Author Topic: Sales tactics...  (Read 2796 times)

Offline bri h

Re: Sales tactics...
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 12:11:15 PM »
Hmm? Everyone's had Door-to-Door Salesmen at their doors. But has anyone ever had Door-to-Door "Door" salesmen at their doors, trying to sell them . . .  doors? Hmm?  :)
Fare thee well Skip. We're all 'Keening' now. xbx

Offline 2par

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 12:28:22 PM »
Brian, maybe you prefer to think Amie 'challenged' you or coerced you or encouraged you to write your cute story.?haha

Okay, don't you all get me started on salespeople!!!

Offline bri h

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 12:30:35 PM »
 ??? ;D

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 09:07:11 PM »
Hmm? Everyone's had Door-to-Door Salesmen at their doors. But has anyone ever had Door-to-Door "Door" salesmen at their doors, trying to sell them . . .  doors? Hmm?  :)

My eldest lass recently had a door to door salesman trying to sell her a new door.

Salesman:  "This is our top of the range door.  Very secure.  We sell a lot of these to drug dealers because it's capable of defeating, or at least seriously delaying, the hydraulic door rammer the police use during raids."

Daughter:  "Can you do it with a catflap?"

Salesman:  We don't usually get asked that."

At this point in her tale I cracked up, picturing a 'sniffer dog' diving in through the flap at high speed and plastering its handler against the door.  A bit like the Hale and Pace Guide Cats sketch if you've ever seen that.

Or a cat in uniform attacking the flap with a mini-rammer just as some burly great copper attacks the main door.  If only I could draw what I see in my mind.)

Daughter:  "I'm not sure I want quite that level of security.  I'd prefer to think that if I was lying on the floor bleeding to death the ambulance or fire crew could get in."

Son-in-law: (Who works for Fire & Rescue)  "We can get them open if need be.  We have a lovely selection of 'hooligan tools'.  It's not as fast as using the rammer on an ordinary door, but we're still only talking about seconds.  Long enough for a smart dealer to flush his wares down the toilet, but plenty fast enough to save lives."

The deal was lost when they found it would cost nearly three hundred pound more to have a cat flap fitted into the door.

Gyppo
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 05:21:40 AM by Gyppo »
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline 2par

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 09:18:18 PM »
One time, a door to doorer told me I was a bad mother because I couldn't afford to buy his full set of encyclopedias.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 02:01:19 AM »
I was interviewed for a door to door job last year, they taught me the thing that Amie mentioned in the OP. I told the guy that I didn't want to join the company and then left.

Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 07:38:48 AM »
My eldest lass recently had a door to door salesman trying to sell her a new door.

Salesman:  "This is our top of the range door.  Very secure.  We sell a lot of these to drug dealers because it's capable of defeating, or at least seriously delaying, the hydraulic door rammer the police use during raids."

Daughter:  "Can you do it with a catflap?"

That would make a great poem :)

But then I'm thinking, what a weird sales pitch!!

I love your daughter's response, but I think I would have been a bit more prosaic:

Me: How do you know they are drug dealers?

Salesman (narrowing eyes knowingly): Trust me, you can spot these people a mile off

Me: but, how do you actually know? What do you spot? Bags of white powder on the counters? Order forms for more heroin?

Salesman: these people are known throughout the community

Me: really? So many of them? And they all manage to fit ram-proof doors before the police make a bust?

Salesman: look, do you want a new door or don't you?

Me: Can you do it with a cat flap?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 07:47:10 AM by Amie »
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 08:24:30 AM »
I was interviewed for a door to door job last year, they taught me the thing that Amie mentioned in the OP. I told the guy that I didn't want to join the company and then left.

The irony is that there are probably lots of people who would prefer to buy something from someone like you! :)
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline thatollie

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 08:26:01 AM »
Yeah, but I don't want to go to people's houses and try to sell to them there. It's not honourable.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Vienna

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 08:31:17 AM »
Last time a door-to-door salesperson knocked at our place it was an open and shut case.........
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline bri h

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 02:49:27 PM »
Oh Rich! Rich! Richie! That joke was terrible. heh heh B