Author Topic: Sarcastic Piece  (Read 6040 times)

Offline "lorraineofkeli"

• The World Is Yours!
Sarcastic Piece
« on: August 22, 2006, 07:43:40 AM »
Advisory Note:  Do not read if you're very religious. Don't want to offend.

The Problem with Religion: God's Ultimate Unveiling

After much pondering, it occurred to me that there is one fundamental similarity between all the major religions. It is this: There's no comedy, no sense of humour, smiles or laughter.
     Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm not the most avid reader of holy books, but when God chose to offer his words of infinite wisdom, the pearls he spread forth involved: rules and guidelines; sacrifice and death; and stories of Armageddon, (or rather, threats of such pleasantries.)
     So, amid the death and destruction, betrayal and plagues, we become accustomed to the wrath that is the all-powerful creator.  Yet, within every human being, all of whom created in God's image, there is a characteristic we share that enables us to rejoice in the common splendour that is 'sense of humour.' 
     One can argue that God's unveiling was not an excuse for a feast of light entertainment, so I'm therefore led to believe that maybe He's played the ultimate joke on humanity.

The God in every religion, upon appearance to the various messiahs and prophets has clearly shared with His counterparts His apparent lack of sense of humour.  Perhaps God has appeared to Muhammad, Jesus, and Moses and thus ignited the definitive war of the ages - the good old "my religion is the true religion' debate.  Thus, war after war has ensued; mankind has been tested emotionally, politically and all-round spiritually - and all the time, God is sitting on His high and mighty cloud harking back to the good old days of Muhammad and other various prophets, remembering how he fooled them into thinking they were special.

When will he let us in on the joke?  He sure didn't show up for the Millennium. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 12:19:07 PM by lorraineofkeli »

Offline Sherri

Re: Sarcastic Piece
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 07:58:14 AM »
This is oh so close to what I've been journaling about for years.

I live in a very Southern Baptist town and have never had anyone to discuss these things with, so I've just spent years talking to myself in my journals.

I'm not sure if I picked up any "between the lines" messages here other than the ones placed there by myself.

It's nice not to feel so alone in my viewpoint.  I wonder how many other people feel the same way?

Sherri

Offline writing is hard

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 08:14:16 AM »
Interesting piece.  Not enough there for me to really complain about in your prose. :p

Just one little grammatical thing: I think you probably meant for "...created in God's images" to be "...were created in God's image"
Why?

Offline CarrieSheppard

• All it took was a visit to AZ...
    • My blog pages
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 11:19:43 AM »
Interesting line of thought.

If you are a believer, in whichever god/God, surely its about human interpretation?  C'mon, they must have had a sense of humour or we wouldn't have politicians!

Seriously, it is difficult to write about belief because we must be sensitive and tolerant of others - but so must they, likewise, be of ours.

Keep writing.

Carrie

Offline "lorraineofkeli"

• The World Is Yours!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 12:53:43 PM »
Thank you all for your comments.
Sherri, I feel for you having to live in an area so full of faith. Is it the area known as 'the Bible Belt'?  If so, we see a great deal about the lifestyle there on TV - but then we can't be sure how true-to-life it always is.
Religion has always been a subject that fascinated me and I have written lots in the past. I think it's all basically political.  In fact, I could go on and on and write a thesis about my 'common sense' beliefs, but in the end, it's not like I'm gonna change the world!  The damage has been done, and it looks to be permanent. >:(

Offline Sherri

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 01:25:05 PM »
Yes, I live on the edge of the bible belt.  I would guess that what you're seeing is pretty true to life.  Of course, just like everything else, there are extremists.

The town I live in has a population of 24,000 and boasts about having over 65 churches.  The thing is, there's a new church being built every few months.  It could be over 100 now for all I know.

I simply don't know anyone who doesn't claim to be a Christian.  It's difficult to be involved in any extra curricular activities because everyone just assumes I'm a Christian.  It gets pretty uncomfortable when I find myself just standing there staring back at them unable to identify with what they're talking about.  Oh, I know what the bible says.  I attended church for over thirty years.  I just don't "get it."

I was actually going to write a book about my experience and how I almost lost my mind trying to deal with it, but I pretty much decided there wasn't anyone to read it since I couldn't find anyone else out there like me.

Maybe I was wrong?

Thanks for sharing.

Sherri

Offline "lorraineofkeli"

• The World Is Yours!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 01:40:02 PM »
Sherri, you are by no means alone.  Unfortunately for you, you're living in an area saturated with religion.  Thank goodness for the internet though, hey? You can share your views with a worldwide audience of believers and non-believers, and in turn see how others perceive things. If you wrote about your experiences, I'm sure many would be interested to read. Sounds good to me. What would you say you are? Are you atheist, agnostic, or do you prefer there is no label and just live your life?

Offline Elodie-Caroline

• Jean Reno by Elodie
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 01:48:15 PM »
I sure hope that no one's going to take offence at your posting in the first place; but I reckon we should start up a new 'Sense of humour' religion ... I'm sure it would cause a lot less wars than any of the other religions! lol  :D

You're right about there being no sense of humour in religions though: ALL religions were only made up by mortal men, to tell other men how they want them to live, so all it really is is a higher form of politics. Saying that though, I am religious in my own way, I do believe in something other than what's on this earth, but the religions that try and preach to me how to live, and usually by hypocrites, just don't do it for me.

