Author Topic: Rejection Central  (Read 13995 times)

Offline Maimi

Re: Rejection Central
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2011, 12:02:48 AM »
Thanks for the advice, Ken.

Oh well, keep on persevering....
... no matter the hurdles. :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:07:57 AM by Maimi »

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2011, 06:38:48 AM »
It's the only way.  They only count the winners after they've crossed the finishing line.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Marniy_Jones

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
My favorite rejection *now* ehm was from Marion Zimmer Bradley Fantasy Magazine.

MZB was notorious for crushing the hopes of writers with her form letter rejection checklists.

I got "Suspension of disbelief doesn't mean hanging it by the neck until dead." 

Others got, "Give up writing; you have no hope." So, I guess I wasn't that terrible.

Wow, that hurt.  I was a teenager.  I haven't submitted anything in a long time, but I'd like to think I have a much thicker skin now, because I'm so much older and have maturity and perspective and uh stuff.   ::)

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2011, 05:06:59 PM »

;-)

I once told a writing student "I know I told you the two most useful items of punctuation are an initial capital and a final full stop, but I didn't expect to find them at the opposite ends of an otherwise unpunctuated 400 word piece."

I challenged her to read it aloud to the class, expecting her to wheeze to a halt around fifty words but she managed it.  I'll swear that woman knew how to breathe through either her arse or her ears.

She got her revenge by offering me a lift home after class a couple of weeks later.  She drove as she wrote and spoke ;-)

Gyppo 
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Ken100

• The Devil and Edward Teach - Out now.
    • Ken Preston
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2011, 05:17:19 PM »
... no matter the hurdles. :)

They only count the winners after they've crossed the finishing line.

:) :) :) :) :)
Let me format your book for Kindle. 20% Discount for MWC Members.
http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php/topic,44874.new.html#new

Follow me on Twitter; @kenpreston100<br /><br />
http://www.kenpreston.co.uk

Offline Laura H

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2011, 11:08:35 PM »
My favorite rejection *now* ehm was from Marion Zimmer Bradley Fantasy Magazine.

MZB was notorious for crushing the hopes of writers with her form letter rejection checklists.

Others got, "Give up writing; you have no hope." So, I guess I wasn't that terrible.

Wow, that hurt.  I was a teenager.  I haven't submitted anything in a long time, but I'd like to think I have a much thicker skin now, because I'm so much older and have maturity and perspective and uh stuff.   ::)

Holy Freeholies!  That would have done me in!
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Wolfe

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2011, 08:42:52 AM »
Let me tell you the truth about people who send these kinds of scathing rejections: they're failed writers.

They do that to feel better about themselves. They're lashing out in the way they feel certain agents and editors did to them. Ironically, and more often than I like, these people end up being gatekeepers to the publishing world.

So, if you wonder why certain works got rejected, wonder no more.

Of course, I must admit, I desperately wanted to send similar comments to projects that wasted my time. The difference between a professional and a pathetic is your ability to know that today's hack may be tomorrow's bestseller. It's not anyone's place to destroy someone else's dream. You never want to be the one who history will quote calling the next Hemmingway or King a hack who will never sell copy.

A critic will never live that down.

That's why agents and editors use the generic rejection letter. If you have nothing nice to say, you seriously need to shut the hell up. But, in publishing, this tact often disappears in the haze of a deadline.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 08:45:00 AM by Wolfe »

Offline A.W.M

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2011, 09:09:33 AM »
Good to see you had a chance to stop by MWC again, Wolfe.  Always enjoy your input and take special notice when I see you have posted.  Keep the visits coming.  Happy Holidays. 
Most people live and die
with their music still unplayed.
They never dare to try.

~ Mary Kay Ash

Offline Chandara5

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2011, 05:35:44 PM »
My first rejection was at sixteen. It was a sticky with something like...dialogue needs work, written on it.  If I knew that was a good thing i wouldn't have felt crushed. Live and learn.

I think I handle rejection well. The first is the query and that sucker is hard to write. But when they ask for pages and then the full and then you gotta wait... Let me know before I burst.  :o 

I have a full out with an agent now and I'm stalking my email.  :)   

Keeping fingers and toes crossed.
Elizabeth Arroyo
My debut novel, THE SECOND SIGN, will be released February 7, 2013 by Sapphire Star Publishing
www.elizabetharroyo.com
www.chandarawrites.blogspot.com
https://twitter.com/#!/EArroyo5

Offline CarrieSheppard

• All it took was a visit to AZ...
    • My blog pages
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2011, 12:10:15 PM »
Rejection central?! I'm getting divorced, does that count?  ;D

I have to confess to have only had one rejection - and only one submission. I guess I really ought to put it about a bit more (after all, my husband did...)  ::)

Happy Sunday all!

Carrie

Offline Laura H

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2011, 08:46:42 AM »
Whoa - that's a rough one, Carrie.  Sounds like fodder for writing though  ;)

Go start submitting!  You've gotta be in it to win it.  That's why I buy powerball tickets  ;D
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Maimi

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2011, 08:58:15 AM »
My first rejection was at sixteen. It was a sticky with something like...dialogue needs work, written on it.  If I knew that was a good thing i wouldn't have felt crushed. Live and learn.

Good for you for sticking with it. :)

Congratulations on having an agent consider your full, too. Hopefully good news will arrive soon. Just don't give yourself carpal tunnel syndrome by hitting the refresh button too many times on your email page. :D

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2011, 11:46:48 AM »

Keeping fingers and toes crossed.

Me too and me too and me too! Hoping for a great Christmas Prezzie!  :D
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline Chandara5

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2011, 11:51:33 AM »
 :D ;D

Elizabeth Arroyo
My debut novel, THE SECOND SIGN, will be released February 7, 2013 by Sapphire Star Publishing
www.elizabetharroyo.com
www.chandarawrites.blogspot.com
https://twitter.com/#!/EArroyo5

Offline Sean Patrick Fox

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2011, 01:39:20 PM »
I'm eagerly anticipating my first rejection letter  ;D