Author Topic: intro to a shakespere parody  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Susynoid

intro to a shakespere parody
« on: February 26, 2011, 11:23:48 PM »
I dont have the entire play thought out but i do have a bit of the introduction it is mocking hamlet with his idea of the ghost of the old king at the begining.

Ghost- I cannot hold my universally open tongue as my excitement exceeds my control. My name is ghost nothing less nothing more. I am no king a queen nor a twin of another, I am not a love sick teen comparing thee. Friends Romans countrymen! What light through yonder window breaks! What an ass am I! These were wonderful words made from thrilling plays. But this work is not from the artist you are thinking of oh no no. This is from someone much greater now enough talking enjoy

Offline Butterfly21

• Dreaming big isn't a waste of time.
Re: intro to a shakespere parody
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 01:34:07 AM »
it sounds alright although i haven't read much Shakespere
you call it a parody so i take it its like some comedic spoof
i didn't get reli a comedic sense at all but i haven't read much Shakespere

Offline Maimi

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 12:16:48 PM »
Hello Susyniod,

I'm not sure if you're soliciting feedback on the idea or other areas. Nevertheless, you certainly have a pool of interesting characters to use as inspiration. :)

I stumbled a bit through the punctuation. Below is a comma usage thread you might find helpful. I keep it and a few punctuation books on hand when wrestling with the beast. :D

http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=20293.30
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:18:27 PM by Maimi »

Offline PoloniumCyanide

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 09:32:24 AM »
Hello there,

The idea definitely has potential to be a real gem, but there's not really enough here yet to get a sense of it.  This doesn't matter so much, as the problem will most likely resolve itself when you develop the idea  more. Here are some things you might want to consider when fleshing out your script, I hope you find these helpful:

1. Shakespeare wrote at least 37 plays, so it would be very hard to parody each individual one in the allotted time of a play. You might want to pick a few and concentrate on those.

2. With Shakespeare, people who haven't even read it have certain expectations of what it will be like, so you might want to think about whether you actually need to use all those quotes in the first speech or whether you can just parody the style and allude to Shakespeare.

3.It might be useful to study Shakespeare thoroughly in terms of literally every convention,(style, themes, characterisation, plot, subplot, morality, dialogue, imagery, performance)  then figure out how you can imitate it and make it funny.

Overall, I think this is a positive start, and with research and time it will be an entertaining piece of work.

Good luck and kind regards.

Offline Kiryana

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 09:07:47 PM »
I agree with Polo. There isn't a whole lot to go on here. There are lots of great ideas hanging around in peoples heads but you have to put them to paper (or digital 1's and 0's) for people to see how great it is. I think if you get a little more of your idea put down and throw it up here you can get some really good feedback. Looking forward to seeing what you have coming in the future.
Kir
"Whether we bring our enemies to justice, or justice to our enemies, justice will be done."