Ellie

Offline lee_chick

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 01:54:16 PM »
Sherri - I definitely think you book idea has merit.  Confusion over religion and identity is a topic that is never going to cool and I think that as long as you can bring a fresh perspective or voice to the topic you will never have to worry about lacking an audience. 

Personally I'm not the religious type - I'm not entirely sure what I believe and have too many other big topics to navel-gaze on to spend time fretting over it but I would have to agree that the vrey existence of organized religion has to be proof that if there is are higher powers lurking out there they have a wicked (if cruel) sense of humour.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

http://conversationswithacat.blogspot.com/

Offline Sherri

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 02:00:29 PM »
What would you say you are? Are you atheist, agnostic, or do you prefer there is no label and just live your life?
I would have to say I prefer no label.  At one time I thought "agnostic" would work but even that bunch seems to have too many nit-picky rules.

I'm just me.  Yeah, there's definitely something way larger than me goin' on but I haven't got a clue as to what it is or who it is or how it works.

I'm happy to be here even though my life has been riddled with pain and tragedy, but I've certainly found no comfort in religion.  And believe me, I tried.

I reckon we should start up a new 'Sense of humour' religion ...

I like the sound of that ;D

Sherri

Offline Sherri

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 02:04:09 PM »
but I would have to agree that the vrey existence of organized religion has to be proof that if there is are higher powers lurking out there they have a wicked (if cruel) sense of humour.

That is SO true and lorraineofkeli said it so well in this very post.

Thanks guys!
Sherri

Offline "lorraineofkeli"

• The World Is Yours!
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 07:44:54 AM »
I don't want to spark any religious debate, but I just had to share this reply I had to this piece on my blog. This person is one of those who claims that Christianity is the right path to follow, since they clearly want to state that other religions make God out to be vengeful etc etc.  This person has it on good authority that God sits on a throne... now this is the type of reply that baffles me - one person claiming their 'truth' is the truth above all others.  And why? Because they read it in the Bible!  ::) I think my point was lost on this one.

Christianity was never meant to be a religion. We were created for His pleasure(Rev 4:11 KJV). Just as you spent time with your partner (if you have one) or spending time with your friends, so God wants us to spent time with Him.

Who says we can not have a sense of humour? In all other religions, God is seen as a harsh, dictating, humorless Being that will kill you on the spot. They see Him as an impersonal god (emphasis on small g). The true God is not like that.

As for rules and guidelines, sacrifice and death, stories of Armageddon, think about the following.

As a parent you set down rules and guidelines for your children because you know what is best for them. So God set down rules and guidelines because He knows what is best for us.

Jesus Christ became the sacrifice for us that we may escape hell. Death is part of life. (There is a reason for death.)

As for Armageddon, since the beginning Satan hated God and is trying to get to Him, but since he can't, he attacks us, God's creation. In Revelation, Satan will try in vain to get at God but will ultimately lose. This will result in Armageddon. It will be a difficult time.

God has never played a joke on humanity. Of coure we may enjoy ourselves. Nothing wrong with that. But there are limits.

God did not ignite the definitive war of the ages - the good old "my religion is the true religion' debate. Satan did, because he does not want us to know the true God.

You said, God is sitting on His high and mighty cloud harking back to the good old days of Muhammad and other various prophets, remembering how he fooled them into thinking they were special.

Say what? BTW He sits on a throne. A prophet is not special in any way. God uses prophets do bring His Word to the people. A true prophet is someone who prophesy and if the prophecy proofs to be true, he is a true prophet.

Lastly, there is no joke. And who said He would show up for the Millenium? He will come when the time has come.

God bless.

Offline CarrieSheppard

• All it took was a visit to AZ...
    • My blog pages
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 10:59:54 AM »
You are not going to win on this one, are you?

It is all about interpretation.  I'd love to know how that person knows that every other religion except theirs is humourless. 

C'mon, Hinduism has some fun characters in it for starters.

There are some very light-hearted and excellent anecdotes (not the right word, apologies) in the Muslim tradition I have heard.  I listen to the 'thought for the day' on Radio 2 in the UK and it features different religions with different stories and bon mots from each.

Have a good day,

Carrie  :D

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 04:54:48 PM »
Hi Sherri, Lorraine --

I don't have anything to add to this piece, just wanted to sound in as a fellow non-religious person.  I was brought up in the southeastern US (aka Bible Belt) and have lived in the UK for the past 20 years.  Sherri, I think a lot of your feelings may be down to your geography.  If you lived in England, or many parts of Europe (or, I don't know, probably lots of places all around the world -- I've  only ever lived in the US and Europe), you probably wouldn't feel out of place at all.

My sisters are both very religious, and while they are lovely people, I just find that there is this gap.  For them, God (or Jesus) is watching everything they do.  And they have an unspoken but innate fear of anyone who isn't outspokenly Christian.  They cannot conceive how bizarre a concept this is for me to try to understand.  I wouldn't ever tell them, but I tend to think that Richard Dawkins was right when he said that religion is the root of all evil (not exactly, but the divisons it causes between people).

all the best for you
tc xx
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 05:23:52 PM by Saturnine »
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline "lorraineofkeli"

• The World Is Yours!
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 04:57:39 PM »
Hi Saturnine,
I think you have a point about it being to do with geography. Religion isn't even a focal point with anybody I know; it's never mentioned because nobody is concerned.  I've been researching into Richard Dawkins and I have to say he is the most intelligent person I have come across on this subject.  Well worth reading his books.