Author Topic: I've been thinking about Sounds  (Read 1940 times)

Silt

Re: I've been thinking about Sounds
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 12:07:35 PM »
I remember doing an exercise where some one place an object before me and I, blindfolded, must describe it in words, but feel, scent, taste and such.

Basically this is all about the other senses which often get left behind when writing.

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 12:14:43 PM »
That's one of the reason I write poetry -- it makes you focus on the senses to convey a total experience. The poem istelf may not make it, but the thoughts behind it are often very good for prose writing. :)
Ambassador for NI. [without portfolio] 
http://www.lulu.com/shop/mwc/as-the-kettle-wolf-whistled/paperback/product-21544909.html

Silt

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 03:54:41 PM »
Poetry, while it has many good techniques, also has ones which do not belong in prose, and so a writer has to be aware of what to use and what not to from poetry.

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 05:41:03 PM »
Agreed -- no direct transfer from one to the other, more of an exercise in distillation of meaning with strong images.
Ambassador for NI. [without portfolio] 
http://www.lulu.com/shop/mwc/as-the-kettle-wolf-whistled/paperback/product-21544909.html

Silt

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 05:42:54 PM »
I do love poetry, but try not to write it or incorporate the style into my prose. It has taken me some time to remove what I did.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • View Profile
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 10:12:34 PM »
I would be distracted by seeing sounds in writing.

It would be lovely if all the senses were included, but when I'm reading, I'm looking and unless you perfectly incorporate them, the descriptive process is probably better.

As Bonita mentions, "Bang!" could be lots of things from a gun to a dropped pot of boiling water to ... whatever makes a loud noise. The bang of a gun in a movie is a high point, but it isn't really a Bang!, it is the sound of a gun going off which really is this loud concussive explosion and not really the sound of Bang!

He thumped down the stairs.
okay
but the strong footfalls don't really sound like thump, thump, thump. They may sound like clop or stomp or some such other noise.

We use words to represent idea. Using words to represent a sound is simply never going to be the same as the sound itself. That's why they have sound tracks in movies.  ;D

Perhaps I would have a different opinion if you gave an example of how you want to convey a specific sound while writing about it.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Silt

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 07:08:31 AM »
The problem with examples is that one sentence does not make a scene. The idea of putting sounds/senses in a story is to broaden the experience for the reader. It, of course, has to be done with precision in order to work, and as one mentioned, the frequency must balance (but then again, every word in your story must balance with the rest or it shouldn't be used at all)

Offline HPvD

• View Profile
    • HP's Happy Writing Blogspot.com
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 08:01:19 AM »
Btw. interesting observation that besides the actual (imitation) of the sound and a description of a sound it indeed also
is a possibility to use words that only represent a sound. Like for example a gunshot represented by a 'Bang!' while the
actual sound might be more something like 'Kgpoessssh' or 'Phieeeeeeuw' something like that.
To your Happy<i> - Writing -</i> Inspiration, http://hpshappywriting2.blogspot.com

Silt

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 01:24:21 PM »
Yes. The sound though, phonetically written would have to be one recognised by all. That is hard to do. Animal noises perhaps, sharp reports. I think it would be a bit like local dialect - too much overwhelms - too little confuses.

Offline HPvD

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 07:09:58 AM »
I just run in an other discussion here on the forum that also made me realise that - talking about sound - it might also
be interesting to possibly put some of my Short Stories into Sound. Since I have done a scriptwriting course some years ago I was thinking of possibly
write out some of my Short Stories with directors directions and than (possibly with sound effects and voice over etc. etc.) record them
and put them on my blog as MP3 downloads.

At my blog you can discover that I have a special page with - Short Stories in development - only I wonder if one of them could be suitable enough
to make into something that would make an interesting MP3 download, or else I need to write a special Short Story for it that 'Sounds Good'
How do you think that Sounds? :)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 07:16:11 AM by HPvD »
To your Happy<i> - Writing -</i> Inspiration, http://hpshappywriting2.blogspot.com

Silt

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 07:16:30 AM »
I love radio stories. Used to listen to Sherlock Holmes on the radio late at night. They used actual sounds of footsteps and doors closing.

The thing about sounds is they can show/express so much in so little, but still need to fit in the context of the story, moving it forward, used for a reason.

It would be harder to write sounds in, but I think, if mastered, they can increase the enjoyment for the reader, which is one more hook.

Offline HPvD

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 07:35:40 AM »
With script writing I am already somewhat familiar with putting sounds into a story, and also the whole Script Format 
with being able to add directors directions can make it possible to create incredible compelling (MP3) Recordings.

On my - Writer's Lifestyle - Blog I have a special page with 'Short Stories in Developement' and possibly
I added the word 'In Developement' because possibly subconsciously I haven't seen them as 'Finished Products' yet from the start.

Only I am not sure if I already have something that's already 'Developed' enough to be able 'to put into Sound'.
So hopefully there will come a little more readers feedback soon on them so that I can get a better feel
about how people like them or what needs to improve.