Author Topic: Where should I send my novella  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Writersblock02

Where should I send my novella
« on: November 27, 2011, 05:46:26 PM »
I completed a Novella that is around 21,000 words. I was trying to find out what would be the best way to try and get it published.

Should I try to get an agent or should I simply research e-books and do it myself.

Offline HPvD

• HPs Happy Writing Blogspot
Re: Where should I send my novella
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 05:01:02 AM »
Personally (although I also have been involved in co-creating actual Books) I am less familiar with traditional way's of publishing, with agents and publishing companies, I do however have a tiny little (nonfiction) ebook that people can buy on line. I also have several Blogs where readers can read more about it or can actually read an Introduction before they buy it. It's not that many pages, and because of that currently I don't even sell a Print version. (However by email I did have positive readers feedback from people that acually bought it, and because of that I might also do a possible future Upgrade - Print - Version)  

When you would decide to selfpublish, you might consider to create a blog (or multiple blogs) writing about your novella (possibly make the design in the style of your story and things like that) with on your blog a possibility to download it as a free ebook, (or low priced) that way with (your Blogposts) + your free (or low priced) download, you might be able to create a 'Fanbase' for your novella, with people that want to actually buy a (higher priced) print version. I do think that this might be a possible approach to Market and Publish it online.        
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 05:46:58 AM by HPvD »
To your Happy<i> - Writing -</i> Inspiration, http://hpshappywriting2.blogspot.com

Offline mudge

• my wish for today
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 05:47:14 AM »
It's all a "time" tradeoff in the end.  Traditional pub-houses bear the cost and effort of marketing an authors book after careful editorial scrutiny (to ensure a modicum of quality for the reader, so it takes longer but is probably worth the wait) or you can self publish and spend all your time endlessly flogging your blog or nexus of internet connections to possibly inveigle some unsuspecting people into clicking on the right thing so the webpage owner gets paid (for something of dubious quality).   >:(

I think it might be harder to get an editor to bite on a first time novella.  Not saying it couldn't happen, just lower odds.   There's no harm in shopping it around to see if there's any interest.  Wolfe, or some of the other members might have some helpful advice.   :)

edited for "smelling" ;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 06:02:08 AM by mudge »
You know that little indestructible black box that is used on planes, why can\'t they make the whole plane out of the same substance?

Lin

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 06:14:21 AM »
It's worth investing in the Writer's and Artists' Yearbook 2012

Lin x

Offline Writersblock02

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 06:41:48 AM »
I certainly appreciate the feedback. You have all been very helpful

Twitter:@writersblock02

Offline HPvD

• HPs Happy Writing Blogspot
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 08:22:12 AM »
'Yes, I do think that with the 'Traditional Route',
you probably will have a higher threshold, for getting your - First - one published'.

The great thing about selling it on line is that - even before you start publishing it - you might be able to already create a 'Fanbase' that can give you Readers Feedback, that way you might be able to make improvements, and for example from the money you make from your first printed version you could hire a professional editor for putting out your second novella, than with the things you learned from your Readers Feedback and with the help of a professional editor your second one could be a Higher Quality better 'Tailormade' to - an already existing audience - from people in your 'Fanbase'. I do think that than a Traditional Route Publisher gets your second novella practically 'Giftwrapped' Like a Christmas Gift :)      
To your Happy<i> - Writing -</i> Inspiration, http://hpshappywriting2.blogspot.com