Author Topic: Hello I'm not new, I'm an old member with a new name.  (Read 5874 times)

Offline SkyDoc

Hello I'm not new, I'm an old member with a new name.
« on: April 24, 2011, 11:41:35 AM »
Hello,

My name is Jim Gilliam, in my old life I was seadoc now my new name is skydoc. I first joined the forum in 2009 while deployed to the Persian Gulf with the Navy's Military Sealift Command. When I returned to the US and retired from the Navy I was unable to log on to the forum under seadoc since seadoc's old email address was no longer valid. I contacted Nick or one of the other administrators (I forget) explained the problem and rejoined under the new name of skydoc. Hey it's still me and I'll update my profile ASAP. It's good to be back with the group.

Jim Gilliam

Offline Amanda George

• Currently editing all my manuscripts!
    • Stories 4 Children
Re: Hello I'm not new, I'm an old member with a new name.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 11:45:04 AM »
Welcome back to the forum, Jim!  You won't know me as I've only been here for a few months... it's good to meet you though!
There is no beginning or end. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present (unknown)

Money cannot buy happiness but somehow, it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes Benz than it is on a bicycle.

Offline SkyDoc

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 11:47:14 AM »
Thanks Amanda it's nice to meet you. What kind of writing do you do?

Jim

Offline Laura H

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 11:56:54 AM »
Hi & welcome back to both the US and MWC.  Hope to see you around :D
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” ― Maya Angelou

“Don't be like the rest of them, darling.” ― Eudora Welty

Offline Amanda George

• Stories 4 Children
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 11:58:22 AM »
I write fiction for children, tweens and young adults... what about you? What do you write?  :)
There is no beginning or end. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present (unknown)

Money cannot buy happiness but somehow, it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes Benz than it is on a bicycle.

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 12:28:36 PM »
Welcome back.

Skip

Offline SkyDoc

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 12:30:07 PM »
Laura and Amanda,

Looks like you've been busy! I am the author of a suspense thriller, Point Deception. Young Tim Kelly begins an Indiana Jones style adventure in 1956, when he runs away from home to New Orleans (The Big Easy) where he survives an attempted rape and latter he is almost murdered in the French Quarter. Surviving the mean streets of The Big Easy, Tim lies about his age and joins the Coast Guard at the tender age of 14. Almost a decade later his award of the Silver Star Medal in Vietnam is eclipsed when he starts a riot in an Air Force officer's club. Returning to his home state of Texas with a less than honorable discharge to enter the shadow world of drug and human trafficking as an undercover narcotics agent sponsored by his old friend and mentor Rudolfo Guzman a kingpin in the ruthless Campeche drug cartel. When his cover is blown he is tortured and awaits the rescue that may come too late. Check out the book trailer Point Deception by Jim Gilliam.wmv on YouTube. The book has had some decent reviews. I'm presently working on the sequel called The Campeche Reprisal.

I'm having a ball writing, but the promotion of my book is something else again. I never realized!

Jim

Offline SkyDoc

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 12:32:52 PM »
Hi Skip,

Thanks. How are things with you these days?

Jim

Offline Amanda George

• Stories 4 Children
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 12:45:34 PM »
It sounds like Tim has been through more in his short life than many others do!  You've got a brave character there!  :)

Offline SkyDoc

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 12:52:03 PM »
As you know, first novels tend to be somewhat autobiographical, and since I actually ran away from home to New Orleans, lied about my age and joined the Coast Guard at the tender age of 14, my novel started as a fictionalized autobiography that soon took on a life of its own, becoming a Coast Guard story. It was almost as much fun to write as it was to live a good portion of it.

Jim

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 01:03:41 PM »
Hi Jim - nice to meet you. :D Sounds like you're having a ball.The usual newcomer stuff to follow - just as a reminder. ;D ;D ;D

If you check the link below it should help you to familiarise yourself with how things operate around here.

http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=7415.0

You'll find other Blue stick-pin (Stickies) at the top of the various boards to help you learn the ropes and make your time here more productive and enjoyable.

Don't forget to read and comment/critique on other members’ work before you ask the same from them.

The moderators are easy to spot due to all the blue stars floating above our heads. If you have a problem, we are happy to help in any way we can.  ;) ;) ;)

510bhan
Global Moderator

Offline Amanda George

• Stories 4 Children
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 01:31:52 PM »
As you know, first novels tend to be somewhat autobiographical, and since I actually ran away from home to New Orleans, lied about my age and joined the Coast Guard at the tender age of 14, my novel started as a fictionalized autobiography that soon took on a life of its own, becoming a Coast Guard story. It was almost as much fun to write as it was to live a good portion of it.

Jim

In that case you are a very brave man, Jim!  I ran away from home but only got to the next village before deciding to go home so you have got a lot of guts IMHO!

Offline SkyDoc

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 01:49:20 PM »
Amanda,

Don't you know that all teenagers think they're ten feet tall and bullet proof? Thank God I outgrew that! My parents went through a bitter divorce and as an only child naturally I thought it was all my fault. I retreated to the sanctuary of books. I read Moby Dick in the fourth grade. Melville's classic opening line, "Call me Ishmael . . . " As you know Melville was a master in the use of the metaphor. Ishmael is from the Bible--in Melville's time (mid-1850's) the Bible was/is a best seller. I'm sure you know the story that Ishmael was the bastard son of the king and a slave girl. The jealous queen had Ishmael and his mother banished to the desert. Thus Ishmael became the symbol of outcasts and orphans. Even early on I was well aware of the symbolism as I left home to make my way in the world. Also notice that the line is "Call me Ishmael" not my name is Ishmael. We never know who the narrator is. Melville planned it that way. I certainly identified with Ishmael at fourteen. Later I would identify with Billy Budd.

Jim   

Offline BBBlogger

• ~Like a dog with a bone~
    • All By Myself
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 03:02:36 PM »
Welcome, Jim! :)

Offline Alice, a Country Gal

• http://www.writestreet.com/writestree
  • Hello from Texas
    • Alice's Hide Away
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 03:08:24 PM »
Jim, it's great to see you back again - not to mention, apparently on dry land also unless you choose to go boating into non dangerous waters this time.  ;)

Also good to know you're still writing and apparently beginning to work on, or at least creating a plan to promote your work.

Best of luck all around and don't be a stranger here now.

Smiles,
Alice   
MWC Charity Publications.
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight>
The universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser, poet and activist (15 Dec 1913-1980)

R. L. Copple's: http://www.rlcopple.com/

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
-Mohandas K. Gandhi