Author Topic: Agent Question  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Grey Colson

• Author C.A Griffith
Agent Question
« on: September 28, 2011, 04:07:12 PM »
I hope I started this in the correct forum...

I have been speaking with Anita Melograna who has offered representation. Does anyone have any experience with her?

Thanks  ;D

Offline Matt Walker

Re: Agent Question
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 06:07:50 PM »
Seems to me that she doesn't have much experience selling books to publishers, and is more in the marketing business. Did you submit to her or did she contact you out of the blue? And does she want money?!
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline Grey Colson

• Author C.A Griffith
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 08:56:25 PM »
She was recommended and I submitted to her. She didn't ask for payment.....yet.

But as you mentioned, I couldn't find much of anything about her.

Offline johnnyh2

• Characters I make from clay
    • Johnny Heath's World
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 06:55:11 PM »
Hi there.

I donít think you should be afraid to ask her what you want to know.  As long as youíre professional and polite, sheíll probably be cool about it. 

I typed in her name, then, Cross Wind Agency.  I arrived at a site called, Absolute Write.
Thereís quite a bit written about her there.

I didnít think it polite to cut and paste other peopleís opinions of her and stick them on here for everyone to see. ;)
Perhaps you might check it out and judge for yourself. 

Good luck.

Johnny.

Offline Grey Colson

• Author C.A Griffith
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 02:23:46 PM »
Thanks, Johnny

I found the same information. Nothing really derogatory. I did speak with her again and she answered my questions. I don't think there's any harm in allowing her to read it.  I will certainly post whatever happens here for future reference.

;D

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 04:24:22 PM »
Then best of luck with it, I hope it works out great for you!
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline Grey Colson

• Author C.A Griffith
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 04:43:34 PM »
Then best of luck with it, I hope it works out great for you!

Thanks. Just casting the bread upon the water, so to speak. Nothing to quit my day job over, that's for sure.  :D

Offline Donnettetxgirl

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 08:44:26 PM »
I would check on publishers marketplace to see if she's gotten anything sold to publishers, & if so, what publishers? You have to be careful in dealing with an agent that there isn't much information out there about. If she's been an active agent, chances are pretty good there will be some info about her circulating in cyberspace. I've seen the mention here of Absolute Write. They do have a bewares & background check for just about any agent, or publishing company out there. Given, that some of their members are like sharks circling in the water, they do seem to have the most updated info for who wants to know what about who.

Donnette Smith
www.donnettesmith.com

Offline Grey Colson

• Author C.A Griffith
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 08:56:52 AM »
I would check on publishers marketplace to see if she's gotten anything sold to publishers, & if so, what publishers? You have to be careful in dealing with an agent that there isn't much information out there about. If she's been an active agent, chances are pretty good there will be some info about her circulating in cyberspace. I've seen the mention here of Absolute Write. They do have a bewares & background check for just about any agent, or publishing company out there. Given, that some of their members are like sharks circling in the water, they do seem to have the most updated info for who wants to know what about who.

Donnette Smith
www.donnettesmith.com

Thanks Donnette. I've seen the Absolute Write information and agree there is very little out there. Your advice is very good, given that for every legitimate person, there are dozens who try to take advantage of others. One thing I did do is contact 3 authors who used her services. For what it's worth, they each replied with positive reports. Having almost no information on the internet is like having no credit score. It could be good or it could be bad.  I've decided to give Crosswind a shot. If noting else, I will report the outcome back to the folks here. At least there will be some information on the internet then  ;D

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 09:03:51 AM »
Given, that some of their members are like sharks circling in the water,

Blimey, I thought I was on my own with that opinion.

Just move with caution until proved otherwise Grey. Having contacted other writers was a good move IMO.

Offline Donnettetxgirl

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 09:55:44 AM »
Another thing to consider with new agent's is whether or not they have good enough contacts to get your book placed with a good publisher.

Contacting other authors was a wise move. I always do this before signing a contract.

Good luck with this agent. Hope everything works out. And definitely let us know how it goes.

Donnette Smith
www.donnettesmith.com