Author Topic: The End of the World!  (Read 7286 times)

Offline Andrew Biss

• View Profile
The End of the World!
« on: July 13, 2011, 06:17:28 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I'm very glad to have discovered this great site and hope to make a lot of new friends here.

I'd also like to let you know about my new contemporary fantasy novella, The End of the World. Here's a little more information on the book, which I'd love for to to check out further if this sounds interesting to you:

Description:

Accustomed to a life of cosseted seclusion at home with his parents, Valentine is suddenly faced with making his own way in the world. His new life is quickly upended, however, when he's mugged at gunpoint. Finding shelter at a mysterious inn run by the dour Mrs. Anna, he soon encounters a Bosnian woman with a hole where her stomach used to be, an American entrepreneur with a scheme to implant televisions into people's foreheads, and a Catholic priest who attempts to lure him down inside a kitchen sink. Then things start getting strange...

In this story based loosely around the state of Bardo from The Tibetan Book of the Dead - an intermediate state where the dead arrive prior to rebirth - dying is the easy part. Getting out of Bardo and returning to the land of the living is a far more perilous proposition, and unless you know what you're doing...you might never leave.

An odd, yet oddly touching tale of life, death, and the space in-between.

Reviews:

"A surreal, clever literary novella."

"Weird, funny and philosophical - recommended."

--Helen Smith, author of the #1 Amazon bestseller Alison Wonderland

"The End of the World is very much Alice in Wonderland meets Beetlejuice."

"Humorous, deceptively light and drier than dust."

"Jerky for the mind."

--The Compulsive Reader

Available at: Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K. / Barnes & Noble

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 11:13:02 AM by Andrew Biss »

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • View Profile
    • Alice's Hide Away
Re: The End of the World!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 06:50:32 PM »
Congratulations for finishing your book and getting it published.

Now, what are you working on now?  ;)

Offline Andrew Biss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 07:17:58 PM »
Thank you so much, Alice!

Well, I've actually just completed a collection of six first person short stories collectively entitled The Impressionists, each juxtaposing the public face with the private, conflicted person behind it. (Something I think we can all relate to at different times in our lives.)

That's literally just been released, but I didn't want to overwhelm my first post here with too much information  :)

Currently I'm working on another quirky novella with the working title of "The Astonishing Tale of Horatio Higgins." This is a dark, funny, yet ultimately sad tale of someone slipping through society's cracks.

Thanks so much for the kind words and I look forward to spending a lot more time here.

Best wishes,

Andrew
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 08:26:25 PM by Alice, a Country Gal »

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 07:53:26 PM »
Well done you. I've written a book on a similar theme - they're all dead, makes it great fun writing about them -- no limitations :D :D :D

Offline Andrew Biss

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 08:42:42 PM »
Thanks so much! And yes, you're absolutely right, if you're writing about the dead, the possibilities are endless. It's definitely a theme I want to explore again, as it allows one's imagination to run wild  :o

Offline Rami

• View Profile
    • Pedro Is Writing
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 02:14:17 AM »
congrats. I'm working on an urban fantasy collection right now.

Offline Andrew Biss

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 12:09:12 PM »
Thanks, Rami! And good luck with your collection - I hope it's a great success!

Offline A.J.B

• Enjoying bouts of moderate insanity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 02:16:25 PM »
This sounds very tempting, indeed!

I am going to keep an eye on this thread so that when I have worked my way through my reading list/reviewing list I shall have to pick this up :)

What's the Kindle Price?

Offline Andrew Biss

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 03:48:44 PM »
Hello A.J.B.,

Thanks very much for your interest in "The End of the World." It's currently priced at $2.99 (Kindle) on U.S. Amazon, but since it looks like you're in the U.K., Amazon U.K. are currently doing a promotional free giveaway of the book, so you can get it gratis! The offer is about to end very soon, though, and after that it'll be back to its normal price of around 2.00 GBP.

Thanks again for your interest in my book!

All the best,

Andrew

Offline A.J.B

• Enjoying bouts of moderate insanity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 03:55:21 PM »
You sold me just there :P I look forward to reading it. Just as soon as I finish reading 'Sharpe's Battle'.

EDIT

I notice you have three books on amazon. Might I suggest making use of the sticky thread in this sub forum about amazon tagging? Might help get them out there a fraction more. Can't hurt at the very least!

Offline Andrew Biss

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 05:26:15 PM »
Hah! Yes, that's a price that's hard to beat, isn't it?  ;)

Well, when you get to it I hope you'll enjoy it!

And thanks a million for the tip on tagging on the sticky thread here. I'll do that right now! You're absolutely right, it certainly couldn't hurt.

Cheers,

Andrew

Offline Andrew Biss

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 12:47:38 PM »
Well, unfortunately the free promotion of The End of the World in the U.K. is over  :(. However, the good news is that it's still being sold at a discount price. Not a big discount, it's true, but let's face it, every penny counts!  ;D

If you're interested you can find it here in the U.K.:

And here in the U.S.:

Sadly there's no discount on the U.S. site. Amazon U.K. are currently price matching the book's price on the U.K. iBooks/iTunes site. But at $2.99 it's still cheaper than a cappuccino!  :o

Offline Andrew Biss

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 11:35:04 AM »
For anyone living in the US or Canada, the website Free Book Friday is currently running a giveaway of 5 paperback editions of The End of the World. Just click on the "Indie" section and you'll see it, along with a brief interview with yours truly.

My apologies to anyone living in the UK or elsewhere - it's the site's restriction, not mine. However, at just 1.99 in Amazon's Kindle store it's still a bargain!  :D

Offline Andrew Biss

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 12:13:34 PM »
The End of the World has a brand new cover along with a brand spanking new discount price on Amazon UK right now of just 1.49!

Offline Andrew Biss

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 08:57:53 PM »
If you're looking for something a little different to read this weekend, consider The End of the World. It's escapism of a different sort, where the familiar is strange and the strange is familiar; where death is life-affirming and life is death-affirming; and ultimately it's where we all end up, according to cranky landlady, Mrs. Anna, who runs - after a fashion - that destination known as The End of the World.

You can check it out here in the U.S. and here in the U.K.!

Overview:

Are you prepared for what comes next?

Accustomed to a life of cosseted seclusion at home with his parents, Valentine is suddenly faced with making his own way in the world. His new life is quickly upended, however, when he's mugged at gunpoint. Finding shelter at a mysterious inn run by the dour Mrs. Anna, he soon encounters a Bosnian woman with a hole where her stomach used to be, an American entrepreneur with a scheme to implant televisions into people's foreheads, and a Catholic priest who attempts to lure him down inside a kitchen sink. Then things start getting strange...

In this story based loosely around the state of Bardo from The Tibetan Book of the Dead - an intermediate state where the dead arrive prior to rebirth - dying is the easy part. Getting out of Bardo and returning to the land of the living is a far more perilous proposition, and unless you know what you're doing...you might never leave.

An odd, yet oddly touching tale of life, death, and the space in-between.

Reviews:

"The End of the World is very much Alice in Wonderland meets Beetlejuice."

"Humorous, deceptively light and drier than dust."

"Jerky for the mind."

--The Compulsive Reader

"A surreal, clever literary novella."

"Weird, funny and philosophical - recommended."

--Helen Smith, author of Alison Wonderland, The Miracle Inspector, Being Light