Author Topic: Re: Work -- A Story in Fiction  (Read 656 times)

Offline hedinsen

• View Profile
Re: Work -- A Story in Fiction
« on: October 19, 2011, 08:23:12 PM »
`Evening All,

I know most people's reaction will be:  You're joking to You're kidding; or "Whatcha' puttin`in your drink?"

I was talking with my assistant and she's aware of MWC and some of the stuff I've put on here for review.  The story I am proposing will take place in a fictional version of where I work and the denizens there.  I hope to make this light hearted humor; some of their problems make mine during the day look good.  I've been there over seven years now and know the managing VP down to the lowest keypunch person around there. 

The story line is the place itself which I am calling: Luthron Avionics and Spaceware.  The plot and climax I am still sorting out.  But what I have in mind the TV show "The Office" will make this look good.  (LOL).

My next thought; A story such as this, should I use the first person role or third person?  Which of the two is most viable? 

All thoughts on this idea will be appreciated.
                                      # # #

Offline Gyppo

• I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 09:19:42 PM »
Third person gives you more scope.  First person can be more immediate.  It also depends on you being a confident narrator.

In first person you can only use what you see or hear for yourself, and I imagine that in a project like this you'll often find yourself slipping into 'storyteller mode', recounting something someone else has told you to another character.  This creates a kind of semi third person mode, and can get rather longwinded, so you may as well embrace third person fully and see how it goes.

But it's up to you to make it work, however you tackle it.

Best wishes,

Gyppo   
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 09:26:48 PM »
Third person . . . easier.
Ambassador for NI. [without portfolio] 
http://www.lulu.com/shop/mwc/as-the-kettle-wolf-whistled/paperback/product-21544909.html

Max_with_word_processor

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 09:34:02 PM »
First person if you want your MC to psychoBlockedyze your characters.

Offline hedinsen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 10:50:24 PM »
`Evening, all,

Thank you for your replies to my question.  I think I'll give third person a shot, especially since this is a fiction story based on actual events.  The plot will revolve around computer hacking by an insider.  A couple threads will be in motion throughout the story which comes together near the end.  This will definitely take me some time to work on it.  Thanks again.  # # #