Author Topic: Rejection Central  (Read 11659 times)

Offline Laura H

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Rejection Central
« on: November 04, 2011, 03:19:30 PM »
Lot's of talk of rejections today since the Machine of Death emails went out.
How do you deal with rejections?  Have you had any really snarky or particularly thoughtful ones? 
I'm finding that I can take rejections as long as I have other submissions out at all times keeping hope alive  ;D

Found this -

http://www.writersservices.com/mag/m_rejection.htm

:) :) :)
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

thatollie

Re: Rejection Central
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 03:25:36 PM »
Well, now that I've written another little story I can allow myself to participate. This the first time I've ever had to deal with rejection and I think I might have fallen apart if I didn't have my current project to keep me going. I'm childish and I hate to lose. Thanks for starting this thread.

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 03:30:48 PM »
Not yet brave enough to face regular rejections, so when I have had a novel rejected, I review it again and see if there are any improvements I can make before I resubmit . Short stories I don't worry as much about, I just try and write something new, different -- and better ;D

It's the waiting is the hard part for me. Once I know whether it's yea or nay I can cope with things much better.
Ambassador for NI. [without portfolio] 
http://www.lulu.com/shop/mwc/as-the-kettle-wolf-whistled/paperback/product-21544909.html

Offline Laura H

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 04:14:43 PM »
The MOD email was well done, but the BEST rejection I received was for the Memory Eater anthology.  I made the 2nd round for consideration, but ultimately got cut.  The editor-also a writer - sent me a personal email detailing EXACTLY why he rejected my story.

After pouting for a few weeks I went back with fresh eyes and took his crit to heart.  I've since reworked the piece and I now have a much stronger story that I've submitted elsewhere. 

It's nice when a "no" comes with advice  :)
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
Lucky old you . . . my memory eater rejection was just: sorry, not this time, basically.
Ambassador for NI. [without portfolio] 
http://www.lulu.com/shop/mwc/as-the-kettle-wolf-whistled/paperback/product-21544909.html

Offline Chrissie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 04:22:24 PM »
 ;D
I like this thread. How do I cope? At first I feel devastated as if it's my child that's been rejected which in  a way it is. I never tell anyone in my family or my friends, at first. And then I realise that the story still has merit, or else why would have thought it good enough to submit in the first place, and do some reworking - and try somewhere else. To date, nothing I've sent elsewhere has succeeded, but there's a first time for everything!

Offline Maimi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 04:30:41 PM »
I think the worst rejection is no word at all. I'll take "No thanks" or "If you don't hear from us in X weeks we're not interested" over no response any day.

How to cope? Success. That's why you only take a moment to drink a comforting cup of hot cocoa before sitting back down at the keyboard. 8)

Offline Chrissie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 05:09:29 PM »
I think the worst rejection is no word at all. I'll take "No thanks" or "If you don't hear from us in X weeks we're not interested" over no response any day.

How to cope? Success. That's why you only take a moment to drink a comforting cup of hot cocoa before sitting back down at the keyboard. 8)
Or a comforting glass of white wine - works wonders for me! Hic  ;D

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 05:14:11 PM »
I'll second Maimi's viewpoint.  To me there is nothing worse than black hole syndrome, where you just keep sending stuff into a black hole and never hear anything at all.  Rejections can be dealt with in a variety of ways.  You can cuss, scream, sulk, go out and break something, (chopping firewood or hurling large heavy knives into a board can be really therapeutic), or whatever works for you.  

But fifteen minutes is plenty.  Any more is self indulgent.

After that look at the work, re-work if necessary, and then send it back out.

But the black hole offers the illusion of hope, that someone somewhere may still be looking at at.

Best of British magazine have an 'organised black hole'.  If something instantly appeals, or if they have a suitable slot, you hear from them in a couple of weeks, maybe much less.  But they also tell you that all submissions are dated on arrival and kept for up to eighteen months.  So if you missed the cut or the deadline for any seasonal article there's a second chance still lurking in the wings.

After 18 months they will destroy the article unless you've sent a prepaid return envelope.

So at least you know where you stand.

But having plenty of stuff 'out there' is the best way of keeping hopeful.

Never, never, never send one thing out and wait until you get an answer before sending another one.  Life's too short for that kind of waiting game, even if you're only in your early twenties.  When you're in your sixties you can feel the clock running down on your opportunities.

Keep submitting.

Gyppo

My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Maimi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 06:18:22 PM »
Never, never, never send one thing out and wait until you get an answer before sending another one.
That'd be like stopping your search for work after applying for one job, until you heard from them. Not good or profitable.

Offline Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 08:44:01 PM »
I lost track of the number of students I had, whilst an active tutor, who said things like "I've sent something out to test the waters.  To see if it's worth carrying on." [1]

They often couldn't understand, or accept, that a piece which was rejected by one magazine could be eagerly snatched up by another.  Sometimes magazines which appeared identical at a superficial reading.

They seem to think there is some universal fixed standard of acceptance.  Just as many believe there is some magical success formula, which, once learned, means every damn thing you send out gets accepted.

[1]  We, as writers make that decision.  Not the publishers.  They decide what they want.  The two things aren't always in alignment ;-)

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Matt Walker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 04:25:11 AM »
When I was sixteen and got rejections for my first novel, they really ate at me. My heart would pound, I felt light headed and sick, and then ultimately crushed. Most rejections now don't phase me at all (I've had well over 100) for different things. Hey, they're still disappointing, but I'm used to them!

It's also worth noting that publishers have come back to me and said they "loved" my story and accepted it, despite it being rejected half a dozen times previously. Stating the obvious, but getting rejected doesn't mean your story is crap!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 04:28:10 AM by Matt Walker »
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline Laura H

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 09:19:20 AM »
Great points!  And Matt, I was certainly not equipped to deal with rejection of my writing at such a young age.  I just wasn't that kind of 16 year old.  Good for you for putting yourself out there so early.

Offline Laura H

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 04:40:24 PM »
Just got word that I was cut from another "short list".  Ah well, I still have 3 out there and I'm going to make a point to put send some more this coming week.

Offline Gyppo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 06:03:23 PM »
Getting onto short lists means you're doing something right, but maybe not in the right places.  Quite possibly it came down to editorial whim preference at that point, rather than your own ability Look for similar markets and re-sub.

Gyppo