Author Topic: Subsidy Publishing?  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Grey Colson

• Author C.A Griffith
Subsidy Publishing?
« on: November 16, 2011, 12:25:04 PM »
Just another word for self publishing? In the words of Jerry Seinfeld, "Not that there's anything wrong with that"  ;D

It is what my agent has suggested. I've read as much as I think I can about it. Since this is my first attempt at being published, I suppose it's not a bad idea.  I don't have all the details from the publisher yet, so I'm still skeptical.  I view it in a similar light as when I was involved in music.  We knew no record company would accept us "unknowns", so we paid for our first recording.  The good part was that sales from the first paid for the second and on and on it went through 5 recordings.

So I'm told that the publisher would require 15% of the cost of editing and publishing. After you sell a certain number of books, that 15% is returned. I tried to search this site for "subsidy publishing" without any luck. Do any of you have any experience with it?

As the Amish would say...I thank thee  ;D

Offline Grey Colson

• Author C.A Griffith
Re: Subsidy Publishing?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 09:24:03 PM »
In this case I would think that no news is good news.  ;D

Offline Vienna

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 05:08:07 AM »
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline Grey Colson

• Author C.A Griffith
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 07:44:35 AM »
There is enough info if you google. For example:

http://www.thebookdesigner.com/2011/05/subsidy-publishing-proceed-with-caution/

Good information. Thanks. I've read many horror stories and a few decent comments about it. It can be a difficult decision.

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 10:44:44 AM »
I've always heard that money should flow towards the author, not the other way round.  ???
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline Grey Colson

• Author C.A Griffith
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 12:33:56 PM »
I've always heard that money should flow towards the author, not the other way round.  ???

I always heard that about the music industry, but found out different. If I had known some "big wig" producer or a member of their family, it may have worked out that way. But in order to get noticed, we financed our first recording. It took a lot of work, but we made a quality product and put it out there. From that point on the sales took care of the following recordings.

Sure, we could have waited and kept our fingers crossed for some executive from Daywind to breeze into a concert and sign us up, but I may as well have waited to win the lottery.  I agree with you, Matt and wish it could always be that way.