Author Topic: Hello  (Read 2612 times)

Offline peter.boxall

Hello
« on: January 24, 2006, 04:00:03 AM »
Hello to everyone.
I'm, as yet, an unpublished author. This is going to change in 2006!
Looking forward to hearing all your thoughts and tips for conquering the freelance market and getting fiction published. I also hope I can be of use to others. As a nearly 46 years old 'house husband' (what a terrible phrase, in the eight years I've been one I've yet to come up with anything better - any thoughts out there?) I have a slightly different perspective on life, plus my wife is in a minority; a success in the City.
Here's to the future.
Peter

SuzieHarris

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 04:29:59 AM »
Hi Peter,

Wlecome on behalf of all your moderators, Nick, Lin, Aelf and myself.

Feel free to jump in and ask questions!

Have you written anything yet? We would love to hear about it. Why not post a small sample in the review section? You will get honest feedback from aspiring and established authors.

I, like Nick, am an established author and freelance writer, so should you need any help just ask  :D

Suzie

Offline peter.boxall

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 04:59:21 AM »
Nice to hear from you Suzie.
I've a novel that I've received many rejections for. An article about bidets that I've yet to do anything with and I'm halfway through a comedy about Prep School mothers (problem with this one is that it will be about 10,000 words and there doesn't appear to be a market for this length).
So I'm trawling through your pages to gain inspiration. There's a lot of interesting stuff and yes I should get round to posting something shortly. The setting up a blog site with the google link also appears interesting.
Thanks for your interest.
Peter

Offline Symphony

• Put the kettle on
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 08:55:02 AM »
Hi Peter,

Well, all the best with your novel. Don't sit around counting rejection letters - do something positive with them. There are several papier-mache animals and robots hanging around my house, all made from rejection letters!!!!

House husband is no worse than housewife - (a title I deplore)! So don't despair. I think 'father' is just fine!!

Maybe you'd be brave enough to post a few chapters of your novel here at some point - between us all, we might be able to spot whatever it is that the publishers aren't liking!! But, like they say, no use sitting around - time to push on with the next one. Your comedy sounds like fun!

Symphony

Offline peter.boxall

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 09:28:58 AM »
Thanks Symphony,
Yep I'll post both the novel and the Prep mums story soon.
Father? Taxi driver more like!
Must go, school run, then 'Showstoppers!'
Peter

Offline Anitadee

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 10:21:09 AM »
Welcome Peter,
I wish you great success with your writing. I an just entering into the world of fiction writing. I am also a newbee on this site but am finding it most helpful.
Look forward to seeing extracts from your work.
anitadee

Offline peter.boxall

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 11:14:13 AM »
Thanks anitadee. It's been a busy first day.
Peter

Offline mary

• Me and my therapy dog, Woof
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 11:47:58 AM »
Hi peter, just like the traditional Mom (housewife) this is very worthy work. As for a new name how about "Teddy-Daddy" always there with a hug when you need one? Looking forward to seeing your work.  ;D mary

Offline peter.boxall

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 01:43:44 PM »
Teddy-Daddy? Mary have we met before? :D