Author Topic: Backwards and onward  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Milysmic

• My boy
Backwards and onward
« on: July 31, 2006, 04:19:49 PM »
 Hey Everyone,
                 I'm working on a novel and just to get it out I wrote the ending way before I was even close to that part. All of my friends loved it. And I began to write it from that point back. Now has anyone else done this and if you have how did it turn out? Do any of you see a problem that might occur from writing this way?
                                                           Milysmic
Milysmic

OzMac

Re: Backwards and onward
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 04:28:12 PM »
I'd guess many writers work in this fashion, if only by having an ending in mind.  The good thing is you have a clear direction of where you are heading and can have fun along the way.  The bad thing could be that you are setting yourself restrictions, but then your ending might always change by the time you finish the story  ;)

Offline "lorraineofkeli"

• The World Is Yours!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 04:40:22 PM »
I agree with Alfie. Very good thing: You know where you're going and you don't have to worry about the ending anymore!   However, I think you might find that your ending will change once you work backwards.  It's still not a bad thing though, because it gives you the motivation to write in order to get there.  Maybe even your ending will become even better as a result!  I'd say run with it and see where it takes you.

Offline Pieinsky

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 05:00:16 PM »
I donít think such time traveling is going to curtail your novel ability to do well. In my long story or the one I want to be a novel one-day, I have all the dramatic corner sigh moments that lead the characters on a new trail ingrained in my head.
 However a great deal of the canvas still has white patches. I have only just started. I donít think that in this case going over oneís footprints is a major problem. Itís better not to meander when writing your story. Have some solid destinations. Then fill in the gaps with plot cement.

Offline wileygrrl

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 05:48:46 PM »
 Milysmic.

I am working on my first novel. I too wrote the end early on. Actually, what i have been doing is writing "scenes". When i think of something that i want to happen, i write it then i plug it in when and where it seems to fit.  They do the same thing in movies i am told. A movie isn't filmed from beginning to end.

So far, i have the first ten chapters written and about 20 or so scenes written. Many times, when i get to a chapter, i just have to pull scenes together and the chapter is done.

It may not be the "right" way to do it but it has worked so far. there are just times where i feel inspired to write a scene and everything flows.

Anyway, i have questioned myself as you have. i think it's whatever works.
Find a career you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

I don't work. I write.
                   Jennifer Elizabeth McDonald

Offline Jackster

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 09:49:48 PM »
Wileygirl,

I don't think any of us can say a certain approach, method, or technique of writing a work is right or wrong - it's what works for you (or me, or anyone else).  I've tried several approaches, and right now I am rewriting my first draft and find myself writing sections, sometimes snippets of parts of chapters.  Later I will determine what I need, and then what needs to go where.  Writing is a journey and it doesn't matter how you get to your destination, as long as you get there.

As for having the ending, I for one like to know where I'm going and in my opinion, the ideal approach is to have A and Z, then fill in B . . . Y.

Jackster.

Footnote

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 09:57:19 PM »
when i first had to write lengthy pieces of writing for classes instead of my usual 5 paragraph essays, i found it difficult to piece my ideas together and to keep focused. so what i started doing was every time i thought of something, i wrote it down. eventually, my stories were sewn together. everything i've written (with any length to it) has been patched together from random thoughts, quotes, and ideas. whatever method you find that works for you is the way to go. i found that while i was working on a story, one of my friends, family, or even something someone said on TV was something one of my characters would say. i'd write it down and fit it in where i could in my story. i'm unable to sit down and write a story of any kind from start to finish in order.