Author Topic: Kindle Kash Prize Short Story Writing Contest  (Read 4618 times)

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • Entrepreneur Writer
Kindle Kash Prize Short Story Writing Contest
« on: July 29, 2011, 05:57:18 AM »
To celebrate the launch of my new writers guide Kindle Kash - a comprehensive guide to devising, writing, editing, publishing and promoting your own e-book on the massively popular Amazon Kindle platform - we are holding another prize short-story contest.

As Kindle seems to represent the future of publishing, we thought it would be appropriate to make this a science-fiction contest. The rules are as follows...

1. Your story must be 1000 words or under. It should also have a title of up to 15 words (which do not count towards the 1000 word limit).
2. It must be set in the solar system, but not on Earth. Moonbase settlers, Mars explorers, asteroid miners, or marines on maneuvers near Jupiter are all welcome!
3. The story must include the word “kindle” (or “Kindle”) somewhere in it. This can be the e-book reading device or just a plain verb, but it must be in the story somewhere. Derived words such as "kindling" are not acceptable, however. Credit will be given to authors who incorporate the word in as natural a way as possible, without making it stand out.

The contest will be judged by MWC moderator and science-fiction fan/author Andrew Fairhurst ("Andrewf"). As well as following the rules above, Andrew says he will be looking for stories that demonstrate originality and quality of writing. He is also looking for science fiction with plausible science rather than outright fantasy, and says points will be deducted for making Titan a moon of Mars!  

The prizes are as follows...

1st Prize - A copy of Kindle Kash, my latest writers guide for WCCL (see here for full details).
2nd Prize - An e-book copy of Voices, a five-star-rated sci-fi/horror novel by UK author David Robinson
3rd Prize - An e-book copy of The Festival on Lyris Five, my own illustrated science fantasy novella.
4th Prize - An e-book copy of Coronallium Conundrum, a humorous sci-fi novella by David Robinson.

The runner-up prizes are all available in Amazon Kindle or other e-book formats (including HTML and plain text) via Smashwords. Please note that The Festival on Lyris Five includes illustrations in the Kindle version only.

Thank you to my publishers, The WCCL Network, for donating the first prize, and to my colleague David Robinson for his two e-books.

If the first prize-winner has Kindle Kash already, or doesn’t want it for any reason, WCCL will be happy to substitute another from its writing range to the equivalent value (or less). See this blog post for a complete list of all the WCCL writing courses.

Stories will need to be submitted in the form of a forum personal message (PM), as explained below. It is not possible to send attachments with PMs, so if you create your story in Word or another word-processing program, you will need to copy and paste it into the body of a message. Single spaced is fine, with an extra space between paragraphs recommended. Put the title of your story at the top, followed by the story itself. No other content should be needed within the message.

Submit your entry by PM to moderator Ma100 (Mairi), who will be forwarding all entries to Andrew for anonymous judging. You can send her a PM by clicking here to visit her profile and clicking on the link "Send this member a personal message" near the bottom. Use the subject line Kindle Kash Short Story Contest, and avoid including your name or any other identifying information in your entry (Mairi will keep a record of who has sent each story). You will, of course, need to be a registered member of the forum and logged in to be able to enter. A maximum of two stories per member, please!

The closing date for this contest is Friday 2 September at 12.00 midday BST (British Summer Time). So you should have plenty of time to write and polish your story before submitting it!

Please do NOT post your story as a reply here. If you do this, it will have to be disqualified as Andrew will not be able to judge it anonymously. On the other hand, if you have any queries, please post them as replies below, and either I or another moderator will do our best to answer them. It is best not to send queries by PM, as there may then be a delay in getting them answered.

Finally, copyright in all entries will (of course) remain the property of the author concerned. We do, however, reserve the right to publish the winning entries and runners-up on the forum and on my blog at www.mywritingblog.com. Also, as is customary with contests on Mywriterscircle, all entries will be made available to MWC members in the form of a downloadable report, with the authors’ names not displayed. This is done in the interests of transparency, so that members can compare the other stories and see if they agree with the judge’s verdict.

I will post the results of the contest here and on my blog as soon as possible once it has been judged.

Good luck!

Nick  :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:03:52 PM by Nick »
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
Re: Sticky: Kindle Kash Prize Short Story Writing Contest
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 07:34:42 AM »
Yay!  ;D Sounds great Nick and over a month to get it done. ;) ;) ;)

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 02:14:24 PM »
LOL. Good luck, Sio  :D
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline Rohi Shetty

• I am a freelance writer and blogger.
    • Write Now, Right Now
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 04:54:22 AM »
Thanks, Nick, for another fun contest!
I'll do my best, though I've never written science fiction so far.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 06:10:45 AM »
Good luck to you too, Rohi!

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 04:10:41 AM »
Under a fortnight to go now! Hope those stories are coming along well. Andrew (our judge) and I are really looking forward to reading them!

Nick  :)

Offline Mastafrank

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 02:22:53 PM »
heehee this will be fun

Offline Luana Spinetti

• Words flowing from the heart
    • LuanaSpinetti.com
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 07:43:38 AM »
Is it possible to enter the contest even though English is a second tongue?
I realize this factor may (will?) influence the quality, but I'd love to give it a try.  :)
~ Luana S. ~

A Writing Journal to plant seeds of imagination. A Writing Desk to grow entire worlds out of the humblest human mind.

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 12:38:15 PM »
Is it possible to enter the contest even though English is a second tongue?
I realize this factor may (will?) influence the quality, but I'd love to give it a try.  :)

Go for it Lunan. From what I've seen of your English I don't think it would be a big handicap.
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 06:24:08 AM »
Just two more days to get your story in!

Offline Rohi Shetty

• Write Now, Right Now
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 10:26:44 AM »
Good luck, Lunan.
I plan to submit my story by tomorrow.
Deep breaths...

Offline Luana Spinetti

• Words flowing from the heart
    • LuanaSpinetti.com
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 10:28:07 AM »
Good luck, Lunan.
I plan to submit my story by tomorrow.
Deep breaths...

Good luck to you too. :)
Ah, the name is Luana. ;P
~ Luana S. ~

A Writing Journal to plant seeds of imagination. A Writing Desk to grow entire worlds out of the humblest human mind.

Offline Rohi Shetty

• Write Now, Right Now
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 10:32:26 AM »
Sorry, Luana, and thanks.
Let's do this.

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 03:56:41 AM »
Just three hours left to get your story in (deadline is 12 midday BST). Don't hang about!

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 08:28:23 AM »
Entries for this contest are now closed. Thank you to everyone who entered. Results will appear as soon as the judge has picked the winners.

Good luck!