Author Topic: Hello I'm not new, I'm an old member with a new name.  (Read 5873 times)

Silt

Re: Hello I'm not new, I'm an old member with a new name.
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
Welcome back to the site.

Offline Amanda George

• Currently editing all my manuscripts!
    • Stories 4 Children
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 03:32:43 PM »
I don't know what to say to this other than wow!  You are an incredible man, Jim!

Amanda,

Don't you know that all teenagers think they're ten feet tall and bullet proof? Thank God I outgrew that! My parents went through a bitter divorce and as an only child naturally I thought it was all my fault. I retreated to the sanctuary of books. I read Moby Dick in the fourth grade. Melville's classic opening line, "Call me Ishmael . . . " As you know Melville was a master in the use of the metaphor. Ishmael is from the Bible--in Melville's time (mid-1850's) the Bible was/is a best seller. I'm sure you know the story that Ishmael was the bastard son of the king and a slave girl. The jealous queen had Ishmael and his mother banished to the desert. Thus Ishmael became the symbol of outcasts and orphans. Even early on I was well aware of the symbolism as I left home to make my way in the world. Also notice that the line is "Call me Ishmael" not my name is Ishmael. We never know who the narrator is. Melville planned it that way. I certainly identified with Ishmael at fourteen. Later I would identify with Billy Budd.

Jim   
There is no beginning or end. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present (unknown)

Money cannot buy happiness but somehow, it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes Benz than it is on a bicycle.

Offline SkyDoc

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 04:22:07 PM »
Hello All,

Thank you for making me feel welcome. Happy Easter everyone!

It's like I never left. I've learned a heck of a lot about our craft since I was last here. Book promotion is a huge undertaking. Where did I ever get the foolish idea that all I had to do is write a good book? Good thing I'm retired so I don't have to sweat the day job thing.

Jim

Offline Amanda George

• Stories 4 Children
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 05:19:30 PM »
Maybe you could share your experiences with us, please Jim?  I'm about to head to bed but I'll check in here as soon as I wake up in the morning!  Nite all!
There is no beginning or end. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present (unknown)

Money cannot buy happiness but somehow, it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes Benz than it is on a bicycle.

Offline SkyDoc

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 05:46:24 PM »
Good Night Amanda,

I put a little blurb on book promotion on the thread: Self-Publishing Central. It's a new thread recently started by NickDawes. Basically the two main promotional tools are an author website, preferably set up before your book comes out and the second most important thing is a book trailer. My trailer is on my website: http://www.pointdeception.com. check it out and let me know what you think.

Jim

Offline R Schm Fem

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 10:04:51 PM »
Welcome again, (even though I'm only a few days old mWC newbie), Jim!

Offline Amanda George

• Stories 4 Children
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 08:55:34 AM »
Good Night Amanda,

I put a little blurb on book promotion on the thread: Self-Publishing Central. It's a new thread recently started by NickDawes. Basically the two main promotional tools are an author website, preferably set up before your book comes out and the second most important thing is a book trailer. My trailer is on my website: http://www.pointdeception.com. check it out and let me know what you think.

Jim

Looking good!  :)  Where did you learn how to create a website?

Offline thatollie

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Welcome back.
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline Joe Mynhardt

• Tales from The Darkest Depths
    • Joe Mynhardt
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 10:12:09 AM »
Hi, welcome back.
Founder and CEO of Crystal Lake Publishing - Tales from the Darkest Depths.
Two time Bram Stoker Award nominated editor publishing only the best in Dark Fiction. Check out Crystal Lake's books and grab two free titles by joining the newsletter.

Offline Hugh

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2011, 10:25:58 AM »
SeaDoc, SkyDoc, LandDoc whatever next good to see you back.

Look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

Hugh

Offline SkyDoc

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2011, 11:18:18 AM »
Hi Amanda,

Glad you liked my website. I got the idea from my friend Steve Weber in his great little book: Plug Your Book! Online Book Marketing for Authors. "Building your author Web site: Few people can benefit more from a Web site than authors. A simple do-it-yourself site can provide a huge visibility boost at very low cost. Getting involved: Some authors outsource their Web project, paying a designer $500 or more to build what amounts to an online brochure. That's a big mistake, because static Web sites with little content don't draw the repeat traffic that will sell your book." That is sage advice. I think you'll agree that my site is anything but static. Check out Steve's comments in my guest book. Steve's book is the best $17 I ever spent. Available on Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk. There are several places on the Web that will let you set up a site for free. Not a great idea. I went to GoDaddy.com and purchased my domain. Along with that I purchased their application Websitetonight. You do not have to be fluent in html. The application is extremely user friendly. If you get stuck there is FREE 24/7 tech support. It is a win-win situation. My site is very easy to update. I take my relationship with my readers very seriously and I personally answer each and every email and/or guest book entry. Steve also advises that you check out author websites and he gives some good examples. One of the best of these is www.Scottoline.com the site of mystery writer Lisa Scottoline. Another recommendation was www.DavidBaldacci.com.

Bottom line is that a novel is a living breathing thing and as such it is in a constant state of flux. Your website must reflect that. STATIC IS DEAD!

Jim

twisted wheel

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011, 11:21:15 AM »
Hello,

My name is Jim Gilliam, in my old life I was seadoc now my new name is skydoc. I first joined the forum in 2009 while deployed to the Persian Gulf with the Navy's Military Sealift Command. When I returned to the US and retired from the Navy I was unable to log on to the forum under seadoc since seadoc's old email address was no longer valid. I contacted Nick or one of the other administrators (I forget) explained the problem and rejoined under the new name of skydoc. Hey it's still me and I'll update my profile ASAP. It's good to be back with the group.

Jim Gilliam

welcome back jim

Offline SkyDoc

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 12:01:15 PM »
Hi Hugh I missed your mentoring. I'm busy writing the sequel to Point Deception titled The Campeche Reprisal and I'll be seeking your advice. You know me, I'm not at all bashful about picking your brain.

Thanks Midnight Candle it's good to be back.

Jim

Offline thatollie

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2011, 12:20:28 PM »
SeaDoc, SkyDoc, LandDoc whatever next good to see you back.

Look forward to seeing more of your stuff.

Hugh

SpaceDoc?
Never make a decision standing up.

Offline SkyDoc

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2011, 12:52:28 PM »
I'm a retired physician assistant the seadoc was from my Navy days--happily retired. Before the Navy I was in the Army jumping out of perfectly good aircraft. Thus the name skydoc. Although from time-to-time I've been accused of being spaced out, I don't have enough time in that condition to adopt the handle of spacedoc. Good idea though, maybe I should think about branching out into Sci-Fi.

Jim