3 (23.1%)
Independent
1 (7.7%)
Tabloid/Other
4 (30.8%)
Don't read any
5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: POLL: Which newspaper do you read?  (Read 2228 times)

Offline "lorraineofkeli"

• The World Is Yours!
POLL: Which newspaper do you read?
« on: August 16, 2006, 04:45:47 PM »
I was curious as to members' reading habits when it comes to your choice of newspaper.
There are only 5 options available so I couldn't list a big range.

For those outside of the UK, perhaps you can choose the one that most closely resembles your own national paper.

Telegraph - strongly conservative, right-wing
Times - Conservative, right-wing (considered to be 'THE paper of the establishment')
Guardian - Left-of-centre - paper of social protest, pro-european, pro-welfare, pro-civil rights, anti-monarchy
Independent - Left wing

I figured the tabloid was pretty much deserving of a single option anyways!  We all know what they're about!

Offline CarrieSheppard

• All it took was a visit to AZ...
    • My blog pages
Re: POLL: Which newspaper do you read?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 05:00:49 PM »
My option isn't there!  I don't like newspapers.  They get your fingers grubby - I am (sadly) an internet and TV news 'reader'!!

I don't read many magazines (except one, BBC history) either.  Books!  I read books.  But, I admit, not for news.   ;D

Carrie

Nelodra

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 06:39:12 PM »
Like Carrie, I don't read newspapers. I hate them! I don't like magazines either, but give me a good book, and I'm happy.
The news? Er... oh hubs will tell me if there's anything important inthe news. And I get the Arutz-7 by email.
That's quite enough news for me.

Offline "lorraineofkeli"

• The World Is Yours!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 10:44:36 AM »
I was given the chance to add another option when I edited the poll, so now those of you who don't read newspapers can make your mark.:)
Oh and you don't have to buy a paper every day to vote, just whatever one you would occasionally or sometimes buy will do.

Offline Amie

• Esteemed Contributor
    • threegeese
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 01:39:23 AM »
Would you really call the Independent left wing?  I always thought it was supposed to be right in the centre, aligned with neither party (hence the name).  The Grauniad I would have called left wing. 

Anyways, I read the Independent, the Guardian and the Times (not all of them every day!  I rotate papers). For this poll though, I only ticked the Independent and the Guardian because those are the ones that are more aligned with my politics.  I probably read The Times more frequently than the Guardian in actual fact (for one thing, it's easier to carry on a train, and also I like to get the view from the other side).  The Torygraph I just find too irritating to read.
"You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet." - Kafka

Offline Talisman

• June Austin
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 03:10:55 AM »
I don't really read newspapers either, as they are full of bad news that just makes me depressed. If I do buy one though, I get the Daily Mail, or very ocassionally, The Times.

June
I used to be an aetheist until I realised I was God
www.juneaustin.co.uk
http://juneaustin.blogspot.com/
http://conversationswithpod.blogspot.com/ - helping POD authors publicise their work

Offline oliver

• Abandoned children often live with their parents
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 08:55:28 AM »
Newspapers are at the bottom of my literary needs - no reflection of many wonderful journalists. Editors and the 'business criterion' cause slanted reporting and reviews. I recall I was once involved in a political rally and not one newspaper reported the matter correctly be they pro or anti the aims of the rally. Sensation and arrogance generally rule. Sad really. This incident happened in London. Oliver 
Where there is kindness to animals, everything else may be taken for granted.
Judge a person's character by how they treat animals and how that person will treat those who can do nothing for them.