Author Topic: Word count numbers for tween books and young adult books please?  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Amanda George

• Currently editing all my manuscripts!
    • View Profile
    • Stories 4 Children
Word count numbers for tween books and young adult books please?
« on: February 09, 2011, 07:26:55 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've asked this before but can't find the replies after doing a quick search and looking through my writing documents folder so I'm asking again... sorry!

I don't suppose anyone knows roughly what the word count is for a first time author of a tween book and for that same author writing a book for young adults/teenagers please?

I'm not sure which order they will be published yet which is why I'm asking for the word counts as a first time author on both.

I'm only after a rough estimate so that I know how many words I've got left to play with both for Toni's Flibble Wibble and also Speckles' diary.  My word count so far is:

Toni:  16097
Speckles:  4057 ??? (I could have sworn it was more than that though!  It gives this insomniac something to play with until the morning!  lol)

Thank you!
There is no beginning or end. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present (unknown)

Money cannot buy happiness but somehow, it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes Benz than it is on a bicycle.

Offline Skip Slocum

• Writers are dreamers with pens
    • View Profile
Re: Word count numbers for tween books and young adult books please?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 07:53:38 PM »
check reply number seven in this thread. Is this what you needed?

http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=31949.0
MWC Glossary --> http://mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=41276.0

Offline Amanda George

• View Profile
    • Stories 4 Children
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 08:34:03 PM »
check reply number seven in this thread. Is this what you needed?

http://www.mywriterscircle.com/index.php?topic=31949.0

Bullseye!  Thank you Skip!  It looks like I'm almost half way with Toni's book and I've barely scratched the surface with Speckles which is a relief... I'll concentrate on Speckles for a while so that I can catch up with Toni   ;D
There is no beginning or end. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present (unknown)

Money cannot buy happiness but somehow, it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes Benz than it is on a bicycle.

Offline ed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 08:49:09 PM »
Isn't it somewhere around 60,000 to 90,000 words?

From what I have seen most pages have around 300 words on them and around 300 to 450 pages

Or is that for Teen Fiction?

Offline Amanda George

• View Profile
    • Stories 4 Children
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 09:35:59 PM »
Isn't it somewhere around 60,000 to 90,000 words?

From what I have seen most pages have around 300 words on them and around 300 to 450 pages

Or is that for Teen Fiction?

Yeah, tween and young adults start at 40k so that's what I'm aiming for with both books atm  :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:37:47 PM by Amanda George »