Author Topic: Local Pictures. Anyone care to join in?  (Read 11093 times)

Offline midnight candle

• just checking in
Re: Local Pictures. Anyone care to join in?
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2011, 07:15:22 PM »
And here is a beautiful looking window on the East side of the cathedral where people can sit, chill and meditate - a beatiful spot when you need time away from everything.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2011, 07:19:03 PM »
Oh, so it's cathedral picture people want. They've enjoyed Lincoln and Gloucester, now it's Norwich's turn.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2011, 04:12:49 AM »
On the good side, there is Gloucester Cathedral which is absolutely stunning and almost a 1000 years old. It makes me wonder why builders are so crap these days  ::)

I can think of a few possibilities.

Hand built.  A job for life on a big contract.  Guilds which cared more about doing the job properly than the power games of their 'union'.  A proper apprenticeship scheme and at at least seven years to become a master craftsman, and then only if you were really good enough, with no 'quotas' to be met.  A pride in their work, rather than just seeing it as a job.  Little things like that add up.

And of course, when cathedrals are built they're supposed to last for 'eternity'.  There was no 'built in obsolescence'.

A few years back I spoke to a young mason and a young carpenter during an open day at Winchester Cathedral, and the old principles still apply.  "We can't mess around, but we still use hand tools as often as not, and we have to do things right.  You can't cut corners when you're building or repairing something that people will still be using a few hundred years later."

I've also seen around the cathedral workshop at Salisbury.  It's a peaceful place with none of the frenetic hurry and worry of a modern factory.  It makes a difference when a man is working for enduring quality father than to a 'penalty clause' deadline.

In contrast I have the contractors working in the new bungalows nearby.  These aren't bad buildings, but they have a projected working life of about 50 years.  (This may extend.  Our house was built with a twenty year life in mind, to meet a mid 60s housing crisis, and is still there fifty years later.)  The workmanship is competent rather than excellent.  That's all it needs to be for fifty years.

Apparently it makes 'economic sense' these days to have 'first fix and second fix teams'.  One lot get the buildings up as fast as possible, the second lot fix the problems left by the first lot.  I still think it would be better to do it right the first time.

Cathedrals were the pursuit of excellence, built to the greater glory of God.  (Whether the workers were believers or no, that was the standard to which they adhered.)

"And here endeth the lesson.  We will all now raise our voices in joyful chorus, singing number 402 from the Cynics Hymnal, 'Little Boxes'."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_2lGkEU4Xs

I'll find you some pretty pictures later.

Gyppo   
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2011, 07:55:06 AM »
 ;D

Offline Ken100

• The Devil and Edward Teach - Out now.
    • Ken Preston
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2011, 01:37:19 PM »
Ken you live in a delightful looking street and the history, woo hoo. Thanks for relaying that to us mate.  :D

Thanks Fire Fly. Yes, Stourbridge is in a terrible kind of living death, slow decay at the moment and there are lots of things wrong with the town. But if you look beyond all that, (the ghastly ring road, the empty shops, the terrible sixties built multi story carparks, etc) it still has a sense of history poking out from the terrible bits, and it's near an extensive canal network and the countryside.
So yes, at times it is delightful.

I love this forum thread. Thanks Gyppo for starting it, and everyone who has contributed pictures and local history information. Fascinating.

Cheers,
Ken :)
Let me format your book for Kindle. 20% Discount for MWC Members.
http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php/topic,44874.new.html#new

Follow me on Twitter; @kenpreston100<br /><br />
http://www.kenpreston.co.uk

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2011, 03:08:29 PM »
Blue Moon all your history as well, put those animals aside and the beautiful cathedrals etc.

Ken we have no history like that, no where in Oz at all. A few nice old buildings here and there but mostly its all gone.

Nothing with the age of your lot though.

I would love to go over your way once, to see just how green countryside can get.  ;)
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline Ken100

• The Devil and Edward Teach - Out now.
    • Ken Preston
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2011, 03:48:04 PM »
Blue Moon all your history as well, put those animals aside and the beautiful cathedrals etc.

Ken we have no history like that, no where in Oz at all. A few nice old buildings here and there but mostly its all gone.

Nothing with the age of your lot though.

I would love to go over your way once, to see just how green countryside can get.  ;)

And I would love to go to Australia one day, too. I appreciate what your saying about most things being gone, but still...I think the history is there if you look for it, even if it's mostly written down now, or kept alive in spoken stories.
I have another photograph I need to take soon, and post here. It's a little section of a wall, but I love what has happened to that section of wall over the years, and the history that is held in it.
I'll try and post that at the weekend.

Blue moon, I love your cathedral window picture. That looks like a stunning window.

Cheers,
Ken :)
Let me format your book for Kindle. 20% Discount for MWC Members.
http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php/topic,44874.new.html#new

Follow me on Twitter; @kenpreston100<br /><br />
http://www.kenpreston.co.uk

Offline Mastafrank

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2011, 07:52:20 PM »
I'll be uploading lots of pictures

Figures,  As soon as I opened my camera app (on my smartfone) my fone died  :(
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:31:29 PM by Anonymous lurker »

Offline ma100

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I don't need kinky boots, nothing will beat me.
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2011, 08:37:14 PM »
Ooo err, we haven't posh things like Cathedrals. We haven't even got a shop or a bus service. We have a pub and a church does that count?

My house is behind the trees on the right.

and 500 yards from the pub. ::) ;D

Offline Mastafrank

« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2011, 09:03:27 PM »
This was taken back in August.  I took my half brother out for some ice cream (bubble gum flavored)

Offline Mastafrank

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2011, 09:04:06 PM »
Tomb of the unknown Soldier....

Offline Mastafrank

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2011, 09:04:43 PM »
 Panoramic shot of Parliament hill (Ottawa Ontario)

Offline Mastafrank

« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2011, 09:08:42 PM »
Marina In Quebec(15 minute from downtown Ottawa)

Offline Mastafrank

« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2011, 10:46:02 PM »
Local mall

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2011, 10:55:44 PM »
All very nice mate, you get snow there don't you?
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D