Author Topic: When do you find it best to write??  (Read 8395 times)

DwWin

Re: When do you find it best to write??
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2006, 10:18:46 AM »
I "jot" things down in my notebook whenever somthoing comes to mind or inspires me in some way. I spend quite a bit of time writing during the day (mainly emails, technical documents etc.) but I will take whatever window of oppertunity comes my way to write for myself, I feel I've still got a long way to go before I can write for other people.

Jink

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2006, 01:22:19 AM »
Using a PDA and a mini keyboard, I can get a paragraph or two in when/where ever.  I'm also experimenting with getting up at 2am (in bed at 10 with the kids) and cranking out 90 minutes to a couple hours, and then back to bed.  Makes a more surrealistic mindset!

Jink

Offline Writers Block

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2006, 04:32:47 AM »
Im afraid Im a multi tasker!!   I do a bit of writing then come back to it and in this respect I find errors which looked perfectly correct when I wrote them in the first place!! 

I write throughout the day as I have no disturbances, no-one phones, I have no visitors, I dont go out much - Oh boy what a sad life!!!

Well, Im a bit of a loner anyway and enjoy the solitude for writing,  its ideal.  Winter is excellent for writing but I have to add a health warning here - you gotta go to the gym and keep fit.   Sitting for two or more hours per day isnt good for your back!!

My hospital has informed me that I should write for half an hour - stand up, walk around make a cup of tea and come back to it.  Well having done this for the last three weeks - its actually improved my writing - I can see errors I made on the previous half hour.    Its the 'Other" author in me which nitpicks the mistakes when I take short breaks.   Im now going to a special kind of fitness programme at the hospital and I now have to multi task to keep my back from giving me Jip!!   Did someone mention old age creeping on??

Lin

Another thing to ensure, make sure posture ais good, rsi is a real risk.

Also for your ryes sake, exercise them frequently, find somewhere you can look long distance to stretch the muscles.

I tend to critique in a harsh manner. Please remember it is not personal, but how I prefer anyone critiqueing me to be. It is far more useful IMO.

WB

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Offline Writers Block

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2006, 04:34:29 AM »
I try to get some time set aside daily, a few hours.  It doesn't always work like that, but I am getting better at it.

Yes, very late to very early often seems a good time.

I tend to critique in a harsh manner. Please remember it is not personal, but how I prefer anyone critiqueing me to be. It is far more useful IMO.

WB

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Offline bdboss

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2006, 12:06:04 PM »
I started by being in bed for 3 months. It took me 2.5 years to write my first book. It took me 2.5 months to write my second one - all I had to do in bed was rest, so I wrote for 8-10 hours per day...while on morphine for leg pain. But I did it. Now, I am writing 3 books to be done before Xmas. My job is a foster parent which gives me income and lots of time. And I market myself after each book through a publicist company...radio interviews and newspaper/magazine clips to get my name out there.

I love that I have decided to write for a living. Oh yes, I bought Dan's course on writing a book in 28 days and because of it, my books are outlined and ready for input.

Offline SheWritesRight

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2007, 03:50:02 AM »
HI bdboss

I know this reply is ages since you made your post but I've been off the forum for a while because I've been so busy with my writing. But I just have to say how impressed I am at your determination to write and that you used your injured leg time to your best advantage - sorry about the sore leg though.

I did the 28 day writing course to and it also got me off to a flying start. But I keep getting distracted by every day things like cooking, cleaning, kids and ironing. I usually use lazy days by the pool to get my writing done. just a dip in the water now and again to cool down then I'm off writing again.

But I'm the sort of person who needs long stretches of time to write as I can't just squeeze it in here a there. I can write for days on end once I get going. I wish you well with your books and take care of your legs.
Whenever I'm doing something else, I know I should be writing.
Whenever I'm writing, I know there are other things I should be doing.

Offline Summerwriter

• Just one silly writer
    • Winterwriter writes
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2007, 08:02:29 PM »
When the words come. Whether it is a straight ten hour day or a middle of the night wake up call, I write when the words are there and rest when they are not. I applaud every one of you who has chosen writing as a career and writes around the demands of family and an outside job. You are heroes.

