Author Topic: When do you find it best to write??  (Read 8399 times)

Offline swanlen

Re: When do you find it best to write??
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2006, 06:36:55 AM »
Hi, I usually have a pad and pen with me (or close to hand) at all times of the day and night, I sugest keeping a small pad and pen(cil) in your hand bag, coat pocket, or briefcase. When that fantastic piece of inspiration comes, you can write it down....even if it is only a couple of sentences. Then when you find a more appropriate time for you, you can read those sentences and then turn the idea into that award winning novel or article. I do prefer peace and quiet to write as a rule, but if there's something there that has to come out, then I can usually block all else out and get on with it. I enjy being a logodeadalus.

Offline alex

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2006, 11:48:18 AM »
I write in the evening , when back from work, and on sundays/days off.
I recently started to write a diary of all the things I do to advance my writing career(hoping), and got myself Nick's books(How to write..in 28 days and Quick cash writing) .

If any of you write for a living, how did you start??

x alex  ::)

Offline traeva

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 04:22:49 AM »
Interesting to read other people's responses.

My short answer is: all the time - usually at the most inopportune times, like when I'm laying in bed trying to sleep (I keep a notebook by my bed and often scribble in the dark), or when I'm on the subway, but "inspired" writing isn't always the best writing.  Try as I might, I can't concentrate before about 2pm, so I quit trying.  Now I walk my dog, drink coffee, and read in the morning then settle into serious work in the afternoon.

As to how to make a living writing - that is the question that plagues my days.  I can say that the work I do get is generally from people I know - so, network, network, network.

Offline sherri7174

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2006, 06:01:20 PM »
I try to find any time I can between therapy, doctors appointments, tests and games with my three boys to jot down notes or write a few paragraphs down to further my book or ideas on a future book. I am extremely new to this writing and not really sure what possessed me to start writing, but I this story just started unfolding in my head and wouldn't stop so I started writing it all down. By time I was done I had written 67,157 words. I was quite surprised at all I had done, now what to do with it. LOL I started typing in my search engine stumbled across nick Dawson’s 28 day course figured this will defiantly help so I have started that and signed up in  My Writes Circle and have been reading all the wonderful entries from all of you. Sorry for rambeling on. ;D
Thank you for all your wisdom
Sherri

Offline akpolarmom

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2006, 01:50:48 AM »
Well I write mostly after hubby goes off to work at 10:30 pm midnight shift. That is untill about midnight on workdays. Weekends I get to write more and longer.
I first started to write more seriously I was driving a tourist bus, a few years ago. I had a notebook with me and used all my wait time writing, outlining or editing. My favorite place was on top of the bus (open the emergency hatch, climb up and sit legs inside, bottom on the roof, overlooking the beautyful Alaska nature, in the late evening sunlight.)Is it any wonder my novel in the working is set in Alaska?

Akpolarmom
Still in Search of More Tools of the Craft....

Narnian Prince

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2006, 06:54:56 AM »
Hi  everyone and welcome to Sheri7174!  :)

I have to admit I'm a bit of a multitasker as well as procrastinator.  I write at really odd times such as on my breaks at work (I work the midnight shift at Air Canada) and also at weird times on my days off, like today.  My muse is still very much like an unbridled stallion in that she insists on going wild at the most inconvenient of times.  Be it on a bus, looking after guests at a gathering, sleeping, etc.,  she is relentless and merciless.  She's lightning quick also as I have never really caught up with her nor the insanity which she pours into my brain at most inappropriate times.  On my off days when I am home alone I like to get in a couple of hours whereby I will sit for a spell with soft music and a cup of herbal tea but then being the active person I am I have to go for a walk of bike ride.  On these occassions I will always take my voice recorder and it often seems to passersby that I am but a wild man mumbling to myself.

Like Sherri, I'm still a newbie of sorts to this "serious" writing thing as my wife and family have pushed me into it after enduring years of servitude whilst I woke them at very strange and indecent hours with ideas and left inexplicable notes tacked all over.  When my second daughter was born we thought we had collected everything when we  were leaving the hospital.  Until the head nurse came up to us and handed my wife a well batterted old notebook with indecipherable markings all over the pages.  We had a good laugh as she explained that she could translate even the most sanscript fo doctor's prescriptions but my ramblings had her stumped.  When we chose to move to our current abode my wife came across an entire crate filled with books and notes that I had done over the years along with piles of microcassettes from my garblings on the trail.  It was time for an ultimatum.  Do something with them or else.

At that point I gave my muse a good talking to but I'm not sure she bothered to listen.  I have become more disciplined though and am putting more effort into concentrating on what I'm writing.  I find that it has a soothing quality and I do enjoy doing the rewrite after rewrite.  Although I haven't had anything published yet I already know within me that it is going to happen.  I have Nick's cd on Writer's Block and it has been a tremendous help when my muse is off sleeping off a drunk behind a trash heap somewhere.  I've also ordered the Quick Cash Writing and How To Write A Book In 28 Days.  I can't wait to get started on them!

That's about it from me for now.  I would like to ask one question of Mark Stanton.  Mark, where are you from originally and where are you now?  What do you do for a living?  My mother's maiden name is Stanton and I'm just wondering if there is yet another relative, amongst the many, that I have not yet had a chance to catch up with.  My parents reside here in Canada but the Stanton side of the family currently infest  the entire British Isles.  Perhaps we have some things in common?

