Author Topic: Writing Coach  (Read 3773 times)

Offline gub2000

• There's always nest year
Writing Coach
« on: January 26, 2006, 12:36:58 PM »
Have any of you used a writing coach?

A friend of mine uses one and he swears by her. He said it's nice to someone to keep him focused. Writers are the world's best procrastinators. We are also the harshest self critics. He likes having a dedicated person reviewing his work.

I'm curious if any of you have used one and if you felt it was worth the expense.

gub2000
Don't ever ever give up - Winston Churchill

www.TheBestofYouTube.com - editor

Jayel

Re: Writing Coach
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 02:03:36 PM »
I also have a friend who swears by hers. 

If you are someone who has trouble with self-motivation, procrastination, or are just more comfortable bouncing ideas off of another in the business, I think a writing coach can be a real benefit.  My artist and editor take the place of a writing coach for me - both are constantly peeking in to see if I am on task and getting the work ready for them. They are also there to give me the lecture I need when I approach DEFCON 1 on the self-criticism scale.

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 02:36:48 PM »
DEFCON 1 on the self-criticism scale.

Love that!

Jayel

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 08:34:29 PM »
*laughs at Symphony's post* What can I say? I always tell the truth.

Offline tigger

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 05:32:19 PM »
I never thought of a writing coach, although I had a co-worker reading my 'romance novel' while I was writing it; and her enthusiasm and desire to have more to read (she would ask me everyday if I had written anything else) kept me dedicated and excited about the project.

This is an interesting consideration.

Hmmm... :)

The only other time I had a vibrant writing streak (thousands of words in 10 days) I was trying to meet a deadline for a competition... I didn't finish what I started though, work got in the way.

Where does one get a writing coach anyway??????

tigger

Offline gub2000

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 12:28:00 AM »

tigger,

You are lucky to have a reader waiting with baited breath for your work. Good for you!!

Based on my friend's experience, a writing coach is part editor, part cheerleader and part drill sergeant. From what I've found on the web, most coaches are pro or semi-pro writers or editors. They got into coaching to help other writers and to supplement their income.

Just Google 'writing coach' to search for one.

gub2000

Offline tigger

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 09:30:18 PM »
It was only one person...

But, I like the idea of a cheerleader. Sometimes I think that is exactly what I need. :)

:);)

Thanks for responding...
:)

Offline WritersWrite

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 10:32:59 AM »
Well, I actually am a writing coach!  ;D

I am currently working with clients who are working on projects as diverse as: a big budget Hollywood historical drama, a chic lit novel, a murder mystery series book series and a BBC television series.

All coaches come from different backgrounds and professions and for the most part should have a wealth of training under their belt when it comes to personal development. Most good coaches are not just there to provide a push or shoulder when needed they actually help people conquer their inner blocks which could be preventing them from reaching their real potential.

There are many ways to do this but I use a variety of coaching techniques combined with NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) Timeline Therapy, and a whole range of other creativity unblocking techniques. My process helps people release their creative potential without all the self critical baggage that plague most artists.  It's a powerful process and can unlock a lot of inner barriers, which previously have held people back.

I run weekend workshops in this area and offer delegates discounted rates for coaching sessions.

Hope that helps answer some questions

Offline pete_dog

• My Writing Site
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 11:47:03 AM »
This is an interesting topic.  I would certainly benefit from a writing coach - my fiancee acts as my informal task-master, mainly in making me feel guilty when I've not written anything for a while   :-[  Otherwise, I find it far too easy to just procrastinate or whatever, I suspect part of the problem is being too flighty and going off in about 50 directions at once and so never really concentrating on getting one thing finished.

WritersWrite's post intigues me - how does one get to become a writing coach?

"Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

http://igg.me/at/the-infernal-aether/x/6432405

http://peteoxleywriter.wordpress.com/

http://wattpad.com/Pete_Oxley

www.peterdoxley.co.uk

Offline WritersWrite

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 12:46:20 PM »
People who are close to us can often be masters at deflating the creative process (often without meaning to or realising their impact) Any creative venture can be a vulnerable process and to be successful we need encouragement and support but putting success strategies in place is also a hugely valuable aspect which is often overlooked. I champion anyone who adds coaching to his or her writing life.

