Author Topic: Traditional publishers list  (Read 3064 times)

Offline atlandmem

• View Profile
Traditional publishers list
« on: September 06, 2011, 05:37:35 PM »
Hey y'all.

i hope this finds everyone well.

listen does enyone have a short list of traditional publishers who are currently accepting work.
i am not looking for POD's, internet only, or anything "out there".
just traditional.

so who has the 411?

Wolfe

Re: Traditional publishers list
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 05:41:36 PM »
Funny.

You'll want to research getting an agent, bud. Also, a moderator will be along to ask you to introduce yourself first.

If your looking to land a publisher quickly, it's going to be a long road ahead for you.

That's the real 411.

Wolfe

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 05:52:32 PM »
Hi, Iíve noticed youíre new, atlandmem. ;) It's great that you are keen to ask questions but . . .

If you could go to the Welcome Board and introduce yourself youíll let members know youíve arrived and can begin to get to know how to find your way around things, the rules for posting and what the etiquette of the site expects.

http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php/board,1.0.html
http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php/topic,12325.0.html
http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=7415.0

510bhan
Global Moderator

Ambassador for NI. [without portfolio] 
http://www.lulu.com/shop/mwc/as-the-kettle-wolf-whistled/paperback/product-21544909.html

Wolfe

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 06:25:17 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/2012-Writers-Market-Robert-Brewer/dp/1599632268/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315347876&sr=8-1

Good luck.

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 04:35:37 AM »
Does it make more sense to get the Guide to Lit Agents if you're looking to publish traditionally? I thought the general Writers Market had only some of the agent listings that are in the full Lit Agent book.

Confused.  ???
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Wolfe

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 04:43:52 AM »
Writer's Market includes small presses, university presses, and other publishers in the second half. The first half includes agents.

The request was for publishers who will take unagented manuscripts. The response is slim to none, ala the slush pile, but it is what it is.

And yes, it does make more sense to get an agent if an author wishes to pursue traditional publishing. But, again, that wasn't the request.

That's why it amused me. :)

But far be it from me to crush dreams under the cruel heel of reality.

Wolfe
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 04:53:28 AM by Wolfe »

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 05:30:32 AM »
Not to be unkind, but the expression GIGO comes to mind (Google it!).

The truth is that almost all publishers are currently accepting work, or they would go out of business. The question is, are they looking for the kind of work you can provide? If you tell us a bit more about the sort of thing you are writing, we might be in a better position to advise you.

Welcome to MWC, by the way!

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline Grey Colson

• View Profile
    • Author C.A Griffith
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 10:37:43 PM »
Writer's Market includes small presses, university presses, and other publishers in the second half. The first half includes agents.

The request was for publishers who will take unagented manuscripts. The response is slim to none, ala the slush pile, but it is what it is.

And yes, it does make more sense to get an agent if an author wishes to pursue traditional publishing. But, again, that wasn't the request.

That's why it amused me. :)

But far be it from me to crush dreams under the cruel heel of reality.
Wolfe

LOL Do you mind if I borrow that fabulous statement to throw at some of my employees?  ;D

Offline Donnettetxgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 09:00:47 PM »
Lol, I agree with Wolfe on this one. It's going to be a long road indeed.

There are a few good publishers that take unagented material (very few), but you'd have a better chance getting in with them with an agent. And agents...well, they don't come easy.

If you don't want to go with a small POD press, there is always the option to go with an e-book press.

Preditors & Editors has a long list of publishers & agents.

Good luck with it. You'll definitely want to do your homework.

Donnette Smith
www.donnettesmith.com