Author Topic: Help required please for e-book formatting  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Jalexp

Help required please for e-book formatting
« on: September 18, 2011, 06:56:51 AM »
Hi all,

I've recently purchased Nick's book on writing for Kindle, which is great, but I can't seem to get the contents links or page breaks to work correctly?
I've transferred a novel from word to rtf and then used 'PageBreeze' to look at and edit HTML, I've put it into the Kindle for PC Program and everything is great apart from the contents page which still shows HTML and the page breaks which still show HTML.
Any ideas folks as it's driving me nuts;-)

Tony_A20

Re: Help required please for e-book formatting
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 01:57:40 PM »
Your contents page is probably not being referenced correctly, and e-books don't have page breaks.

See the e-book tutorials on my website for guidance.

Offline Jalexp

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 04:17:48 PM »
Thanks Tony_A20,

I'm on your site now - reading and learning;-)

Best regards,

Jalexp

Offline R. L. Copple

• R. L. Copple's Author Web Site
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 08:48:31 PM »
Not sure exactly what you are doing, since RTF is not an HTML format. That said, from what I can glean, it sounds like you've manually created a table of contents with html links? That might be the problem if you've just typed into the Word/RTF document,

Code: [Select]
<a href="blahblahblah">Chapter 1</a>
It's going to look just like that in the ebook if you upload an RTF file to Kindle. The only way that would work is if you exported it into an HTML document and edited that. Rather in the Word/RTF document, what you want to do is to type: Chapter 1 and then mark it, and hit Ctrl-K. Insert the reference link to the Chapter heading, and close. It should then look like a link in an HTML document, and that's what would get transferred to the Kindle.

However, you shouldn't need to create a manual TOC. Just make sure all your chapter headings and anything else you want in the table of contents uses the "Heading 1" or "Heading 2" style. The Kindle upload should pick those up and auto-create a TOC that can be accessed through Kindle's TOC goto button.

And, ebook do have page breaks. What it does is force at the page break the next text to show up at the top of an ebook window. I usually do that for chapter breaks, and most ebook programs will allow you to insert them at that point, or if you know how, you can add a forced page break into the style coding in the html document for the heading style you use for that. There are a few ereading programs that will ignore that, but most I've used will force a "new page" at a page break, which makes it feel more like a book.

Offline Jalexp

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 03:20:46 AM »
Thanks for the advice, what I did was edit in word, change to web page, filtered and then used PageBreeze as my HTML editor.
I can see now that in PageBreeze there is a 'normal' text and HTML - I think I've used both and like you say, instead of using HTML I've used the ordinary text which hasn't created the links.

Once again, thanks for the help, it's really appreciated.
Regards Jalexp