Anyway, I hope you all havd a truly great day and I'll be back in a while to sumbit something in the review section for your critiques.  It's a very, very raw piece that needs a lot of work but it may end up as part of a romance/mystery novel with a very surprising ending.  I'm thinking of using it as an early chapter in the book although I haven't complete decided yet.  I do want to do children's books with somewhat of a Christian theme to them but my muse and I are arguing bitterly lately like Peter Pan and Tinkerbell over which route I should take.  I hope any of you reading my material with be merciless with your reviews as I know it can only help me to get better.

Have a wonderful day, everyone!  :)

Chris

Offline durangal

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 10:51:22 AM »
I do best if I write in the morning before everyone else is up.  At the end of the day, I've accumulated too much "junk" in my head to concentrate.  A fresh, new day usually can start me off with fresh new ideas.

I was wondering if any of you have ever used a digital recorder, or something similar, to "write."  I heard a couple of you saying you have a couple hours (wow!) on the road to work and wondered if you'd ever tried it.  Talk about maximizing time!

I would love to be able to go for a hike in the woods, walk along a beach, etc., and write while I'm there in the moment.  I've tried it but am a little intimidated by the awkward sense that someone can hear me "talking to myself."  Guess I should just get over it.

Ginny

Narnian Prince

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2006, 11:46:34 AM »
Good afternoon Ginny!  :)

I use a digital recorder and have often caught the stares of those who see me as a rambling "wild man" of sorts.  My advice?  Pity them.  To me they miss the joy of being able to enter another world or even see this one in a more positive way.  They envy writers because they long to have our souls and our experiences through which they may colour their own.  By all means, invest in a digital recorder and also take a pad and many pencils with you on your walks.  You'll be very pleasantly surprised at how much more writing you get done.

Btw, this note was first transcribed via some notes I made whilst walking in a small woods that borders our property.  I delight in watching the robins in hot persuit of the bold faced squirrels that seek their eggs through any form of treachery.  The shrill bark of the rodents when the beak of the robin makes contact with their heads is truly amusing as is their angry, albeit futile, retort as the robin stays safely out of range of any retaliation.  How many of your fellow hikers would even noticed the comic routine in that?

Hope this helps!  :)   Have a great day!  :)

Chris

Offline Moonlighter

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2006, 01:28:43 PM »
I find myself getting to "work" aka "typing on the keyboard", late in the afternoon around 4pm. I disconnect my internet connection and listen to an acoustic audio cd.

I also am creative while taking a stroll around my area. I often take a digital recorder with me to jot down many thoughts and dictate them later...

Offline treacy73

• Not my best pic
    • Crazy4Words
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2006, 03:09:46 PM »
Hello all

Good question.  Well the times depends on the mood I'm in.  Time is one thing I seem to have little off, esp when busy with monsterous children (as a single/Divorced mum) and caring for my mentaly ill mother.  So I write when I can grab time.
~Words are a soul's inspiration~

Offline Ve

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2006, 12:46:57 AM »
I have found I do my best writing after the 11:00 news. Watching the news inspires me in well, need I say weird ways. I've also learnt to carry a microrecorder with me it saves on some really great stuff that might have otherwise been lost forever.

Ve

Offline ellie

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2006, 04:07:58 PM »
Usually late evening, from about 9pm for couple of hours. I sometimes write in the afternoons, especially when it s nice day and Ive been out on one of my country walks and I feel refreshed and ready to go!

I never write in the mornings, as I sometimes have garden jobs to go to then....or its the time I usually catch up on domestic chores!
Happy scribbling ;)
ellie
The cure for boredom is curiosity.There is no cure for curiosity
Oscar Wilde
http://www.goldstarbooks.co.uk/ellie_Bowdery.htm

Offline Jackster

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2006, 10:53:12 AM »
I find my best time to write is in the morning, but occassionally I'll get the bug and write in the evenings.

To Durangal - I use a digital recorder extensively to "write" because I'm a visual person (does that mean you can see me? LOL) - I'll recite into the recorder anything which comes to mind, including character profiling, an actual scene, or just notes and "what if" scenarios for a scene in my current project.

I'm blessed now because I was laid off from my job with a severance package good enough for me to take a few years off. 

Offline rahaman

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2006, 03:55:47 PM »
writing is easy at any time once there is inspiration and adequate knowledge of the subject matter

Offline Billingsgate

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »
I think I write best at night, between 10:00 pm and 3:00 am. At least that's when I almost religiously used to write, until my wife threatened one time too many that it was either her or the word processor. Having been dumped once by a serious girlfriend who said it was either her or the typewriter (dates me, doesn't it?)...and I tried to have both...I have taken my wife seriously on this.

I still haven't found the "best" time. I work at home, and can't sit and write while work-related stuff is on my mind, so I need to get that over with first to settle my brain. And when the kids come home from school, most of my energy goes toward breaking up fights. So I've kind of settled on that sleepy interim time from around 2:00 to 4:00 in the afternoon each day for writing projects. Pumped up with lots of coffee and ginseng, it seems to work.

Though I still think the witching hours are best for me as a writer.