Author Topic: Did Stephen Hawking kill God?  (Read 17006 times)

Offline Diana007

Re: Did Stephen Hawking kill God?
« Reply #195 on: September 18, 2011, 07:08:04 PM »
Mudge and Diana, I don't know if you realize it, but the original purpose of this thread was to discuss a position put forward by Stephan Hawking in a television special. In that specific special Hawking claimed that if you defined God as "the creator of the universe" then there was no scientific proof to support that. The entire special was him defending that argument using scientific evidence.

My point is that all the remarks you read in this thread apply to Stephan Hawking remarks in that specific debate and not to Stephan Hawking's beliefs in general.

And if you change the definition of God from "creator of the universe" to "moral compass for mankind" (or to some other definition) then his position that God was not creator of the universe can hold strong without denying the existance of God.

...changing the definition would change the outcome...because it would not be God.   Which is why I originally stated the impossibility of having this discussion with someone that does not believe in the existence of God....it becomes some trivial notion or just another name for the same thing but never the real acknowledgement of an actual God, for in the minute you do that who knows what might happen... maybe a paradigm shift or maybe even faith - and we could never have that now could we?  And yet the very question, 'Did Stephen Hawking kill God', seems to imply the possibility of the existence of God. I can see your dilemma. 

Offline Gayle

• "The Story Book" (1877) by William Bourguereau
« Reply #196 on: September 18, 2011, 07:43:41 PM »
The title of this thread, "did Stephan Hawking kill God," is a statement designed to get people's attention and not the actual subject of this thread. The subject of this thread is an argument (argument in the philosophical sense) put forward by Hawking during a television special.

...changing the definition would change the outcome...because it would not be God.
That is a very Christian statement. There are religions that believe in God but do not define him as "creator of the universe". It's always prudent to remember that religion is human kind's attempt to understand God and God (if he exists) exists in his own right and seperate from humanity's attempts to define him.

Hawking's position (in the T.V. special) stated that God was not responsible for the creation of the universe but didn't deny the possibility that God may have come into existance in the same moment as the rest of universe.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 07:47:13 PM by Gayle »
"I was born of writing. Before that, there was only a play of mirrors." - Jean Paul Sartre

Offline heidi52

« Reply #197 on: September 19, 2011, 09:21:26 AM »
There are no atheists in hell.

True.
In order for "hell" to exist you have to believe it does.

Hell is a concept imagined by man to try understand why an all powerful god doesn't punish evil doers. It's easier to believe that everyone will get their just desserts in the hereafter.

An atheist doesn't believe in hell, so it doesn't exist as far as s/he is concerned.

So no, there are no atheists in hell nor heaven.

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #198 on: September 19, 2011, 11:40:36 AM »
True.
In order for "hell" to exist you have to believe it does.

Hell is a concept imagined by man to try understand why an all powerful god doesn't punish evil doers. It's easier to believe that everyone will get their just desserts in the hereafter.

An atheist doesn't believe in hell, so it doesn't exist as far as s/he is concerned.

So no, there are no atheists in hell nor heaven.

Right now I'm dealing with tech support. I believe there can - regardless of religious affiliation or lack thereof - be hell on Earth.
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.

Offline heidi52

« Reply #199 on: September 19, 2011, 12:01:19 PM »
Right now I'm dealing with tech support. I believe there can - regardless of religious affiliation or lack thereof - be hell on Earth.
That takes no leap of faith there!

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #200 on: September 19, 2011, 12:33:06 PM »
Tech Support is mentioned in The Bible.  It's known there as the Tower Of Babel.

And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the sons of men had built. And the Lord said, "Behold, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; and nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them. Come, let us go down, and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another's speech."

So the Lord scattered them abroad from there over the face of the earth, and they left off building the city. Therefore its name was called Babel, because there the Lord confused the language of all the earth; and from there the Lord scattered them abroad over the face of the earth. - Genesis 11.
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Spell Chick

• Choose well
    • Little Bits of History
« Reply #201 on: September 19, 2011, 12:49:21 PM »
The guy's name - honestly and truly - was Nick LOLOL

But most importantly, he fixed my computer. Heavenly!
Little Bits of History A short essay on something that happened on any day.

Imperfect Reason My thoughts, such as they are.