Author Topic: Local Pictures. Anyone care to join in?  (Read 11604 times)

Offline Andrewf

• SciFi and Fantasy are my genre of choice.
Re: Local Pictures. Anyone care to join in?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 05:32:53 AM »
This is the city near where I live...   Lincoln, England ;D

It has a nice cathedral, that is very nearly 1000 years old  (was finished in 1092)

And a castle

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." - L. Long.

Tales from the Circle - A charitable read. http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1146002
Ask about eBook versions if required.

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 06:34:04 AM »
Beautifully amazing.

Silt

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 06:55:30 AM »
I have one made of lego not quite as high though, Andrewf.

I love the architect, a mixture of stone masons.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 07:04:50 AM »
Andrew, we just don't have stuff like that in America. Beautiful.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline fire-fly

• Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 07:13:44 AM »
Nor in Oz, thats truly amazing.  :)
I'm A Binge Thinker: Do It A Lot Somedays, Then Not Much At All.

Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it alive. >:D

Offline Laura H

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 10:32:54 AM »
Memphis doesn't have anything to compare with Andrew's cathedral, but we do have a pyramid  ???
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 11:41:48 AM »
Charleston, SC was once the busiest port in the South. In fact, Charleston was once one of the top five largest cities in the country. At the time of the Revolutionary War, nine of the ten riches people in the country lived here. The import/export business was huge.

This is a picture of the customs house located in the harbor region. The classic Roman construction done with Corinthian tops to the columns is pretty well preserved. The building itself takes up most of the block it sits on. I’ve never been inside, so I can’t tell you what it is like there. This picture was taken on September 11 of this year when we went downtown to stroll around on a beautiful day made even better by the memories of worse times ten years ago.

One block behind it and to the north is the Market, blocks long and undercover it is still full of stalls where one can set out one’s wares and the public can walk through and shoplift of perhaps even purchase what is available.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline Vienna

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 11:45:27 AM »
@Andrew- Great stuff, not been to Lincoln for donkey's years.
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 12:12:43 PM »
I would absolutely love to visit that church and castle. Amazing.
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline Andrewf

• SciFi and Fantasy are my genre of choice.
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »
It is... and the inside is just as impressive ;D

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion." - L. Long.

Tales from the Circle - A charitable read. http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=1146002
Ask about eBook versions if required.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 05:31:59 PM »
That's Lincoln added to my list of places to visit before I die.

It's a very long list, I may have to live forever ;-)

is this one of your own photos, Andrew?  I noticed a strange effect on this picture.  In the foreground you have the almost inevitable converging parallels of the upright pillars, but as you go further into the picture the curve of the arches along the sides seems to bend them back outwards which, paradoxically, opens the picture out again at the same time as distance is closing it in.

Took me a while to figure out what was happening.  Fascinating.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:42:08 PM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Laura H

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 08:15:52 PM »
That's Lincoln added to my list of places to visit before I die.

. . . and the Memphis pyramid, right  :-[
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 04:40:39 AM »
Let's give this a try.

I love living in a post-industrial city. This is the Ruhr area in western Germany, heavily bombed in WW2. After the industry died out in the 70s, nature took over again. Instead of pulling all the old industrial facilities down, a lot of them are converted into parks that feel like lost cities.
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2011, 05:58:47 AM »
I like that, Annmarie.  Lost cities ;-)

In the city not far from us we have a few small 'bombsites' which have been turned into micro-parks.  One of these has the two remaining walls of a house which is all that remains of a whole terrace.  There is a lot of ivy covering them now. There's still traces of an old oven built into the side of the fireplace, unless it's been completely swallowed by the ivy and bushes since I last saw it. I must try and get a picture next time I head that way.

It's overshadowed by ugly great concrete flats and the back end of a shopping complex now, and I suspect most people don't even know it's there anymore.  Tucked in tight against the railway lines and the tunnel which were the target of the bombers.

I took my daughter there once, whilst showing her some of the lesser known aspects of the city, and she went quiet for a while.  I remember it from the fifties, when I was a kid, and there were still traces of wallpaper and raggedy scraps of curtain to be seen on the 'inside out houses'.  The loose and dangerous bits of wall were 'tidied away' but the more solid bits were just left.

There's a few other traces tucked away in almost forgotten corners which are too small to attract developers, and sometimes, just sometimes, it still feels like an invasion of privacy to take photographs.

At night these forgotten corners still offer shelter to the homeless.   In the daytime people from the nearby office blocks use the benches as a quiet place to eat lunch, sometimes accompanied by birds singing in a little oasis of quiet amongst the city noises.  It's like a time machine.

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline thatollie

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2011, 11:27:46 AM »
The Forum in Norwich is an incredible place housing the busiest public library in Britain, the largest permanent (free) digital gallery in Europe and the headquarters of BBC East. By my calculations, when open, a new visitor walks in every nine seconds.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 11:45:22 AM by thatollie »
Never make a decision standing up.