Author Topic: Needing outlining help  (Read 2576 times)

Offline mary

• Me and my therapy dog, Woof
Needing outlining help
« on: January 25, 2006, 01:15:05 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to outline a story that has a handful of protagonists, society as antagonist, a mentor, and (I hope) a most surprising ending? all suggestions welcome. My head is buzzing with this story and I can't seem to get a good hold on the telling sequences.  :-\ mary

robert1704

Re: Needing outlining help
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 02:04:21 PM »
Hi Mary,

Your indications are rather vague. Can you give some more details of what you really want.
What kind of people are the protagonists? In what way do they have troubles with society? Injustice?
What kind of story do you want? A thriller or a social drama.
I suppose you have already some ideas. Please give us some more clues, that would be helpful to give you a start.

Robert
http://www.westernfreedom.com

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 05:01:21 PM »
Mary,

It might sound like I'm snatching at an opportunity to promote Nick's course - but I'm not! Then again ... this sounds like exactly the kind of help you need! You don't HAVE to write your entire novel in 28 days, you know? But it's fantastic for exactly what you're talking about - planning/sorting/getting your head around your ideas/getting to know those new characters ...

What you need is STRUCTURE - and that's what the course is all about. It can be overwhelming when you have these fab ideas to get working on and you don't know where to start or which bit to write first or, or, or (been there, done that, can you tell?) Most importantly, though - don't LOSE any of those thoughts - make sure they're all scribbled down in notebooks, on beer mats, whatever ... There's nothing worse than literally 'losing' a thread!!

Best of luck - I'm sure there are others who can advise you better - I'm not very good at writing anything with more than about 1000 words in it!!!

Symphony

Offline mary

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 09:38:23 PM »
Thanks Robert

Your questions are greatly helpful. I'm thinking I need about 12-14 protagonists (Some won't make it to the end) in the age range of early teen, and then through adulthood. YEP! "social dramma"  hoo hoo!!  yep that's it!!  social drama but woven through and through with fantasy. I'm playing with a budding idea of outlining the characters with their respective situations, respective intro to the mentor, events with outcomes, and GRAND FINALLY. I have to print this out!! I love you Robert - you lit my fire!! Oh, yeah, guess I'll have to write the grabber 1st chapter last. Bye. gotta go write. mary

Offline mary

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 09:42:42 PM »
Hi Sympnony,

Thanks for the shove. Nicks course does help and I'm now getting some fuel with the HERO stuff. gotta go write. mary