Author Topic: possible for a Princess to not be Queen?  (Read 1224 times)

Offline mfarraday

possible for a Princess to not be Queen?
« on: February 15, 2012, 12:41:28 PM »
ok so i am aware that Prince Rainier of Monaco never became a King. he was always a Prince. despite the fact that there was no other Monarch around, he never became King. i am not quite sure WHY, exactly. but anyway, i want to use his example.

in my story, Princess Madeleine escaped into the non-fantasy world - the regular, modern, non-fantasy place. (ugh why can't i describe it....)

she escaped because her parents learned that there was a prophecy, that she would do something to the monarchy to reduce the power of the throne, and that a wizard would try to murder her in childhood because of it. she can't get married, ever, because if she does the throne will pass on to a relative...

um so i want her parents to be dead. they died rescuing their child, trying to take her out of the Kingdom.

but didn't that automatically make her Queen?

i don't want her to be Queen. :(

help me make this make sense. can it make sense for her to be around all this time, a Princess on the run, but not the Queen?

thanks for any input!

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
Re: possible for a Princess to not be Queen?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 01:08:54 PM »
Here's something to compare that might help. Look at the way Tolkien handled it in 'Lord of the Rings' with the character, Strider/ Aragorn.

EDIT: While the rightful heir to the throne was missing, a Lord and Steward was placed there until . . .
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:15:27 PM by Skip Slocum »

Offline mfarraday

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 01:13:11 PM »
ok thanks for the tip!

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 02:54:42 PM »
Monaco is a Principality.  So the ruler will never be a king, only a prince or perhaps a princess.

It's similar to a Duchy, where the ruler can only ever be a duke or a duchess.

Lines of succession in royal families can be complicated.  Here in the UK we wouldn't have had a queen had there been a suitable male heir.  Princess Anne could still theoretically become queen if enough of the male candidates died.  But seeing as Charles has two sons this is unlikely to arise.  The birth of his two sons let Andrew and Edward off the hook.

So, back to your story.

It's perfectly plausible that the princess could never inherit the throne in her own right, unless she became queen to a reigning king.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline mfarraday

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 03:02:44 PM »
ok thanks. food for thought. i really need to research this stuff!!!! hmm.........where to start where to start......

Offline C.M.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 08:43:14 PM »
Now the next question is 'Why is a principality not a kingdom?' I suspect that every monarch would like to claim the highest possible title. In the 1800s it became common for kings to start calling themselves emperors. Victoria was the empress of India, the king of Prussia became the German emperor, there were emperors of Austria-Hungry and Ottoman Turkey. I think the czars of Russia called themselves emperors, too. It probably comes down to whatever the ruler can get away with. You could call yourself the all highest king of the universe if you wanted to, but other people would only laugh at you. Monaco is so small that Prince Rainier can not get away with calling himself a king, nor could he call Monaco a kingdom. There might also be a treaty relationship between Monaco and France. Maybe back when France had a king, the prince of Monaco acknowledged the French king as his lord and protector or some other feudal relationship. I'm just guessing on that one, but I suspect it goes back to how these various monarchies fit themselves into the greater world scheme. Other countries only recognize Monaco as a principality so Rainier is a prince, not a king.    C.M.

Offline mfarraday

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 08:53:22 PM »
thanks C.M..... you alwayd give me tons of good info! :D