Author Topic: google docs or a word doc  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Kerrian

• View Profile
google docs or a word doc
« on: December 12, 2011, 07:44:37 AM »
Hi all,
Just wondering which is best to use to do my first draft, google docs or the normal microsoft word?
Thankk you.

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
    • View Profile
Re: google docs or a word doc
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 07:49:04 AM »
This will be up to you but for me, MS Word is easier to move from one computer to another. If you are sending your draft to someone who does not have or use google, they may come up short on viewing a G-Document.

Skip
MWC Glossary --> http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=41276.0

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 09:50:08 AM »
MS Word is more readily transferable I believe. Why not make a copy so you each available? When you get to the stage of editing and printing, you'll need back-up copies anyway so you don't wreck the manuscript you intend submitting. Fiddle about in the copies and when you are happy, make the change to the main document. ;)
Ambassador for NI. [without portfolio] 
http://www.lulu.com/shop/mwc/as-the-kettle-wolf-whistled/paperback/product-21544909.html

Offline Kerrian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 12:30:09 PM »
Cheers guys.

Offline sincerely_anna

• Love takes up where knowledge leaves off
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 12:58:40 PM »
I would always have a copy of your most recent draft on Google docs. Computers can be wonky, and the worst thing that could happen would be for you to lose your MS. I shudder at the thought!

Offline Vel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 11:38:57 AM »
I use google docs since I own several computers and use them in the various countries I'm in. It's clean and efficient, though you need a net connection to work on it. People don't need a google account to view your manuscript if you make it public or 'accessible with link' though they will need an account to edit it. I'm rarely on the same PC twice, aside from Old Reliable at home or the Leviathan I used to use for gaming back when I had a thing called free time.

Depends on how much you move around I guess. :)
Writer:  "I gave up the slave-job and I've been a self-employed writer for two months now."
Friend:  "What have you sold so far?"
Writer:  "My car, my television, the kids bicycles..."

Offline REShirley

• Coffee and a keyboard...the good life.
    • View Profile
    • REShirley Freelance Writing Services
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 02:11:04 AM »
MS Word is the accepted format in the publishing world for electronic submission purposes.  For standard hard copy submissions via snail mail it doesn't matter as long as you've written the manuscript in standard manuscript format and can print it that way.  If you're just writing it for you and don't care about submission...do what feels right.
"LIfe is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde

www.reshirley.x10.mx

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 08:41:41 PM »
Since I use auto correct all the time, using Google docs irritates me no end. The first time I write a character's name, e.g. Spell Chick, I then highlight it and make spellchick come out Spell Chick without me having to do anything but type without ever grabbing for that pesky shift key. Since I often mistype George as Goerge, geo comes out George for me.

I hate typing and try to make it as easy as possible. govt comes out government. uni comes out University. All my states and countries automatically capitalize and things like feb come out February. Since I type about rivers in general and rivers in specific, river stays river but rriver turns into River. There are all sorts of way to make auto correct do some of the crap typing stuff.

I use Google docs, but as a storage bin rather than a writing tool.

Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline mfarraday

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 12:37:33 PM »
I use Google docs, but as a storage bin rather than a writing tool.

me too.

i find Google to be slow-moving and slow-reacting. maybe that's b/c of the old computer i sometimes use it with, but....that's been my experience. so i store things on there. i think i'd be tearing my hair out if i used it to actually create things.

just my .02...