Author Topic: Stories Invited for Machine of Death 2 Anthology  (Read 14634 times)

Offline Laura H

Re: Stories Invited for Machine of Death 2 Anthology
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2011, 09:31:35 AM »
Just checked the site and they say there'll email everyone who submitted so it''ll be more likely the end of the week.

Dagnabitt!
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Chrissie

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2011, 09:33:09 AM »

Offline Laura H

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2011, 09:45:53 AM »
It IS where I come from.  Fun to say, too ;)
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Chrissie

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2011, 10:15:34 AM »
It IS where I come from.  Fun to say, too ;)
And a lot more polite than the alternatives! And rabbit rhymes with it - should try and get it into a limerick!  ;D

Offline Chrissie

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2011, 05:01:52 AM »
 ;D
Is anybody following the volume 2 updates on MOD's website? Some of the comments from those who've submitted are quite entertaining. Anyone on MWC received an email yet?

Offline Chrissie

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2011, 11:06:16 AM »
  :( :(
I've had my email and it's not good news! Anyone else out there had news, good or bad?

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2011, 11:28:12 AM »
Hey, yeah, got my rejection just now! Dagnabbit!
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2011, 11:58:49 AM »
My lovely rejection:

Hi there,

First off, and with all sincerity: thank you for sending us "It Shows in the Blood"!

As you may have heard, five years ago when we did the original call for stories for Machine of Death 1, we received about 675 stories. This time around, we received almost THREE TIMES that amount, with 1,958 stories submitted. Not only were we blown away by how MANY stories we received, but we were also blown away by their raw quality. The bad news is that the reality we live in insists there's only room for 30 or so stories in the book, and that means there's going to be 1,920 stories that we can't fit into Machine of Death this time around, regardless of how awesome they are.

Unfortunately, yours is one of them. We regret that "It Shows in the Blood" will not be appearing in Machine of Death 2.

Normally this is where an email like this would end, perhaps with a brief thank you for your submission. But we're serious when we say the sheer quality of the stories we received staggered us. There's enough excellence, there in our inbox, to put out FIVE really amazing volumes. And it would be a crime to leave these stories unpublished like that. Many of the stories that aren't right for the Volume 2 anthology (for a bunch of different reasons: anthology pacing, variety, length, and so on) would fit wonderfully in any hypothetical future collection, or some other kind of MOD project down the line.

Of course, right now the focus will be on Machine of Death 2: on assembling the book, on getting the stories illustrated, on getting the finished book out into the world, and in making the whole thing as awesome as we can. But after that, if all goes well, we'd like to continue doing some really exciting things with these really great stories you've sent us. And we'll be keeping your story in consideration for whatever those plans might be.

Obviously we can't promise anything, and nobody can predict the future. But if all goes well, a while down the road, we may be able to send out some more acceptance letters. There's a chance you could hear from us then.

Even if we're never able to purchase your story and this is the last you hear from us about it, let us say this: thank you. You created something out of nothing, brought a new narrative into the universe, and shared it with us. Reading these stories has been a humbling and inspiring experience. Thank you, once more, for being a part of it.

If you submitted more than one story, we'll be sending you an email with our decision for each of them over the next few days!

Offline Chrissie

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2011, 12:12:57 PM »
Hi 510 and Matt
Yes,  510, mine looked like that too. I was impressed that they were personalised, that must have been a lot of extra work. Oh well, maybe next time. I think the thing is to have lots of work out there being considered so you don't feel too bad when you get a rejection - you can be hoping that one of your pieces hits the mark. Just got to write something now!  :'(

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2011, 12:21:57 PM »
But isn't it a thoughful rejection and still encouraging . . . maybe other pubishers could take note. ;)

Offline Chrissie

« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2011, 12:27:06 PM »
But isn't it a thoughful rejection and still encouraging . . . maybe other pubishers could take note. ;)

Yes it is and I agree that a bit more of this wouldn't go amiss elsewhere! Also, did you read the updates on the process? At least those in charge were keeping everyone informed which helped with the wait. I've entered a couple of competitions recently where I didn't even get an email to let me know the shortlists or winners were up on their sites. So I was blithely carrying on thinking I may still be in with a chance!

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2011, 12:35:48 PM »
Got the same one as Sio. Wonder how long they're planning to hold onto the stories now.
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2011, 01:12:17 PM »
There once was a writer called Ollie
who sent out a Machine of Death Story
He may have been a rabbit
but he still said "Dagnabitt"
because he didn't get any glory.

In sane terms, I received my first rejection.

Oh well, if I need to pile up x number of rejections before I get my first sale then I now need x-1.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Maimi

« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2011, 01:36:06 PM »
I don't envy them. If the submissions were half as entertaining as some comments, they had a tough job.

Oh, that rejection looks familiar to me too. ;) Still, what a fun project.

It's not all bad. Thanks to the rejection, I got to do something I normally don't do: tell my husband I told you so. :D

That, ladies and gentlemen, is my silver lining for the day. ::) :D

Offline Matt Walker

« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2011, 01:41:06 PM »
Yes, I got the same email.
Represented by Sarah Manning of The Agency Group/United Talent Agency

www.walkerproductions.co.uk