Author Topic: Toni's flibble wibble, chapter 7, 421 words  (Read 3729 times)

Offline 510bhan

• So many jobs to do . . .
Re: Toni's flibble wibble, chapter 7, 421 words
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 05:30:37 PM »
I've done a few edits to try and improve the chapters but I've got such a bad memory that I can never remember if the edit makes it better or worse so I tend to leave it other than the occasional read-through to make sure it all makes sense and to try and kick-start the inspiration engine going but my memory lets me down again then too  :( 

Just as an example of how bad my memory is, last time I added to it, I added the next chapter number from memory as 12 but I found out about 5 minutes ago that it's actually chapter 20!  Yes, totally serious!

I've got to find a way to start chapter 20 off with Toni apologising to her mum after throwing another strop at her mum at the end of chapter 19 but my muse has had an early night and I don't know how to wake her up!  :(

Have you done a chapter summary/notes to help you keep track of events and the storyline? Might be worthwhile doing then you could see where this might go and start writing again. ;) ;)

If this is your novel you need to take it seriously and put the work in that it deserves.

Offline Amanda George

• Currently editing all my manuscripts!
    • Stories 4 Children
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 06:02:05 PM »
I keep notes at the bottom of the bit I'm writing then delete them when that part has finished but nothing more than that!   :-\

My muse has just kicked into action so I'm writing again thankfully!   :D
There is no beginning or end. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present (unknown)

Money cannot buy happiness but somehow, it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes Benz than it is on a bicycle.

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 06:10:23 PM »
It's still a very handy thing to do so that when you come to write your query letter and provide a synopsis you have the main events already recorded rather than having to read the whole way through and make notes again.

Also very handy when you're editing if you think - oh damn . . . if I had [something] happening earlier on then I could . . . With the summary you can find where to make that adjustment without wrecking the storyline. It keeps the chronology of events straight too. If you write anything with dates or pieces of information that can be time stamped - music/art shows/sports events and suchlike - you can check that it fits with the dates you use/age of attendance and stuff like that. I had a character in one of my books who loved  a particular CD. It wasn't released at the time I needed it (about a year too early) . . . slipped back to one of the earlier chapters and dropped in that she'd been given a present of the CD from a guy who'd gotten a bootleg studio recording ha ha ha [he was just showing off his 'connections'].

Offline Amanda George

• Stories 4 Children
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 06:55:19 PM »
My muse is going strong tonight, just finished chapter 21 and still feeling creative which I haven't done since writing off about the fostering!  :)

Maybe I should keep writing without making notes so that I don't have to worry about stopping mid-idea stream and forgetting what I was saying then make the notes on the first read-through?  It's a good idea, it's just that my memory is too bad to stop when I start writing now in case I loose my train of thought   :-\
There is no beginning or end. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present (unknown)

Money cannot buy happiness but somehow, it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes Benz than it is on a bicycle.

Offline 510bhan

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 06:58:18 PM »
Go with the flow of course, ;D ;D ;D ;D  but when you have those days when it seems your muse has abandoned you - use the time to get your summary done - you'll need it when you've finished and it's a sod to do all in one go, believe me, I've learned from that mistake.

Offline Amanda George

• Stories 4 Children
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 07:24:05 PM »
I seem to get my muse active in the early hours of the morning for some reason (it's 12.22am in the UK) but I'll try and remember to do the notes next time my muse goes on strike  :)

Go with the flow of course, ;D ;D ;D ;D  but when you have those days when it seems your muse has abandoned you - use the time to get your summary done - you'll need it when you've finished and it's a sod to do all in one go, believe me, I've learned from that mistake.

Silt

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 07:32:06 PM »
i could never take notes :P

sometimes though, if a good sentences pops into my mind, i open up a notepad on my puter and writer it in for later.

am glad your muse is back, Amanda :)

Offline Amanda George

• Stories 4 Children
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »
i could never take notes :P

sometimes though, if a good sentences pops into my mind, i open up a notepad on my puter and writer it in for later.

am glad your muse is back, Amanda :)

I've got an ideas document that I add to whenever I get a "must remember this" moment that was originally intended for just my Toni book but it's grown so much that they are now just general ideas!  lol