Author Topic: You gotta print this out for future ref.  (Read 1257 times)

Lin

You gotta print this out for future ref.
« on: April 18, 2011, 01:22:06 PM »
I found this today and thought I have to put it on the Circle.  You most certainly will need it one day.

http://www.writersrelief.com/blog/2009/11/nine-questions-to-ask-a-literary-agent/

Linx
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:17:32 PM by Orangutansaver »

Offline islandwriter

• Island Writer
Re: You gotta print this out for future ref.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 03:10:19 PM »
Thanks, printed and in my info file for reference!

Dave
Islandwriter
Diploma holding copywriter

Offline WoodridgeNZ

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 07:19:42 AM »
Thanks for sharing, Lin. Saved for future reference.
K

Offline eric

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 11:23:33 AM »
Writers should think long and hard about asking an agent who offers to represent them nine questions to see if they're up to snuff.  I would personally not query any agent I was not already satisfied with.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:46:15 AM by eric »

Lin

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 02:12:51 PM »
But Eric you might like to tell us how you know that agent is Okay in the first place.  What is your strategy for finding this out?

Would this be useful?  - http://www.writersrelief.com/blog/2009/03/top-reasons-to-query-agents-first/

Lin x
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 02:15:37 PM by Orangutansaver »

Offline eric

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 06:50:30 PM »
I would research, Lin, however I could.  Surprising the number of things one can find out that way.  You should be able to find out an agent's genre and commission rate that way, at least.  Also the years of experience of the particular agent.  The term will be in the contract.

Some agents give you a question-answer time before you sign the contract, but a set of nine often rhetorical questions seems to be stretching it a bit far.  I would think an agent would wonder why you're wasting their time with a query if you haven't at least found out something about them first.

By the way, it also seems counter-productive to worry about what one will say when the agent supposedly offers one a contract, when the book has yet even to be finished.  

Recall that only about 1% of completed manuscripts are accepted by agents on average, and we can assume that a small percentage of works in progress become completed manuscripts.  See for example "So You Want to Write a Novel" on this board.  Suppose 5% of ongoing manuscripts are finished, in general.  Yours might be one of those, but that would mean that 5 ten-thousandths of novels now in progress will ultimately see their way to an agent.  Those are steep odds.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:28:40 PM by eric »

Lin

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 05:05:22 AM »
...And after all this nothing is ever certain is it?  We can only do our best.  BTW I submitted yesterday to a publisher! Not all publishers want to go through an agent and this is a bona fide publishing house
Lin x
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 05:14:21 AM by Orangutansaver »