Author Topic: Scriptwriting and book-writing competition  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Scriptwriting and book-writing competition
« on: August 24, 2006, 05:11:32 AM »
A UK company called Breakthrough Talent is holding a competition to find a scriptwriter to write the first draft screenplay of a film and a book writer to write the first draft book of the film. The project is a comedy adventure children's film, currently in development.

Full details of the competition can be found at www.breakthrough-talent.com. The competition appears to be open to anyone in the world, and as part of the application process you will be asked to submit a sample short story or script. It's only fair to mention as well that there is a quite substantial entry fee of 22 (around $40) for scriptwriters, 19 (around $35) for book writers. The closing date is 15 September 2006.

Nick
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 06:09:39 AM by Nick »
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline Writers Block

Re: Scriptwriting and book-writing competition
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 11:34:27 AM »
HI Nick

Looks interesting, or it did.  Can't say I'm keen on the idea.  After trying to wade through the T&C I gave up

Did a search at companies house, and they actually exist.  They have never filed a financial report, which incidentally they don't have to do.  But it is always nice to see one.

Name & Registered Office:
BREAKTHROUGH TALENT LIMITED
C/O HPH CHARTERED ACCOUNTNATS
54 BOOTHAM
YORK
NORTH YORKSHIRE YO30 7XZ
Company No. 05558369

Date of Incorporation: 08/09/2005

Country of Origin: United Kingdom
Company Type: Private Limited Company
Nature of Business (SIC(03)):
None Supplied
Accounting Reference Date: 30/09
Last Accounts Made Up To:  (NO ACCOUNTS FILED)
Next Accounts Due: 08/07/2007
Last Return Made Up To:
Next Return Due: 06/10/2006
Previous Names:
No previous name information has been recorded over the last 20 years.
Branch Details
There are no branches associated with this company.
Oversea Company Info
There are no Oversea Details associated with this company.

They have been in existence for just less than a year.  They themsleves actually guarantee nothing at least as I understand it.  They seem from what I understand to run the 'competition' for an unspecified client.  It is up to the winner to negotiate with whomever their client is.  No idea if this is normal, but it makes it difficult to make a decission and removes any responsibility they have for things turning out less than ideal with their client.  At least as far as I can tell from the T&C.

I suggest caution from anyone wishing to enter.

I just don't think there is enough on their website to inspire confidence, pictures of previous winners, without any indication of what those winners went on to achieve is merely filler as far as I am concerned.

Whilst the site gives a brief bio, it is ambiguous as to whether their achievements were prior to the Breakthrough Talent competition or as a result of it.  My own personal feelings is that if it was as a result of Breakthrough Talent then it would be plastered all over the website.

Needless to say, if any information I have provided is incorrect, then I will be happy to correct it and apologise to those concerned.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 11:41:16 AM by Writers Block »
I tend to critique in a harsh manner. Please remember it is not personal, but how I prefer anyone critiqueing me to be. It is far more useful IMO.

WB

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Offline priscillia

Re: Scriptwriting and book-writing competition
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 12:39:38 PM »
hi, i reside in Nigeria so how do i pay my entry fee?