Author Topic: "Greatest Ever Novel"  (Read 13641 times)

Offline rasbull

Re: "Greatest Ever Novel"
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 12:35:36 PM »
Firstly I would like to thank Nick for pointing out the problem of someone pulling out at such a late stage would represent. I would like to correct one thing though. The works are up to 1000 words in length. It was felt that 500 was not enough for the writers to demonstrate their talents and creativity. This has been changed from the origional idea.

I would also like to point out that the wording has now been changed on the site.

www.worldsgreatestnovel.com is not interested in stealing, obtaining other people's work or hijacking someone else's ideas.
We just want to create a novel that is written by a hundred or so writers and see what we come up with.

The idea is fun, it is free to enter and you can have a bit of fun seeing if your work is considered good enough by our forum readers.

We feel this has been blown way out of proportion and hopefully this statement and the rewording of the policies has drawn a line under this topic.

However, we are still looking for submissions into the World's Greatest Novel. We currently have 15 selected works from 383 entries, so we have another 35 spaces left on the 1st shortlist.

Good luck and thanks for any support we receive from people reading this site.

Rememeber this is about having a little fun.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 12:43:40 PM by rasbull »

Offline Writers Block

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2006, 04:17:54 PM »
Hi

I have read your response and the changes to your Policies.

I think what you offer is a very interesting opportunity/idea

I can completely understand why contributors relinquish copyright to material included in the finished published work.

I will perhaps now reconsider entering. ;D

I tend to critique in a harsh manner. Please remember it is not personal, but how I prefer anyone critiqueing me to be. It is far more useful IMO.

WB

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Offline cheryl-wright

• Writer2Writer
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2006, 09:02:27 PM »
So glad to see the changes to the website.  It was so easy, wasn't it Richard.  Take out the nasty bits and everyone is happy.   ;)

Cheryl

Offline Writers Block

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 08:00:16 AM »
Hihi

Maybe I shot myself in the foot, just a rejection of my piece, of course I'm sure the queries I sent with my work didn't help, nor did my condition superseeding theirs.

Still it was sad to receive a rejection, but now I'm left wondering if my work was considered poor, or it was the questions that put them off.

I would still do the same again though.

I've considered posting it here, I did, but deleted it after about one minute.  Not sure yet. ;D

WB
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 08:10:27 AM by Writers Block »
I tend to critique in a harsh manner. Please remember it is not personal, but how I prefer anyone critiqueing me to be. It is far more useful IMO.

WB

Offline cheryl-wright

• Writer2Writer
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2006, 07:03:21 PM »
Hihi

Maybe I shot myself in the foot, just a rejection of my piece, of course I'm sure the queries I sent with my work didn't help, nor did my condition superseeding theirs.

Still it was sad to receive a rejection, but now I'm left wondering if my work was considered poor, or it was the questions that put them off.

I'd hazard a guess and say it was the latter, but of course I don't know.   :-\ Vindictiveness should not come into play when considering someone's work.

Professionalism should always be in the editor's mind.

Cheryl

Offline Writers Block

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2006, 10:24:13 PM »
Very true, but how many of us can honestly say we have never done such a thing, not many I suspect.

Of course Sheryl, it's very nice of you to presume my work was good. :P

WB

Offline cheryl-wright

• Writer2Writer
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2006, 12:04:30 AM »
Very true, but how many of us can honestly say we have never done such a thing, not many I suspect.

Of course Sheryl, it's very nice of you to presume my work was good. :P

Maybe I'm unusual, but I prefer to read the content than to see who it's from.   When I have to reject work, I prefer to give reasons and often coach the writer until their work is acceptable. That's not always possible of course due to time restraints, but I do it when I can.  (Also giving them the opportunity to resubmit.)

And I always presume work is good.  I assume it wouldn't get submitted otherwise.   ;D

Cheryl

Offline rasbull

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2006, 03:12:04 AM »
The work was judged on the same terms as all other entries. We would be very foolish to turn away a good piece just to spite someone.

We want to make a great novel, therefore it would be very detrimental to turn away any entry for any other reason than not meeting the required level.

Please bare in mind 457 entries have been submitted and only 15 have been selected.
This equates to just a 3.2% success rate for all submissions.

Please feel free to submit again.

Offline cheryl-wright

• Writer2Writer
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2006, 03:15:41 AM »
The work was judged on the same terms as all other entries. We would be very foolish to turn away a good piece just to spite someone.

We want to make a great novel, therefore it would be very detrimental to turn away any entry for any other reason than not meeting the required level.

Please bare in mind 457 entries have been submitted and only 15 have been selected.
This equates to just a 3.2% success rate for all submissions.

Please feel free to submit again.

Very glad to hear it.

Cheryl

Offline Writers Block

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2006, 07:59:47 AM »
So am I

However, some of the enteries I think are very good indeed. A couple I consider much less than good.  But as ever, it is personal choice and opinion.

And to be honest, you could post nothing else here and no matter what you say, some will doubt you, others not.

I don't see any reason to send any other entries though, I didn't receive a response to my questions in the email.  As I wouldn't submit work without those questions being answered it seems pointless.

But I wish you good luck with the project, the contributers deserve to get something out of it.

WB

Offline Writers Block

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2006, 04:25:35 AM »
Hi

I have managed to get the piece I wrote looked at by a published writer and critic.

This person was harsh but fair in my opinion, so I can hold my hands in the air and say 'rasbull was completely correct to reject it'.

But the feedback I received from the person about my writing was incredibly useful.

I have no plans for the piece as it was different to what I had tried previously, but I imagine I will have at some stage in the future.

WB

WB