Author Topic: Article-writing query  (Read 6530 times)

Offline aelfwin

• Unicorn, the symbol of fantasy
    • The Aelf's Bloggery
Article-writing query
« on: December 16, 2005, 09:08:55 AM »
Hi, This is the second writers circle I've joined recently, the other being Newbie-writer, Dawn Copelands site. I've been working on a novel for about 10 months and have wanted to try my hand at writing articles but I seem to have a massive block when it comes to articles. I enjoy working on the novel but when I sit down to write a short paragraph or two, my mind goes as blank as the screen. Any suggestions.  ???

« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 05:43:56 AM by Nick »

Offline FDHolmes

Article Block Suppression :)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 01:01:06 PM »
With respect to the well known and little comprehended 'blank-page' syndrome, often encountered, never entirely defeated, I humbly offer the following suggestions:

TO WIT:
  • First thing is get your focus off the page and onto what you love or are passionate about, or that which you KNOW well or want to LEARN about.
  • Second thing is begin by making a LIST of stuff. It (the list) will assist you in organizing what you KNOW and highlight what you need to LEARN (obvious by it's absence in the list).
  • Third thing is; it (the list) will get your muscles MOVING, and moving muscles translate into words on the page, which demonstrate ACTION.
  • Finally, or to keep consistency here, Fourth thing is by concentrating on the LIST items ONE by ONE, you'll break the task down into MANAGEABLE and DOABLE steps which you can easily accomplish.
    This methodology will get your mind off the WHOLE which may well be a task too daunting to contemplate.
    Doing one thing at a time ALWAYS gets you focused on the incremental rather than the monumental. It will get the job done.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Re: Article-writing query
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 10:31:39 AM »
Dare I mention it, my Quick Cash Writing course has a lengthy module about article writing in it. For more info and a sample from the course, check out http://www.nickdaws.co.uk/qcw.htm.

One good method for coming up with article ideas is to get hold of one or (preferably) more copies of a magazine you are interested in writing for. Identify all the articles that may have been freelance-written, then spend a bit of time thinking about each one, and see if you can think of any ideas based on it. If there is an article about a retired person who has used this opportunity to start their own craft-based business, for example, think if there is anyone you know who has done something similar. Or you could take a trip to your local arts and crafts centre, and see if you can find any interesting stories among the people working there.

The big advantage of this approach is that you know any such article should be of interest to the magazine in question, as they have already published something similar. The art, I suppose, is to come up with an idea that is different enough from the published article that it won't seem like a carbon copy of it, but similar enough to appeal to the same readership.

Hope this helps a bit anyway  :)

Nick GM
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.