Hello Jayel!
You are like me. I mean...I am that way too. I write when the words are there, and have a break when they aren't. At the moment I am having a looooo'ong break. I think it is this developing program which has set me up on "vacation" mode or something. But...well, at least I try to educate myself by listening a book written by someone else than me.
Best: Summerwriter

My writing blog: http://lucindalynx.blogspot.com

Offline RINKA

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2007, 06:15:56 AM »
Me! i m a morning person i write when the house is empty,thou that rearly happen since my house is always people full. i do most of my writting at weekend, preferably with nature. :D

Offline Wurdsmyth

• A sparkly little optimist in a dark, dark world
    • Miranda's website
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2007, 08:50:29 AM »
I love sitting in a coffee shop with a notebook and a large cappuccino... Even when there are loads of people around, you can get into your own little scribbly world. Sometimes, I jot down ideas that I can work on later, sometimes I doodle, sometimes I just 'people-watch' and make notes on characters I spot - and sometimes I write pages and pages. It all depends on how inspired I am and how many words are in my head at the time!

When the words aren't there, I either edit what I've already written (this helps me to get back into the flow of my writing and often reignites my inspiration) or plan what I will write next (whether that's refining the plot, working up new ideas or creating an overview of work that needs doing).

Hope that helps!

Miranda x
Need a dash of optimism or just a good read? Visit my blog at www.coffeeandroses.blogspot.com
I also have a swanky writing website - oh yes - and you're all invited! Pop over to www.miranda-dickinson.com
GREAT CHRISTMAS PRESSIE: My new novel, A Parcel for Anna Browne, is out now (PanMacmillan) :)

Offline DGSquared

• May the farce be with you.
    • Station Shorts
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2007, 07:25:59 PM »

My best ideas come to me while I'm showering or driving the car. I talk my stories out and then try to copy them to written word. I try to keep a micro-recorder close at hand so I can translate these ideas to paper or to the keyboard before they slip away. As luck would have it, the best ideas seem to come when the batteries are out or I've forgotten my recorder. ???

As far as actual productive writing goes, morning has more clarity but the late night material is much more interesting.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

A child’s life is like a piece of paper on which every passerby leaves a mark. -Chinese proverb

Blondesplosion! ~Deb

Offline Dyslexicon

• Tale-twister !
    • Eye Care Delhi
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2007, 01:35:35 AM »
I'm at my creative best when I'm relaxed (slept well) & at peace with myself. A quite & beautiful place is the best setting (even a nice cafe). And a hot cappuccino only helps lubricate the flow of words.

But did I say I write?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 01:41:32 AM by Dyslexicon »
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*<br />Attitude not aptitude determines altitude !<br /><br />;-)

Offline distil

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2007, 12:05:09 AM »
I write best under pressure.  I have all my research done and then I find 201 reasons and distractions so I can't start.

Time races madly on...finally I start then work day and night frantically trying to get everything done.

My husband has to get his own meals - often he just shouts that a meal is waiting for me.  If he doesn't the other option is to starve when I am working on a book.  Rural living has its advantges - my husband is always here to do what I leave undone in all the tasks I usually do.

I go to bed long after he is asleep and am up before he is awake - and in 2-6 weeks I have all my notes and jottings in order and rewritten and done.  Then I do an index etc and  once it is printed out that is that.

Sometimes I merge two chapters or divide one into two - it all takes time to write in focus with each chapter.   Sometimes I go to bed a 4am and get up again at 7am.  So I write any time.

My notes and jotting mean I have a ton of reference books in the house and my hard drive has sections devoted to each book I am wirking on or have worked on.  Usually I have several books that I do a little on when I find something relevant. 

I keep a notebook in the car so while I wait at mens/boys toys shops [hardware or motor parts or machinery parts] I have something interesting to do.

Life returns to normal again.

Distil

Nelodra

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2007, 04:08:35 AM »
Lately I've been writing mostly late at night - or should I say in the wee hours of the morning?
As a home educating mum, I don't get much me-time during the day - even though the children don't really need me all that much. They do their own things, learning as they go along (we're unschoolers) and I'm really only there to provide them with my support, answer questions, etc. But still - it's not really "me-time".
Only when they've gone to bed - which is rarely before 11 pm - do I get my private time. All to myself. Hubby up in the loft (his little sanctuary), and me downstairs at my computer.
Often I don't make it to bed before 2 am. But I do get a lot of writing done during these wee hours, and I don't really have to get up all that early in the morning, so I'm fine with it.

Offline thatollie

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2007, 02:09:31 PM »
Midday can be more wee than any morning if you've been up all night [especially with vast amounts of coffee].
Never make a decision standing up.