Author Topic: Fillers  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Mel

• View Profile
Fillers
« on: January 28, 2006, 02:33:07 PM »
I've recieved conflicting information regarding fillers: Once they've been published, don't re-submit; once they've been publsihed, send them out again.

Any suggestions?

SuzieHarris

Re: Fillers
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 02:47:28 PM »
Mel,

Nothing wrong with re-working them a little and then sending them out again. Just make sure they are different, publishers like to think they are getting something unique.

suzie

Offline Nick

• Nick Daws
  • Global Moderator
  • Retired from running MWC but still writing!
    • View Profile
    • Entrepreneur Writer
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 07:47:09 AM »
I agree with Suzie's advice. Rewrite them, don't use the same words in the same order. I'd also leave it at least six months, preferably a year, between submissions. And keep writing new ones as well!

By the way, my course Quick Cash Writing has a complete module on writing fillers, and another on the related field of writing readers' letters. These are both great ways to get started making money from writing. More details: www.nickdaws.co.uk/qcw.htm.

Nick  :)
Check out my writing blog at www.entrepreneurwriter.net. I also have a new UK personal finance blog called Pounds and Sense.

Offline Symphony

• View Profile
    • Put the kettle on
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 09:40:25 AM »
I've just bought Quick Cash Writing. I'm doing a Writers Bureau course which has bits and pieces about fillers and readers' letters in it, but there so much more in QCW. Enjoying it thoroughly.

Symphony
Just Tell the Truth - www.audiostoriesforkids.com
The Magic Show - www.audiostoriesforkids.com

Blog:  http://www.putthekettleon.org

pojoy1029

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 01:04:30 AM »
I've been wanting to get into the fillers market but don't know how to submit them. Is it one filler to a sheet (especially one-three liners)? Is a cover letter needed? Any advice will surely be appreciated.

Joyce

Offline Symphony

• View Profile
    • Put the kettle on
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 09:33:48 AM »
Hello there,

Don't want to jump the gun, but from what I've learned so far you don't need a covering letter with fillers and you can submit several on the same page (particularly if they're very short)

I've read conflicting thoughts on how to submit them, though. On one of the courses I'm doing, they specify submitting them quite professionally (a bit like a normal ms); others say you've better chance if you don't look so professional, even to the point of writing them, rather than typing (but possibly this could apply more to readers' letters than to fillers?)

Symph

p.s. just received my first cheque - Grand Total: 25.00 - for a filler for Bella magazine (well, hey - we've all got to start somewhere???  ;D)

Just Tell the Truth - www.audiostoriesforkids.com
The Magic Show - www.audiostoriesforkids.com

Blog:  http://www.putthekettleon.org

pojoy1029

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 12:08:31 PM »
Thanks for that info. And congrats on the check. May not be much right now, but it's a start. On to bigger things!

Joyce