Author Topic: What helps you complete your novel faster  (Read 988 times)

Offline Writersblock02

What helps you complete your novel faster
« on: November 26, 2011, 12:23:34 PM »
Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone else actually takes the time to write a synopsis of each chapter of their novel before they actually start writing.

When I first started writing I didn't do this, but I tried it for a new idea that I had, and once I finished the synopsis of each chapter I finished the 21,000 word novella in less than a month.

I'm just curious to see if this method has helped anyone else.

Twitter:@writersblock02

Offline thatollie

Re: What helps you complete your novel faster
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 12:29:08 PM »
Well, sometimes I write a quick note before I start a chapter but I usually don't.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 02:01:55 PM »
I tend to just have a rough synopsis in my head, but acknowledge that for some people a more detailed plan is the way forward.

But I have often done a 'story so far' synopsis half or two thirds of the way through to check that I've hit all the points I needed to hit.

The simple answer to your subject line question is know where it's supposed to be going.  Whether you know every step, or whether the knowledge is on paper or just in your head is up to you.

In your case you seem to have found a method which suits you, so stick with it until it lets you down.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 02:06:10 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 03:13:36 PM »
Write before you do anything else. Especially checking your emails and stuff. It doesn't just keep you busy, it distracts you and
adds to the feeling of having been writing for a long time, while actually doing almost nothing.
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline Chandara5

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 11:26:44 PM »
I'll do a chapter to chapter outline when I'm stuck or when I finish the first draft. It helps keep me on track with what's going on and where I want the story to go.
Elizabeth Arroyo
My debut novel, THE SECOND SIGN, will be released February 7, 2013 by Sapphire Star Publishing
www.elizabetharroyo.com
www.chandarawrites.blogspot.com
https://twitter.com/#!/EArroyo5