Author Topic: What puts you off writing?  (Read 3652 times)

Offline "lorraineofkeli"

• The World Is Yours!
What puts you off writing?
« on: July 19, 2006, 08:15:20 AM »
We tend to write subjects about what helps us get in the mood for writing - so I thought, what about the opposite - what turns you away from your writing? For me, it's probably all of the modern interferences like TV, computer etc.  We have a subject on music that moves you, well the type of music that wouldn't help me with writing is probably really dancy stuff - I think I would rather do a huge canvas painting to the sound of a dance track, splashing paint everywhere!  :)
Plus there is my own laziness that puts me off.. I will probably use all sorts of things for an excuse NOT to get writing. That's where my block comes in!

DwWin

Re: What puts you off writing?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 09:17:13 AM »
The most common thing that puts me off writing is ME! Whether it's down to "lazyitus" or just by been my own worst critic (i.e. I can't do it justice, I'm not good enough) these are the demons I face.
Everything else is just a convenient excuse leading back to the above.

Offline matsamu

• I'm not a Goof, i'm a spoof on Life
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 11:20:58 AM »
Not finding anything to write about. Seriously, It can be the most beautiful day at the most awesome place on earth...and I'll have writers block. Which is why quite a few of my poems are about writers block and the inability to write. I want to write, but i just can't think of anything. Maybe I have to look for not so beautiful things...maybe darkness is my genre... :'(
*pop* That was my head. It just got blown.

Offline WCA

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 11:39:31 AM »
The only thing that prevents me from writing (in peace) is my little sister's nagging...

Offline Milysmic

• My boy
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 12:44:07 PM »
A couple things put me off from writing, Like my two year old wanting me to draw him his characters, My boyfriend asking whats for dinner or wheres his keys, Stuff like that. But I must admit I too get lazy and don't want to sit and concentrate, or unable to go to the story world. Hey, I wonder what are somethings that could push us?

Milysmic
Milysmic

Offline terrigirl

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 01:57:06 PM »
I have the same prob matsamu, i sit down, i want to write...but i just can't find something that seems important enough to write about.  Most times i just end writing a random sentance and seeing where it takes me which 9 times out of 10 is nowhere particularly special!  Maybe im just being too fussy  ???
Terrigirl<br /><br />My Mum told me I was reading and writing before I was walking and talking

Offline S-wo

• Krystal*Light Union
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 04:15:16 PM »
It's videogames and this computer for me, oh and school too. School just gets me in a depressive mood everyday.

Offline CarrieSheppard

• All it took was a visit to AZ...
    • My blog pages
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 06:21:37 PM »
Don't get down about school - it will have its good points (you'll see I'm right, in about 30 years from now!  ;))

What puts me off writing is HEAT and not getting near the computer (son/daughter/husband).

Carrie

Offline raevan

• Cursor Servant
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 07:01:30 PM »
a) I'm lazy
b) I have a personality that only retains interest in one project for a very fleeting time before it sees something more exciting
c) I don't know what to write about
d) It's not easy and it takes a long time
e) I work full time and want to spend the rest of my time with my husband
f) Computer games are much more relaxing...
g) This bloody forum is too good. (Though I guess I write in the challenges so perhaps it encourages me as well).

Offline Maranda

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 03:41:40 PM »
The TV is an invention, I believe, designed simply to distract me. After working all day, I just want to crash in front of the screen and not think about anything. The other biggest distraction is my boyfriend, especially when we are having a disagreement (although, sometimes that fuels my anger and energy for writing something dark and mysterious). As far as music, I have found that Sinatra and classical music calms me, but the Beatles just make me want to sing instead of write (I love older music, even though I'm young!). And, sometimes, I just can't think striaght and focus, which happens alot.

Offline S-wo

• Krystal*Light Union
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 05:46:23 PM »
not having my own computer also puts me off because my mother has it in her room and she constantly wants me out, so if I had a laptop, I'll probably write a lot more.

Offline awriter

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 11:59:36 AM »
Unless it's a matter of a deadline, sometimes I might invent distractions. Like walking away for what was supposed to be a minute, and an hour later....That's why I tend to go to Starbucks. There, I tend to turn myself into kind of a captive audience

Chuck

deathblackfox

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 12:58:40 PM »
Listening to my older brother blaring his music so I can't think. Normally I listen to the words of my quiter music and words just pop into my head but when hes cranked his music I go blank.