Author Topic: Prompts  (Read 747 times)

Offline heidi52

• back in the saddle
    • View Profile
Prompts
« on: December 21, 2011, 12:37:06 PM »
I always enjoy finding prompts that provide a jumping off point to writing. The object of this game is to post an intriguing prompt. It can be an opening line or an idea. Iíll start.

It was my first car
Trust life to unfold as it should, and appreciate the gift of each day.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
    • Little Bits of History
Re: Prompts
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 12:44:27 PM »
It was my first car. It was a mustard/baby shit yellow Pinto. I had to learn to drive a stick in order to make it go. I did learn, but the clutch did not survive me trying to teach my sister. Eventually, in just another malfunction, the entire shifter came off the gearbox and my Dick had to drive it five miles away, all in third gear. But he did get it to the dealer and got it fixed.

Prompt:
The milk was sour.

(was that what you had in mind?)
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline heidi52

• back in the saddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 12:59:22 PM »
Didn't think about doing that, but that's cool, in fact more cool than just going off and writing a piece. Of course people can do that too.  Your response made me laugh, I had the same exact car!

The milk was sour, but Sam poured it into his coffee anyway. Things had really gone downhill since his wife Vickie left him. Hungover, he really needed coffee this morning but the smell when he brought the cup to his lips made his stomach lurch. He poured it in the sink and watched dully as it went down the drain.
A lot like my life, he thought.

new prompt:
Her laugh broke the silence
Trust life to unfold as it should, and appreciate the gift of each day.

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 01:08:57 PM »
Her laugh broke the silence, though the mourners' expressions conveyed their disapproval. Emily never liked the old coot and was glad he lay six feet under.

John hung his head and slouched his shoulders, "Okay, I promise it won't happen again -- just like I did the last time I broke something."
Ambassador for NI. [without portfolio] 
http://www.lulu.com/shop/mwc/as-the-kettle-wolf-whistled/paperback/product-21544909.html