Author Topic: Hello I'm not new, I'm an old member with a new name.  (Read 5870 times)

Offline Amanda George

• Currently editing all my manuscripts!
    • Stories 4 Children
Re: Hello I'm not new, I'm an old member with a new name.
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2011, 04:00:23 PM »
Thank you Jim!  I know enough HTML to create and upload pages but other than that I'm clueless!  lol  All of my current website (with the exception of the javascript for the guestbook and Mitzi's two counters) are all hand-coded!  My previous site was done in FrontPage!  I'm thinking of giving each of my characters a blog or a page on my site or something like that, but I don't want to encourage my readers to break the law by having a website when they are too young!   :-\

Hi Amanda,

Glad you liked my website. I got the idea from my friend Steve Weber in his great little book: Plug Your Book! Online Book Marketing for Authors. "Building your author Web site: Few people can benefit more from a Web site than authors. A simple do-it-yourself site can provide a huge visibility boost at very low cost. Getting involved: Some authors outsource their Web project, paying a designer $500 or more to build what amounts to an online brochure. That's a big mistake, because static Web sites with little content don't draw the repeat traffic that will sell your book." That is sage advice. I think you'll agree that my site is anything but static. Check out Steve's comments in my guest book. Steve's book is the best $17 I ever spent. Available on Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk. There are several places on the Web that will let you set up a site for free. Not a great idea. I went to GoDaddy.com and purchased my domain. Along with that I purchased their application Websitetonight. You do not have to be fluent in html. The application is extremely user friendly. If you get stuck there is FREE 24/7 tech support. It is a win-win situation. My site is very easy to update. I take my relationship with my readers very seriously and I personally answer each and every email and/or guest book entry. Steve also advises that you check out author websites and he gives some good examples. One of the best of these is www.Scottoline.com the site of mystery writer Lisa Scottoline. Another recommendation was www.DavidBaldacci.com.

Bottom line is that a novel is a living breathing thing and as such it is in a constant state of flux. Your website must reflect that. STATIC IS DEAD!

Jim
There is no beginning or end. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present (unknown)

Money cannot buy happiness but somehow, it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes Benz than it is on a bicycle.

Offline SkyDoc

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2011, 05:31:54 PM »
One Tech at GoDaddy recommended WordPro. I also purchased a multiple domain kind of thing, but haven't gotten around to setting it up yet. I've got too many projects and not enough hours in the day. It's probably the same with you. One way to promote your book is by getting as many reviews as you can. If you're interested, I'd be happy to send you a signed copy to review. jgill12775 (at) optonline (dot) net I also did a e-zine piece on WritersWeekly titled Publishing Your Book is Not Enough. It has a lot of info on book promotion especially on Amazon.

Jim

Offline Amanda George

• Stories 4 Children
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2011, 05:41:25 PM »
Thank you for the offer Jim, I really appreciate it but it would cost quite a bit to send overseas and I just can't afford anything like that right now (I'm 300 overdrawn at the bank) and I barely know you - that's not meant as a negative, I just don't give my address out online!  Sorry!  :(

One Tech at GoDaddy recommended WordPro. I also purchased a multiple domain kind of thing, but haven't gotten around to setting it up yet. I've got too many projects and not enough hours in the day. It's probably the same with you. One way to promote your book is by getting as many reviews as you can. If you're interested, I'd be happy to send you a signed copy to review. jgill12775 (at) optonline (dot) net I also did a e-zine piece on WritersWeekly titled Publishing Your Book is Not Enough. It has a lot of info on book promotion especially on Amazon.

Jim
There is no beginning or end. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present (unknown)

Money cannot buy happiness but somehow, it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes Benz than it is on a bicycle.

Offline SkyDoc

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2011, 06:10:15 PM »
No problem. I understand. Been there done that. Almost got the T-shirt. Anyway, I'm more than glad to help the promotion of your books anyway that I can by sharing any hard won experience I've managed to gather along the way. There's just so much more to the craft of writing than just writing well and getting your work published. I started writing Point Deception during a long deployment to the Persian Gulf with the Navy. Sea duty is a great writing environment. Then I woke up and found out that I had to do a lot of the book promoting myself. Oh well most new writers overlook this little detail.

Have a great day!

Jim

Offline Amanda George

• Stories 4 Children
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2011, 06:27:52 AM »
Thank you so much for understanding, Jim!  :)