Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 5539 times)

Offline Mastafrank

Re: Hi!
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 03:31:39 PM »
Hello,
I'm a new around here- and not exactly competent online so ever so slightly daunted. I mainly write poetry and the occasional short story. 

Hi there!! You'll fit right in MWC  :)

Who are some of your favorite authors??

Offline spindle

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 11:25:26 AM »
I have eclectic tastes- Emily Bronte, Clive Barker, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Lindsey Davis, Terry Pratchett, Alan Bennett, Malcolm Pryce. I'll read anything that takes my fancy in the hope that is well written and plotted. Basically I'm a glutton!
Twitter: @ali_pardoe

Offline thatollie

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 01:38:16 PM »
Welcome aboard.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Mastafrank

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 05:15:27 PM »
I have eclectic tastes- Emily Bronte, Clive Barker, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Lindsey Davis, Terry Pratchett, Alan Bennett, Malcolm Pryce. I'll read anything that takes my fancy in the hope that is well written and plotted. Basically I'm a glutton!

I know the feeling :) At least reading books doesn't make us fat lol

Offline spindle

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 05:20:19 PM »

I know the feeling :) At least reading books doesn't make us fat lol

I am eternally grateful for that!

Offline Mastafrank

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 05:24:55 PM »
I currently have 30 books,  my favorite Authors include

Karen Traviss

William Diehl

Clive Cussler

Peter F. Hamilton

Eric Nylund

And many more...

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 05:26:54 PM »
 Hi Spindle -- welcome to MWC :) :) :)

Keep your eye open for our contests -- normally in a sticky at the top of the board on Writing Games and Challenges for the Flash Fiction, and in the Poetry Workshop for poems. ;) ;) ;)

Offline spindle

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 06:05:12 AM »
I currently have 30 books,  my favorite Authors include

Karen Traviss

William Diehl

Clive Cussler

Peter F. Hamilton

Eric Nylund

And many more...

The pile of unread books in my bedside table and by my bed currently numbers 48! (No, really!) The trouble is that every time I get the pile down a little bit, I pick up a must-read at the library or accidentally stray into a second hand bookshop and come out with five more. Whoops.

I've read most of Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels but the others on the list are new to me...I shall add them to my things-to-try list.  (I won't tell you how long that is!)  :-[

Offline Mastafrank

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2011, 03:40:11 PM »
Well Eric Nylund has written some 'Halo'novels (based on the x-box games)

And Karen Traviss wrote 4 of the 'Gears Of War' Novels. She has also written some Sci-Fi...

I have the same problem with books, therefore I limit my bookstore browsing to once a month

Offline spindle

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2011, 04:03:57 PM »
Sounds like a sensible plan  :)

Offline Amanda George

• Currently editing all my manuscripts!
    • Stories 4 Children
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 02:00:28 PM »
I have the same problem with books, therefore I limit my bookstore browsing to once a month

Amazon is your friend... you can add books you want to your wishlist and buy them as you need/want/can afford them and your friends and family can get you gift vouchers from there too!
There is no beginning or end. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present (unknown)

Money cannot buy happiness but somehow, it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes Benz than it is on a bicycle.

Offline spindle

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 04:04:18 PM »
I must admit I do love how cheap and easy Amazon is but I have this lurking guilt about enabling them to crush independent bookshops. (Not that we had one in our town anyway!) As someone who is pretty much housebound I don't let the guilt get too out of hand though.  ;D

Also Ken100 posted a worrying link on his Twitter feed today regarding indie ebooks-
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-coker/amazon-ebooks-kdp-select_b_1139260.html?ref=tw

Offline Amanda George

• Stories 4 Children
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 02:55:07 AM »
I must admit I do love how cheap and easy Amazon is but I have this lurking guilt about enabling them to crush independent bookshops. (Not that we had one in our town anyway!) As someone who is pretty much housebound I don't let the guilt get too out of hand though.  ;D

Also Ken100 posted a worrying link on his Twitter feed today regarding indie ebooks-
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-coker/amazon-ebooks-kdp-select_b_1139260.html?ref=tw

I'm housebound too and leave the house twice a month, for a grand total of 4 hours, to meet a friend but the rest of the time it's just me and the internet!
There is no beginning or end. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present (unknown)

Money cannot buy happiness but somehow, it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes Benz than it is on a bicycle.

Offline spindle

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 05:29:13 AM »
I'm not quite as bad as you Amanda- I mainly go to the odd doctors appointment, acupuncture every three weeks, the supermarket when I can't avoid it and the local writers circle once a month. When the cabin fever gets too much, I call my parents and we go out to the local woods or something. I may not get far but it's absolute bliss! I went out yesterday to get some Christmas tree lights and didn't get home for about four hours- today I feel like someone took a steam roller to me. (M.E) I've still got a small amount of Christmas shopping to do- I'm not looking forward to it.

What's keeping you indoors Amanda?

Offline Amanda George

• Stories 4 Children
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
The internet has become my best friend over the last decade!  lol

I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet but I originally thought it was Multiple Sclerosis but that was ruled out by a brain scan (CT scan  ??? ) then I went on to ME but then the poor memory really kicked in alongside the fatigue and the pain so I thought it was Fibromyalgia then someone suggested it could be Lupus but the closest I've come to a diagnosis recently is (to quote my GP) "chronic fatigue but not chronic fatigue syndrome"

Writing and being online is what keeps me sane!  lol