Author Topic: Is this a feasible part of plot.  (Read 802 times)

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
    • View Profile
Is this a feasible part of plot.
« on: November 10, 2011, 04:30:42 PM »
My MC pretty much stays out of the living room because of his wife's obsession of keeping all new furniture pristine. He would rather spend his time in the old annexe feeling as if he is expecting a salesman to jump up from behind the couch to sell him his own furniture.

My plot calls for me to have the furniture to either taken away or a letter arriving to state it would be taken away to tidy up a storyline.

My thoughts have been, she had the goods on Sale or return on the promise of selling some of the stores goods for her dodgy housing deals. Now do you think a firm would do this for a period of six months under the impression they will be getting more sales or is it too looney an idea?   :-\

By the way he believes he has bought and paid for these items.

heidi52

Re: Is this a feasible part of plot.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 06:50:01 PM »
Could it be that she is putting them in a consignment shop?

Do you have those in the UK? Here they are shops that sell others' used goods. If they sell they take a cut, if they don't you take the items back.

some of them will come and pick up for a fee (but they usually won't bring them back, funny how that works...)

Just a thought.

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 06:56:35 PM »
In these straitened times I think any store would go for a deal that might bring them more trade in the future. Make this a reality ;D Who's to challenge a particular firm's practise?  :-X

In reality they would probably charge her a rental type fee for the return of goods if she didn't purchase them and if she didn't pay, could be something for the small claims court.
Ambassador for NI. [without portfolio] 
http://www.lulu.com/shop/mwc/as-the-kettle-wolf-whistled/paperback/product-21544909.html

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 06:59:49 PM »
She's a con artist. Her businesses are all a con. She dabbles in all sorts of ventures and especially good with antiques. I just wonder if a firm would take her at face value for her placing their stuff in show homes and overseas properties without taking money in the first place.

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
If she's a con artist . . . no problem whatsoever. She'd have had them eating out of her hands with promised add on deals attached to something else behind the dooberry that would transpire when the really exciting thing came to fruition after asking if they would like to invest inanother cheme she has too.

I know a con man >:( They get caught out further down the line now and again, but despite bankruptcies and presumably destroyed reputations, they bounce back better than ever.
Ambassador for NI. [without portfolio] 
http://www.lulu.com/shop/mwc/as-the-kettle-wolf-whistled/paperback/product-21544909.html

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 07:05:08 PM »
I've seen adverts from furniture stores along the lines of 'Buy now, nothing to pay for six months'.  In the current recession you could probably make it longer than this.

As Sio says, make it a reality.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

heidi52

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 07:08:14 PM »
People pay "stagers" who come in and outfit homes for sale, as they sell better when furnished and decorated.

expensive house need antiques and unique pieces.  They pay big $$$, some of them.

Offline Don

• Murder & mayhem for fun and profit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 11:32:24 PM »
Ma - Heidi is correct. You can take courses in home staging.

http://www.homestagingresource.com/becomestager.asp?gclid=CIDh6MffrawCFcp65Qod9UXoGg

As long as the con has a sufficient draw, somebody's gonna bite.
I have a motto: when in doubt, go for the cheap laugh.

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 04:12:44 AM »
Thanks guys, great info. :-*