Author Topic: Are social networks useful?  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Writersblock02

Are social networks useful?
« on: November 27, 2011, 05:35:23 PM »
I've heard from a few people that using social networks like Twitter and Facebook are useful for promoting your work and finding out more about what agents are accepting.

I've started a twitter and have begun networking with other agents, but I'm trying to see if it really serves a purpose?

Twitter: @Writersblock02

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • Joe Mynhardt
Re: Are social networks useful?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 07:17:13 AM »
Very helpful. So far through Facebook I've met and chatted with some of my favorite writers; I met a producer in Hollywood, who I can chat with as an old friend, and a published comic book writer helping me with my first collection; I've also made a lot of people aware that I'm a writer and I've met a lot of folks who enjoy my stories and blog posts; and I can easily keep up to date with current novels coming out or market events, blogs, workshops and anthologies.

Sometimes editors and best seller writers share some information and lessons.

It's a foundation I wouldn't have had otherwise, especially for me down here in SA. Not a lot of convensions and stuff happening down here.
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Lin

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 07:39:05 AM »
I find it very useful and you can follow me if you wish

@itslinhere

Lin x

Offline thatollie

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 07:39:52 AM »
I think it depends on how comfortable you are using it. Some people do get useful contacts and information from these websites, others don't.
Never make a decision standing up.

Lin

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 07:43:43 AM »
With Twitter you are the master of your own followers.  You can choose whom you wish to follow.  I only take in those interested in my style of writing and anything to do with wildlife.  In that way I can control those who endlessly twitter for the sake of it and those who are genuine writers.

In that respect I find Twitter most helpful for the links people provide for me.

Lin x

Offline Writersblock02

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 08:51:09 AM »
I see. Anyone have any particular advice about how one goes about promoting your work and meeting the right people on these sites?

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
I see. Anyone have any particular advice about how one goes about promoting your work and meeting the right people on these sites?

Network with other writers. Join writing groups. Put links to your stories or blogs on your wall or on groups that would like the story.
Most of the people who like my Facebook page are people who read my stories and found a link to me in my biography. So at the very least
every writer should have a website for readers to go to. Not sure about twitter. I'll do that when I have a novel accepted.
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Lin

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 10:05:53 AM »
On Twitter there are usually people whom Twitter recommends.  You can check them out. The best way is to get as many followers as you can.  Send a Tweet - I am a writer looking for followers and keep tweeting it until you get a list of people you like the look of. Then tick FOLLOW. You only have 18 at the moment.
If you follow me then you can choose to take on some of my followers if you like them - Ben Hatch is a good one. Go into my list of followers and tick off those you think might be useful to follow.   I will help you as you go along if you choose to follow me otherwise if you don't you won't see who I have got on my list.

Lin x

« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 10:13:09 AM by Lin Treadgold »

Offline Writersblock02

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 10:24:17 AM »
I certainly appreciate the help. You are all extremely friendly.