There are as many ways to become a coach, as there are countries on this earth. Some coaches are professional writers editors etc who decide to 'mentor' others by sharing their wisdom from having done it themselves. Not all writing coaches who fall into this category have taken coach training they just impart their valuable first hand knowledge to help others on their way.

Other coaches have trained specifically in the fields of peak performance by utilising tried and tested techniques to unlock potential, tackle limited thinking, increase esteem and realise true potential.  This is the field I fall into (but I do draw from a wealth of experience specific to writers. One of my specialities is working with creative professionals - I seem to be attracting more writers than anything!) Mine is a more a psychological process to help discover why you are your own worst critique and how you can shift your thinking to more empowering inner dialogue.

Very powerful stuff!   

There are countless courses on Coaching, NLP, TFT (Thought Field Therapy) and Timeline but I suggest taking a ‘buyer beware’ approach in your research, like anything, not all courses are worth the paper the certificate is printed on and some can be really expensive for no good reason.

hope that helps

Offline aellaholcomb

To have coach or not
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 10:11:25 PM »
Interesting the interest generated.

I always thought coaches were for loosers. God, was I mean thirty year old person. But I also managed to never quite get my writing off the ground despite some favorable efforts and feedback and publication.
     I started with a coach two years ago, the first year was really here there and younder, mostly support. lNow I'm almost through first draft of novel. I have benefited enormously.
     I think it's several issues: one, me taking me seriously enough to hire a "trainer" to help me get in shape; 2) Finding the right coach, I had some \free mentoring in Eric Maisel's group things and I hated hated them. Each time I was far more knowledgeable than the trainee coaches.
    I've taken so many writing courses. I never had one so supportative as coach. She and I just clicked. It's a lot of things. Same humor; same age; same political leanings and dismays; and same history of ten thousand years in therapy, bla, bla. I think it's the connection, suupport, and of course, someone who has done it; written her/his novel/stories/been there, done it. Maybe someone who hadn't been there could help, but I think at the stage I'm at and the experience I've had and limited success, I need someone who has published a novel. But, hey, maybe not. I just know we clicked and I trust her implicitly and it like having someone who is waiting to hear what happens to my characters.
         Cheers for coaches. I think I'd like to do it. Breaking all my rules, no not really. I'd need to work with real beginning beginners where I was far enough ahead to help. I'm a therapist to make my living, so I think I could do it, but never marketed myself in that way.
         Most of all the coach has to be smart and honest, honest, honest. Aella

Offline gub2000

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 02:05:26 AM »
WritersWrite,

I have a follow up question for you. Since you are a coach, what are your suggestions for screening for a coach? If you Google "Writing Coach" you get a zillion responses.

Thanks,

gub2000

Offline WritersWrite

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 10:57:00 AM »
There are loads of criteria to look out for. I actually have a document for this very purpose but am not in my office at the mo to copy and paste content so I shall do it later for you.

Watch this space...

;D

Offline aellaholcomb

Screening writing coach
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 05:38:09 PM »
Hi,
This wasn't addressed to me, but I have some ideas, since I have tried so many "teachers." And all before did nada.

The timing has to be right. You really have to be ready to commit the time and money and jump in.

You should do a couple of sessions with coach and see if s/he seems to "get" where you are/who you are/what you want/and be able to go to that place with useful questions/stimulus responses/and be encouraging l0000 times more than critical.

I think s/he should have logged a lot of writing miles her/himself and be really familiar with the game/nature/process.
Some people write for the process of becoming/for family/for posterity and some for publilcation.
Some are into mysteries other more experimental or literary.

I think I would find it hard to relate to coach who wasn't on my same page.

I think you have to risk a little in sharing your fears/hopes/etc. and see the response. Then go with your gut.
I agree the number of people out saying I'm a writing coach is intimidating.

I went through an online course with mine before "signing on" for an experimental month's work. I was very dubious and hesitant and testing her like allhell.
I never thought I would spend money for this; I am not rich; so I want my money's worth.
Well, for what it's worth. Aella