Author Topic: At what point do you call yourself a writer?  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Vienna

Re: At what point do you call yourself a writer?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 02:11:16 PM »
I am probably a bit stupid but which of the many Lords are you on about?
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 02:24:02 PM »
I talked about this question with my husband recently. I told him I can imagine some day *not* being a journalist anymore.

I will never stop being a (fiction) writer. I tried and I was miserable every day. Guess it's a vocation. I should be off to practise it now.  :)

Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Offline deborahowen

• Goal: Help each writer reach their full potential
    • Creative Writing Institute
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 02:44:40 AM »
Don't think I understand your question. Who is it directed to?
Deborah Owen :)
CEO & Founder
Creative Writing Institute
http://www.creativewritinginstitute.com
Writing tutor/public speaker/editor/ghostwriter
Free tips at http://www.deborahowen.wordpress.com

Offline thatollie

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 07:28:56 PM »

Lord Jim?
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Luana Spinetti

• Words flowing from the heart
    • LuanaSpinetti.com
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 03:24:09 AM »
I call myself a writer because I can't bear with the possibility of not being able to write, nor of being denied that (that'd be worst kind of torture). If I had both my hands cut I would still use my feet to write.

I ended up training my left hand to write, however a little shaky, when I hurt my right hand in primary school. I can count on both hands nowadays.
~ Luana S. ~

A Writing Journal to plant seeds of imagination. A Writing Desk to grow entire worlds out of the humblest human mind.

Offline Vienna

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 05:56:10 AM »
Your frame of mind is something more than urgent. If I were you, I'd say, "I'm a teacher and a writer, and no, I don't
teach writing. I teach ________." (You can always predict that question.)

I have four loves in life. Sorry. Hubby didn't make the cut. lol

1. The Lord
2. Educator
3. Writing
4. Musician
5. Well, hubby had to get in here somewhere. He's a 52-year habit.

Number 1) The Lord?
Just a well-read punk peasant

Going to church makes you a christian as much as standing in a garage makes you a car!

Offline junel

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 08:38:18 AM »
I suppose I wont be calling myself a writer until I can get quit the day job ... but secretly, inside, I'll be calling myself a writer till then, though not to others.  :D

Offline Annmarie

• Got my kinky boots on. Watch out!
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 01:45:34 PM »
I suppose I wont be calling myself a writer until I can get quit the day job ... but secretly, inside, I'll be calling myself a writer till then, though not to others.  :D

This doesn't happen that often, Junel, so you better start calling yourself a writer now.  :)
Work hard. Believe. Take a chance.

Offline junel

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 03:04:21 PM »
This doesn't happen that often, Junel, so you better start calling yourself a writer now.  :)

I see the logic ... makes sense ... okay, I'm a writer then! Woo hoo ... I got there much earlier than I thought. Thanks Annmarie  ;D

Offline heidi52

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 04:12:50 PM »
Artists ask themselves the same question when starting out. Lots of long answers but the short one is

You are an "artist" or a "writer" when you believe you are.

Offline sara

• Sara Thomson Writer
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 04:42:12 PM »
I agree, being a writer depends on how much you believe it.

Although, having said that my day job is being a writer for a company writing anything and everything they need from content, press, blogging to letters and business documents. So I suppose I can call myself a writer because it is my day job and my part time freelance job/hobby too.

I'm not sure I would be as confident telling people I was a writer if I didn't do it for a day job.

Not to say that I wouldn't feel as if I was a writer, I just may be more reluctant to tell everyone if I wasn't getting a salary for it, but that's just me.

Its a tough one, if you feel you are a writer, then you are...

Celebrate it...  ;D

Sara

Offline deborahowen

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 05:08:46 PM »
Artists ask themselves the same question when starting out. Lots of long answers but the short one is

You are an "artist" or a "writer" when you believe you are.

The right answer! *ding *ding *ding Heidi gets first prize! More specifically, you're a writer when you reach for it, when you believe in yourself, when you step into your dreams and make them a reality - whether that be by hobby writing, pursuing courses, or actually selling your work.

Until you step out, you aren't a writer. Being a writer doesn't depend on diplomas, talent, or paid assignments. If it depended on talent, I've seen raw newbs who could write better than some of my instructors. That's the truth. And the instructor I have in mind made a living by writing.

Stretch yourself! Reach for what you want! If you don't, you'll never catch your star. Who cares what other people think? It pains me to say my own mother scorns me for calling myself a writer. She says, "Neither of my children had any talent." I had to get past that before I could take my place among writers. If you don't believe in yourself, don't expect anyone else to.
CEO & Founder

Offline deborahowen

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 05:21:37 PM »
I'm not sure I would be as confident telling people I was a writer if I didn't do it for a day job... I just may be more reluctant to tell everyone if I wasn't getting a salary for it, but that's just me. Its a tough one, if you feel you are a writer, then you are... Celebrate it...  ;D

Good point, Sara. I would be the first to admit that there are levels within the writing world - and all other realms of the world. Writers can try to fool themselves into thinking they're Stephen King if they so desire, but it never worked for me. Just knowing that I can be the best I can be is good enough for me, because I don't compare myself to anyone.

I'm an individual with gifts and traits that come in no other package, because there's no one else like me. I'm thankful for that. I like being different. But whether or not you like being different, you are. No one else is like you. No one else has your DNA, fingerprints, footprints, dental signature, or iris. You are one of a kind. The trick is to be the best one of a kind that you can be.

If you're looking at frogs, you see big frogs, little frogs, and tadpoles, but all are frogs. Never deny yourself your "writeful" place in life by limiting yourself or succumbing to someone else's small ideas. I promise you this - you can be more than you ever thought you could be.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 05:23:48 PM by deborahowen »
CEO & Founder

Offline Ivana

• I can, I know, I want, I will.
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2011, 05:30:16 PM »
Great question...I don't feel comfortable calling myself a writer yet, as I haven't published anything nor do I have much to share yet but people who know I'm writing call me one...does that count?  ???

Offline heidi52

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2011, 05:46:22 PM »
when you reach for it, when you believe in yourself, when you step into your dreams and make them a reality

Words to live by no matter what. It's amazing what you can do if you believe you can. (Forgive me I know it's cliched)

I personally think it is one of the secrets to a happy life.

Never perfect but it can be good. Very good sometimes.  ;)