regret you didn't do it.

Do it for yourself and for those who really do want to see your writing

Good luck

Lin x
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 04:10:59 AM by Lin Treadgold »

Offline Miss J Bouchard

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 02:11:33 AM »
Hello REShirley~

Welcome!
 I am new and not so lonely since arriving~
MJB

Offline thatollie