Author Topic: Men behaving sadly cliche By Lin  (Read 3865 times)

Lin

Men behaving sadly cliche By Lin
« on: December 22, 2005, 10:40:58 AM »
> And as Lin finished her novel she had reached he goal of 100K words and sat back and cried, thinking that life had been bad to her and now the fantasy had become a reality. The
> emotion and the heartache all came flooding back, she had made the
> final frontier. She got out the tissues and sobbed her heart out, knowing
> that her husband didn’t understand what it was like to be a writer.   He
> came home from work without joy and asked her ‘Have you got the dinner
> on dear? I’m shattered’
>
> Enthusiastically she said ‘Darling Ive reached the 100K mark today, isn’t that wonderful?’
>
> Unnerved by this news he replied ‘mmm that’s nice, where’s my dinner?’
>
> She was still in ectasy, or was that a drug she had taken, she wasn’t
> sure,  and then she read it all back and went back to the computer to live on the Isles of
> Scilly for a week and floated away on a ferry to Tresco with her
> Norwegian lover. She knew she would get satisfaction from him, he
> understood her hobby of birdwatching and they would sail away into the
> setting sun and watch birds forever.  She made love to him and left her husband eating his
> dinner hoping he wouldn’t enjoy it.
>
> They all  lived happily ever after.

Offline Wigglyworm

Re: Men behaving sadly cliche By Lin
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 03:08:47 PM »
Hmmm.... Lin,

I've one just like that.   :'(

Whenever I talk about my writing he either has a pained look or he has a completely blank face.  I prefer the pained look as then at least I know he's listening, with the blank face?  He's thinking about football.

Sorry for the short note, he's hungry!

Worm.
If you can't be a sun, don't be a cloud.

Offline CallyW

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 06:08:00 PM »
My t'other half is the opposite.  He's always going on that I don't write enough. 

Conversation we had last Sunday afternoon:

Him - Are you going to do some writing?

Me - No, I'm going round your brother's to watch the football.

We ended up all going round and I spent the first half explaining the rules to him and trying to get the kids to be quiet.  This was the Burton v Man U match.  He is not allowed to watch the replay - not with me anyway. 

Offline tigger

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 11:06:19 AM »
The element I find sad, is that writing is not the only thing they (husbands) don't understand about us.  ::) :-\

On the other side of the coin, that's also the element I find exciting!

:);)

Offline Mini

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 07:43:41 AM »
My Hubby never asks about my writing.
He never took it seriously, until he crashed the computer and thought he'd lost all my work.
I watched on silently as he spent hours and hours retreiving it (he's a computer nerd, so he was in heaven.)
But he couldn't get it all off  the rotten hardrive.
Guilt drove him to make it up to me, and he went out bought me a laptop, and (another) memory stick, so now I have my very own tool for writing.

However, had he ever asked he'd have known that I generally back up most of my work!! He had told me to back up everything that is important, and I had listened.

Oops,

What's the old saying, "Ignorance is bliss" .... his ignorance, my bliss!

Mini

Lin

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 01:18:47 PM »
Mini the Minx Eh? 

Lin

Offline Lieutenant Dan

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 03:44:17 PM »
I loved this post!  Lin, I got a great smile and chuckle from the way you wrote that.  :)

I feel I may be at some risk posting in this thread, being a man, but I'd like to say that I DO understand what you all are talking about.

My big love for a hobby is music; I'm a hobbyist musician and very much love to compose and record my own music (www.ampcast.com/entrylevel , if you dare listen  ;)  ).   My ex-wife was neither really here nor there on the matter, so when I would lay down some track that I had been going crazy over and play it proudly for her, face beaming, I would often get "Yeah...it's pretty good," and then she'd walk back out to the living room  :D  So, I'm kind of left there frozen in place with my arms outstreched and a "What do you think? Isn't it brilliant?" look on my face, and get a polite "Yeah....it's pretty good."  Haha! 

My new, permanent bride is VERY guilt-ridden that when I moved cross-country to be with her I wound up having to sell off all of my equipment to make ends meet when we had some lean times.  She's VERY supportive of me doing music...one day in the next couple of years I'll be able to round up the funds (and space) to get back into music again. 

It's always much more fulfilling and exciting as an artist to have a high level of support and appreciation for your work from your sig. other, no doubt!

Lin

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 03:34:07 AM »
Thanks Dan, my hubby is really very nice and supportive, but not as extrovert as me!!   Emotion is something for women!

Have a nice week end

Lin

Offline Mini

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 04:22:55 AM »
Mini the Minx Eh? 

Lin

Oooh, very complimentary! I like that.

But .... 

Nah,  just been married for too long!!!!!!

Mini

Offline Lieutenant Dan

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 12:02:17 PM »
Thanks Dan, my hubby is really very nice and supportive, but not as extrovert as me!!   Emotion is something for women!

Have a nice week end

Lin

Ooo..I may have to take umbrage with that!  :)  I just finished watching "Phenomenon" and cried my eyes out!  I'm a big teddy bear.