Author Topic: Main character's likeability  (Read 7541 times)

Offline Sara-Rose

Re: Main character's likeability
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 11:17:20 AM »
Couple of follow-up points I would like to make to the main character likeability question.

First, in the original thread Lorraineofkeli used the term “psychopathic serial killer” to describe the protagonist. (How many of you noticed that?)  Let it be understood that a “murder” and a “serial killer” is NOT mentally or emotionally the same person.  We all have the capacity to become murders if properly motivated (by lust, passion or greed) or if threatened (self-preservation or protection of love ones).  However, a “serial killer” is a different animal.  It seems from the posting above that these two psychological entities are being confused.  There is no stretch to the readers’ imagination to make a murder a likeable main character, but I dare you to try it with a SERIAL KILLER.

Secondly, for all of you don’t think a main character has to be likeable or at least sympathetic, try getting the interest of a publisher who has to mass market your manuscript and see what kind of response you get.  I hope you take rejection well.

Failure is an opportunity to start again more intelligently – Henry Ford

Dave Driver

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 03:59:04 PM »
If you didn`t intend to make the main character likeable then don`t,stick with it.Let`s face it people like to be scared and shocked.Everyone has a dark side, some don`t admit it.You wouldn`t invite Hannibal Lector round for tea and scones with grandma,but hey! we all "loved"him.

Go for it!

Regards

Dave

Offline oliver

• Abandoned children often live with their parents
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 04:51:20 PM »
I think you are on safe ground. I don't recall Hannibal Lecter being liked or admired.

Oliver
Where there is kindness to animals, everything else may be taken for granted.
Judge a person's character by how they treat animals and how that person will treat those who can do nothing for them.

Offline Sara-Rose

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 05:14:13 PM »
In "Silence Of The Lamb" by Thomas Harris, the protagonist is FBI trainee agent Clarice Starling.  The antagonists are serial killers Buffalo Bill and Hannibal Lecter.

Thank you Dave for referring to this book; it supports the suggestion I made at the beginning of this thread.  And as you can see Oliver, Hannibal was not the main character - contrary to Anthony Hopkin's super preformance in the movie.
Failure is an opportunity to start again more intelligently – Henry Ford

Dave Driver

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 04:00:04 PM »
I never said Lector was the main character just used him as an example.

And Oliver I did use loved in inverted commas.

Just like we all "loved" Darth Vader,Dracula,Ming the Merciless,Sweeney Todd and The Wicked Witch of the West!! or was it east (the one that the house didn`t land on.

Offline custard

• i wonder if they've noticed my wig?
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 05:39:33 PM »
SARA_ROSE, you said, that a serial killer couldn't be likeable, so i'll give you an example of how i would get affection or at least compassion for a serial killer.

if my child was attacked and killed ( i won't go into detail but you get what i mean ). i decide that every peopdophile should die, so i go out and become a vigilante, killing a multiple number of these types. To the police i would be a serial killer, to others i would be a hero, or at least they could understand my reasons. I believe psycotic behaviour can be aroused in any of us, it just takes a number of extreme circumstances to occur in our lives.

that's why i made the point about  "what is right or wrong", as i see these are the areas that could be manipulated.