Author Topic: Size of Submissions  (Read 2460 times)

Offline notthatrick

Size of Submissions
« on: July 03, 2011, 12:30:56 AM »
Hey, folks.

My first post on the Script board.  I've been wondering: The submissions I've seen are short - a single screen.  That seems like a hard way to read a script.  Don't you lose all continuity working your way through it piecemeal like that?

Thanks
r

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
Re: Size of Submissions
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 06:45:43 AM »
Rick, if you take a minute to read the guidelines for this board, you'll see one reason for the post being shorter than you feel they might be.

Guidelines:
http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php/topic,3425.0.html

Plus, experience has shown that a shorter post will usually generate more critiques/feedback than a long one.

Remember, people do the critiques for free and they do take time away from other things they could be doing . . . like writing.  ;)
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi

Offline notthatrick

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 09:03:04 PM »
Rick, if you take a minute to read the guidelines for this board, you'll see one reason for the post being shorter than you feel they might be.

Guidelines:
http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php/topic,3425.0.html

Plus, experience has shown that a shorter post will usually generate more critiques/feedback than a long one.

Remember, people do the critiques for free and they do take time away from other things they could be doing . . . like writing.  ;)

Thanks, Alice.  Yeah, I actually did read that.  Just didn't catch the 1000 word thing.  I guess that translates into 5 or 6 pages at a time max.

I understand the time-consuming nature of reading and critiquing.  And I am not trying to knock the rules of the board - just trying to learn and understand.

Besides, I would think the point you make holds regardless whether we read an entire script in one sittings (which apparently is not going to happen) or one scene at a time (which still seems problematic to me).  But none of us should be doing this "for free" anyway, right?  Isn't the idea to scratch each other's backs?  If we want help, then we all have to make time for writing and critiquing.  That's how I'm approaching it anyway.

Thanks
r

Tony_A20

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 10:37:00 PM »
Why don't you try posting a few scenes, but provide the whole script in PDF format as a download for those who would like to read more at one sitting. On the New Thread screen click on the "other options" box to upload your file.

Offline Gyppo

• Esteemed Contributor
  • I've been writing ever since I realised I could.
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 03:20:29 AM »
Thanks, Alice.  Yeah, I actually did read that.  Just didn't catch the 1000 word thing.  I guess that translates into 5 or 6 pages at a time max.

Just a gentle hint here, Rick.  Don't guess, know.  Knowing how many words you have sooner or later becomes an essential skill for a writer.  If by some freak chance your processor doesn't have a word count facility then count a few pages and find out what your personal average is per page.

After a while you get a feel for it anyway and a little light comes in on your head warning if a piece of writing is starting to feel 'too long' for a particular market.

Best wishes,

Gyppo
My website is currently having a holiday, but will return like the $6,000,000 man.  Bigger, stronger, etc.

In the meantime, why not take pity on a starving author and visit my book sales page at http://stores.lulu.com/gyppo1

Offline Maimi

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 12:18:50 PM »
Hello Rick,

Besides attracting more reviewers when you post an excerpt ...

More than likely, many mistakes found in the beginning repeat throughout a script. After all, they're called crutches and bad habits for a reason. Feedback on an excerpt allows you to correct those mistakes before posting the next section. Everyone--including you--will see the improvement. Often reviews become more in depth, after mistakes you beat your head on the keyboard over are corrected, with each new post.

I'm not trying to say your writing isn't up to snuff. I'm speaking from personal experience and the growth I've seen others have here. :)

Well, that's my take on critiquing by this forum's guidelines. I hope this outlook helps.

-Maimi

P.S. There's no harm in taking Tony's advice or asking if anyone is interested in reviewing your script. Some may want feedback on their script in exchange.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 12:28:03 PM by Maimi »

Offline notthatrick

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 12:45:40 PM »
Yes, Movie Magic provides it as a feature, but other than complying with the rules of the new message board I just joined, I really don't care - or normally have need for - a word count.  In my experience that's more of a novel/short story writing thing.  With screenplays it's all about page count.  But thanks for the hint, anyway.  I will obviously need to use that feature here.
Just a gentle hint here, Rick.  Don't guess, know.  Knowing how many words you have sooner or later becomes an essential skill for a writer.  If by some freak chance your processor doesn't have a word count facility then count a few pages and find out what your personal average is per page.

After a while you get a feel for it anyway and a little light comes in on your head warning if a piece of writing is starting to feel 'too long' for a particular market.

Best wishes,

Gyppo

Offline notthatrick

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 12:49:28 PM »
Why don't you try posting a few scenes, but provide the whole script in PDF format as a download for those who would like to read more at one sitting. On the New Thread screen click on the "other options" box to upload your file.
Thanks, that could be the best of both worlds.